249lbs and MFP has my calories at 1460 a day.

question answered

Replies

• Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Right, MFP set your calories to 1460. It wasn't because YOU chose to lose 2 pounds per week.
  • alright, sarcastic saucy answer is now out of the way, now, its time for people of intelligence.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    alright, sarcastic saucy answer is now out of the way, now, its time for people of intelligence.

Haha.

But yes, it's so low probably because you have it set to 2lbs a week, which is fine! It shaves off 1,000 calories from your total, obviously, so that's why it's low-ish.

Could you post more of your statistics? Like height and age?
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Right, MFP set your calories to 1460. It wasn't because YOU chose to lose 2 pounds per week.

Sarcastic, maybe :). But did you choose 2 pounds a week? Because if you did, MFP is going to make a huge cut. Try the recommended 1 or 0.5 pound, which is more reasonable. Better yet, learn about BMR and TDEE and determine a good number to start with yourself. Search BRM and TDEE; there are a number of helpful threads out there.
  • im 5 foot 2 and 26, but i was thinking it might be a bit low cause there are people with 100lbs less then me at the same calorie goal.. so im just wondering if maybe i should try and find another number
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    It does depend on what you chose your goal to be. I would set it at 1lb a week which is a healthy loss, and after a few weeks re-*kitten*.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    im 5 foot 2 and 26, but i was thinking it might be a bit low cause there are people with 100lbs less then me at the same calorie goal.. so im just wondering if maybe i should try and find another number

I'm 5'7" and 165 and I eat 1600 (more on work out days) BUT i'm only set to lose 0.5 lb a week
  • perhaps.. if i lose a few more pounds ill be down to 1390 soon and i couldnt imagine living on that
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    yeah but you get 1460+ eating back whatever exercise calories you burn

so at your size an hour workout can easily burn at least 600 calories which means according to MFP you'd be able to eat 2000 calories a day and still lose 2 pounds a week.

you can also try fat2fit.com i like their idea better because you pick a goal weight and they tell you the calories you'd eat at that weight. that way, you dont have to worry about maintenance since you've already been eating at your maintenance.
  • maybe ill just change it to 1lbs a week and try that.
  • It is low and sounds like you set it to 2 pounds a week.
    You could always try the calorie restriction as is for a couple days and see how you go with that. People will tell you a lot of different things you 'need' to do, but in all honesty you have to do what works best for you and that is a trial and error process.
    Haha, you have no idea how many people told me the only way I would lose is with lo-carb.
  • lol.. my diet is mostly carbs, so i would probably just chuckle to myself if anyone ever told me that.

Anyway, i will try upping the calories for a bit and see how it works out.
  • I am 228pouns and at 1460 calories. It seems low but if you exercise use those calories too.....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    alright, sarcastic saucy answer is now out of the way, now, its time for people of intelligence.

You may not like the delivery but the answer was on point. You chose to lose 2 lbs per week, not mfp. The number is correct. I'm 6'1" and wiegh 226. 1460 has been my calorie goal since I weighed 235.

Make a choice. Accept the calories or change the goal. Either way, it's up to you, not mfp
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    im 5 foot 2 and 26, but i was thinking it might be a bit low cause there are people with 100lbs less then me at the same calorie goal.. so im just wondering if maybe i should try and find another number

It does depend on what you set your goal each week as.

I'm 5'3", currently 188lbs and set mine to 1lb a week and I get 1560. Try changing your goals down to 1lb a week (and honestly you will probably lose more than 1lb a week, I have, I average 1.5-2lbs a week, sometimes 3lbs a week and I don't do anything different from one week to the next, I eat close to my 1560 and exercise 3-4 times a week. Sometimes it just falls off, lol).

But if you do want to stick to your 2lb a week goal, you might be suprised at how much you actually get to eat if you are paying attention to calories, portion sizes and making healthy choices. I'm never hungry and usually have calories left over.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    When I was around that weight range I was set at 1460 also and enjoyed it. I have my settings for 2lbs a week.
    Sometimes I make the 2lbs, sometimes over, sometimes under, but always cause of something I ate or didn't eat.
    Don't worry, after your first 10lbs lost MFP will have a cozy 1:1 with you and discuss renegotiating your numbers and youll miss that 1460 :wink:
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    well... How badly do you want to lose weight quickly?
    There is a school of thought (which I believe in), that if you want to lose a lot of weight, losing it quickly on a low calorie diet will keep you more motivated than having more calories and only losing .5-1 lb per week. For me at least, being allowed to have an extra snack or serving at dinner wouldn't keep me on track if at the end of the week, I had barely lost anything, since I have so far to go.

I would rather eat 1200-1400 calries for a while until I get closer to my goal (I started around the same place as you), so when I get to 200lbs or maybe 180, I may slow my loss a bit
  • kinda lost my first 10lbs, 28lbs ago but thanks lol
  • read this...my settings are TDEE-25%...about 1800 calories a day, and you don't eat your workout calories...I am set at lightly active.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • ssheflin
    ssheflin Posts: 56 Member
    I'm 5foot 2inches and weigh 220, mfp got me at 1350 calories a day. It really isn't too bad, just pick low-calorie foods. You can do it!