Do you enjoy pushups?

Options

Replies

• Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    This will probably sound really dumb but I do push ups against the sink every time I use the bathroom. Yeah they are totally girly but it is better than none at all. Eventually (sooner rather than later) I will start doing them on the floor. I don't like them but I heard it will help fight some of the affects or age and gravity on my boobs. I am trying to keep them off my belly button.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Suck it up! The results make it worth it. I started out only being able to do maybe 5 strict military pushups in january, now im at 12 in both sets when im doing Jillian MIchaels dvds and the accomplishment makes me feel great!
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I dislike push ups but in the beginning I could only do 5 push ups in a row and now I can do 16. To many that is not much but to me it is a big deal. I have a weak spot on my neck that makes it hard to do push ups. All I know is that someone I never met before came up to me and told me she loves my arms and then proceeded to tell me that I have Michelle Obama arms. As much as I dislike push ups it not only works the shoulders and arms but it is great for your core strength. Keep it up it does get easier.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I like them. Make me feel like a badass.

Still working on handstand pushups, but the day I get a full one, I'll be literally the coolest person that ever lived. Or at least I'll feel like it :)

ETA: As others have said, you can start at an angle, with your hands on a steady surface some distance from the floor (dining room chair could be great, step risers at the gym the best because you can progressively lower more easily) then keep lowering your distance from the floor, until you are flat on the floor. So the first week you are doing them with 5 step risers, then the next week you can do them with 4, then the next week only 3. THEN you can progress by getting your feet progressively higher. That's the real fun :)
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    just keep at it. you'll get there.

next time try to do 2 pushups on your toes then do the rest on your knees. next workout do 3..

just keep working at it. :smile:

I can't even do ONE. I can bring my chest to the floor, but I cannot push myself back up.

I can't even do one either!!!!!!!!! So I stick to girl pushups-I hate those too but I've always wanted to be someone who does push-ups - LOL - i just know my arms and abs would look awesome if i did!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I hate them. I'm doing ChaLean Extreme right now and she says that if you hate pushups it's because you don't do them much. She claims I'll get better at them, but I can't even do ONE "boy" pushup (on my feet). I have to do them on my knees and I can only do maybe 10.

6 Months ago I went through the same thing, I could just barley do 1 push up and my max was 6 pushups on my knees... This morning I did 4 sets of 15 ( regular pushups ) as my warmup... It's funny I was read this thread just after discussing my pushup accomplishment with my buddy.
  • workhardplayhard
    workhardplayhard Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Love em. Every day I do my morning 60 sometimes with my 3yr son surfing on my back while I do them. Makes you have to go slower and more controlled.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    We should stab them until they bleed to death. Quick, while it's quiet.

I would inject them with arsenic. Quick and clean. :P

Air embollism.
    Takes longer to discover and even harder to pin on ME!
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hate them with a feiry passion. Can maybe do a handful of proper ones at a time but hate hate hate doing them.

As someone said above, give me a 5 mile run over a minute of pushups ANY day!
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I can't do very many, but I want to be able to do them! I can only do about 5 pushups on my toes. I read somewhere they are a perfect exercise because they work arms, legs, and core. I figure start with what you can do and work your way up.
  • AudreyinNC
    Options
    Oh man I was beginning to think I was a wuss. I can do maybe 4-5 regular push ups, then I have to go to my knees and I'm doing Jillian thinking how in the F*&*&^k are they doing that? BUT, starting out 2 months ago I could do 1. MAYBE. So now I'm up to 4 or 5. But even the ones on my knees do a number on me. Seriously, those particular muscles have to be my weakest. I dont have a problem doing any of her other stuff, just push ups. Glad to see I'm not alone. I dont HATE them, I just cant DO them. YET.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I started doing just a couple on my knees and I hated them. Now that I can do full push ups I love doing them. I actually prefer the harder ones like military and diamond.
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    OMG! hate 'em! I'm in a Mama Wants Her Body Back- 8 week fitness program. We do plenty of them and I hate every single one that I do! LOL
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Love them. The 100 pushup challenge was great motivation for me.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I hate them. I suck at them. I can do 4 or 5 boy ones, and that's only on an energetic day. To be fair though I couldn't do one 6 months ago so practise does help.
    But still. They're horrible and should die.

I suck at them too - can only do 4 or 5 boy ones and I'm a boy!

I aim to increase the number of pushups I can do by doing as many "boy" ones to failure then drop my knees to the floor and do "girl" ones to ten or failure - three sets with pullups in between so I am doing pull and push in one routine and that's twice a week.

Maybe not call them boy and girl ones really - maybe call them regulars and halfs; calling them boy ones gives too much credit to the boys and takes credit from you girls :drinker:

Come to think of it - why are there boys who can do pretty good weights on bench press but suck at pushups? Possibly because it is harder to cheat the weight up in pushups!
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Try incline pushups, put your hands on the lowest step in a flight of stairs and do them... I always find them slightly more enjoyable.
    You seen
    http://hundredpushups.com ?
  • pt85
    pt85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Aw PU are easy, just gotta do them.

I got some of the Perfect Pushup devices. Followed the instructions and after a few (okay 6 months, okay okay 9 nine months)

I did +1000 push ups in about 3 hours.

Well I put the Perfect Push ups away, but for a while I was buying everybody the damn things.

Push ups are good when you get older cause if you fall down you can push yourself up!

Even if you are young too. If you get drunk and fall down then you can Push yourself up!

The concept is failure. Then do it again in a couple of days. Really look online for the Perfect Pushup instructions even that way of building up will help you.

Good luck!!
  • brown6267
    brown6267 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Checkout the following site: http://hundredpushups.com/. There is a 6-week plan so you can do one hundred pushups. I am on week 3 and I have gained considerable strength. Also, the definition in the shoulders, etc., have been incredible.
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not!.. I hate them. I have to do them on my knees as well and i cant do very many. In fact, my arms and back are killing me from doing them last night. I keep telling myself the same thing.. keep at it and youll get better. Its frustrating at first but I think it will be worth it in the end.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I hate them. I only do them when I'm with my trainer, and then only because she makes me.