I need help with tofu!!

Options
jaimeteague
jaimeteague Posts: 95 Member
I consider myself to be a fairly good cook, but I've never tried to cook tofu. I've eaten it (covered in satay sauce!) a few times and loved it. I really want to cook with it at home but it scares me - what type do I buy and what do I do with it?
Can any one help me please, I'd be really grateful :flowerforyou:

Replies

• serenefractal
    serenefractal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I usually buy firm or extra firm. Drain and squeeze it, then cut it up and mix with pasta and sauce. Or fry with vegetables.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    My mom fried it first, then dumped the rest of the veggies she wanted to make a stirfry with....that kept the tofu's shape and it didnt get crumbled.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Firm or extra firm for a protein replacement, silkin for smoothies or creamy things, I would buy Non-GMO organic though, soy beans are one of the top 10 GMO foods to avoid, http://www.naturalnews.com/035734_GMOs_foods_dangers.html

A great brand to buy is Nasoya, its Non-GMO, organic, and available almost everywhere. http://www.nasoya.com/products/tofu/sprouted-vac-pack.html
  • amycb03
    amycb03 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I always buy extra firm, drain it and cube it, season with salt and pepper and either bake in the oven w/ bbq sauce, cook in frying pan and dip it in sauces or mix with other things like stifry veggies and sauce.

Two great vegetarian bloggers have posts on the best ways to cook tofu: www.dailygarnish.com and www.healthytippingpoint.com.

Enjoy!
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I was nervous the first and only time I bought it too. However, what I did was sneak into dinner on nacho night. Instead of just strictly ground beef I used the crumbled up tofu and mixed it into the ground beef and once I added the taco seasoning, no one had a clue but me :) My next plan is actually to get some this week and use it in stir fry so I'm glad you posted this. It definitely helped me to see that everyone says use the extra firm and drain it.
  • jaimeteague
    jaimeteague Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone x
  • LyneLM
    LyneLM Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for years: in a big Ziploc bag, I marinate the tofu (cut up or in slices) overnight in either chicken or beek stock (condensed not reconstituted, no water added), with seasonings (example: soy sauce, ginger, garlic, grilled sesame oil - just a tad). The next day, I grill the whole batch in a bit of oil. My kids love it. You can keep leftovers in the fridge, reheat in the microwave or use cold in salads.
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My mom fried it first, then dumped the rest of the veggies she wanted to make a stirfry with....that kept the tofu's shape and it didnt get crumbled.

^^this is what my hubby and I do, too.