Heading off to Disney World...any advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    If your kids agree on one type of drink, by the large souvenir cup to refil it. Eat before you go.

If you're going multiple days, don't try and do it all in one day.

Study the maps so you can route the most efficient path. If you're not big on parades try and gtf outta dodge before it starts or you will have a hard time just getting out of the park

Take a picture with your cell phone of each kid just in case you get separated. Easier to communicate what each kid looks like.
    Bright shirt, all same color. Sounds corny.. I thought it was until i took my own kids.

Take advantage of the mini parades to take a break
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    Have a BLAST!!! Becareful, but don't obsess. Back to the grindstone upon return!!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    If you have any kids that are younger you're going to want to bring a stroller or rent one at the park. You walk soooo much. Even my 5 year old had to use the stroller when we went earlier this year.

Also, depending on how long you're staying, you should really try to make a day in the middle of the week one to relax in. We bought the 5 day access passes and the water parks are included in those but don't count against your days. So, we took one day to just relax around the waterpark and it was really nice.

I also bought a two gallon insulated jug for water with a shoulder strap to carry it by. Every night I froze the bottom half of it and in the morning before we left I filled the rest of it with water. Everyone had reusable bottles that I refilled from the larger jug. It saved us a ton of money as they charge an outrageous amount of money even for bottled water.
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Are you staying at a Disneyworld Resort? They actually have pretty decent food and I would recommend eatting there before after the park. Also, you can get into the park early if you stay there and I would take full advantage of that. I'm not sure how many days you are staying, but if you have a lot of time give the kids some downtime one day. Take them to the pool or movies or something like that. Let them rest up, they will be less cranky. :) I have lived in FL for 4 years and sadly moved this summer. I have been to WDW a few dozen times. if you have a daughter, I would recommend Cinderella's Castle for dinner, but you will need to make a reservation ASAP since it books up. They also have Bibbibty Bobbity Boutique which will dress up a little girl head to toe in her favorite princess attire. They look so darn cute, makes me wish I had a girl. Your snacks sounds good, make sure to drink plenty of water. I have always enjoyed the character breakfasts Disney offers. You can make a reservation well before the park even opens and you will be satisfied for hours. :) Lastly, have a blast enjoy every moment and can I PLEASE come with you. :) hahaha

Charity
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It is winnnnndy today (Im on the east coast of FL though).

If you need to restock snacks find a Super Target. Unless I have coupons, I have found Publix to be expensive. I only go there if I have coupons for things, or am craving Skyline Chili or Graeter's Ice Cream from home (Cincinnati).

:-)

Always eat before you go. Always. Much cheaper and less temptation to grab a snack here, then another one there and so on.

I say skip the park a day altogether and head 40 minutes east and enjoy the beach/ocean....but that is me...my kids vacationed several times a year in FL until we moved here in June and STILL have not been to ANYTHING Disney/Universal! LOL.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    booze?
  • dcmitchell01
    dcmitchell01 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    We LOVE disney!! There are lots of fruit and veggie choices. Have a great time!!! This time of year is the lower crowd season, so it's a great time to go! Not sute how old your kids are but, I agree that on the longer lines, the fast pass is the way to go. There is no cost, it's part of your park ticket, somewhere near the entrance of certain rides you'll see the fast pass machines, and there are always Castmembers (people who work for disney) there to assist. Also, spend some time meandering through the streets at the world showcase at Epcot, sometimes you'll stumble upon little suprises that you might not have other wise known was there. There's a quiet garden area in the UK section, where you just might find Alice and the White rabbit, and in China, you might find Mulan a little but "off the beaten path."
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Oh and also, don't obsess about your food intake. At first, I decided to set my goal at maintenance but logging everything as I was eating it got in the way of spending that time with my family so halfway through the week, I decided with all of the activity I was doing, it would offset it enough and it really did.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    If you are staying at the resort, take advantage of getting their early, so there is time to sneak out for lunch/snack. Early, it's easier to get pics in front of Cinderella's castle. Mickey and miniie are at the very back of the resort most of the time for pics $$.

So if you see a chance for a pose, take advantage of it! The characters are only out there for 15 mins at a time, so keep an eye out. And

They don't talk!
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    -No jeans if you plan on going on water rides (chafing, ouch!!!)

-Don't touch the handrails. If you must, carry like a gallon of hand sani.

-Watch the bees, especially if you or your children are allergic. They are everywhere.

-You have to have to have to take them to the castle if you have a little girl--or hell, even just for you! :)

-Just because it's "outside Disney" does not mean it isn't owned by Disney. They own most of the area surrounding as well, which means higher prices there, too.

-Some places you can buy a refillable cup and refill it for free at any stand of theirs. It's a good deal if you get tired of water.

-Sunscreen. For the love of God, sunscreen.

-Space Mountain is a MUST, but depending on the height of your children they may not be able to go on.

-If they are young, take tons of pictures, because they won't remember it when they are older.

-At EPCOT if you are really cheap like me, they have a place that I think is called Club Cool or something, free soda samples :glasses:

-Rock and Rollercoaster HURTS. It bangs your head around and is not a fun experience. I would not recommend it.
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Oh and park hopper passes are also great!!!
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy yourself - make better decisions but don't fret! Live your life!!
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Its been a few years since i visited disney, but I remember being able to walk up to any of the food carts or fast food vendors and ask for a glass of ice. It was free and meant that we wouldnt have to buy their overpriced water bottles. Also I second the soda pavilion in epcot. Lots of cool flavors that you usually wouldnt try and they are also free, albeit the pavilion is sort of hidden.

My best piece of advice though is to not obsess about food and calories. Yes the food is mainly caloric and unhealthy but hey, your on vacation, you deserve a little break! Dont go overboard and enjoy yourself.

Hope you have a magical time!