true difference between cardio and strength training?

Options
When i think of cardio.. my mind goes to running.. when i thinkof strength training my mind goes to lifting..

What are other examples? Can and should they be mixed together ina workout?

Replies

• MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    Cycling is a good cardio exercise, I think swimming is considered cardio as well.

I cycle 5km after each weights session, so it is possible to do them together, I'm not sure if I should, I'm definately not an expert!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell training is a good example of combining cardio and weight training.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Yoga can be modified to focus on cardio, strength or flexibility. Pilates is strength. PiYo is a great strength/cardio combo. There are tons of different cardio exercises - swimming, running, cycling, walking, hiking, stair climbing! Variety is so important!
  • rmcannell
    rmcannell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would say that plyometric exercises would combine cardio and strength training.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i say yes they can be mixed in a workout and they are when it comes to dvd's like 30ds and rin30. as jm says you use the little muscles with the larger ones to burn more calories.
  • tburnelis
    Options
    The trainer I am working with has me doing Plyometrics, Strength, and Cardio each day I work out, in that order.

It starts with Stretching/warmup and 15 minutes of plyometric style exercises. Next comes core exercises, lifting, and finally 20 minutes of cardio (running, elliptical, bike, or rowing).

His focus with me has been building lean muscle, and increasing muscle endurance. By the end of my workouts the part I'm focusing on that day is dead tired.

But like has been said before, there are a lot of exercises that blur that line between cardio and strength. A good workout routine will use both for maximum results.
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    IMO, when it comes to deciding how to choose which exercises to do, it's more about goals + recovery.

Example: A light jog for 30 minutes is easy to recover from. You can literally do that everyday for the rest of your life.

What's NOT easy to recover from?

Example: 30 minutes of deadlifts (even though your cardiovascular system will be taxed)

Therefore...

Traditional cardio: In general can be done daily, because focuses on oxygen / energy systems.
    Strength cardio / HIIT cardio: Not typically done everyday because also taxes the Central Nervous System, ATP system, Glycogen, glycolysis, and aerobic capacity.

That's my take on it, just to stay practical when it comes to programming your exercise routine.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I always do about 20 minutes of Cardio (Insanity Pure Cardio DVD) before weight training to get heart and lungs going and do a light couple of sets with the muscle group I am going to work on to prevent going in cold. I also do about ten minutes of cardio again after resistance training and find it helps to prevent muscle soreness the next day.

Also when going out for a run it is sometimes possible to do pushups and pullups at parks set up for this or woodlands - check the branch is safe before you pull up on it! This way you get to work on your upper body while out for a run and rest your legs for a while if tired.

So yes, cardio and resistance training can and should be combined to prevent injury.