Is this real life? (Exercise Database)

There are categories for "Cooking", "Music" and "Mild Stretching" but nothing for Sprints, Hills, HIIT, or any very intense activity.

Seriously? No wonder people can't lose weight. Brb, burning 700 calories playing the piano, going to reward myself with a bag of chips.

And I'm aware I can create my own exercises, I just think the default choices are absolutely ridiculous.

Replies

• xxbookwormbabexx
    xxbookwormbabexx Posts: 92 Member
    Agreed!
    I think that only activities intended to be exercise should be logged.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Haha, you really can add piano! HIIT piano? Flight of the bumble bee, 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    BBQ CHIPS OR SALT& VINEGAR ?
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    There are categories for "Cooking", "Music" and "Mild Stretching" but nothing for Sprints, Hills, HIIT, or any very intense activity.

Seriously? No wonder people can't lose weight. Brb, burning 700 calories playing the piano, going to reward myself with a bag of chips.

And I'm aware I can create my own exercises, I just think the default choices are absolutely ridiculous.

Love this. The food preparation one kills me. I unfriended this chick she daily logged 1000 calories burned for food preparation. Seriously.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    "people can't lose weight."? IDK about you, but I am, and I see lots of before and after success stories.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    This bugs the crap out of me as well.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member

right! i dont count cleaning or shopping ever thats just dumb.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    so can i count blow drying my hair then?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    so can i count blow drying my hair then?

if you want.
  • teenio7
    teenio7 Posts: 104 Member
    (username) burned 656 calories doing 175 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Music playing, piano, organ, violin, trumpet"

haha if that's true, I should really learn how to play...
  • tino124
    tino124 Posts: 25
    I'm going to petition MFP to include Remote (Changing Channels) as their next exercise to add to the database.

/facepalm
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Hi guys, I DO play the violin and the only sweat I break out is when I have a difficult solo to play in a theatre full of people. I really wish I DID burn up those cals, it might make me do more practice!! Music, late nights and curries and parties with cast and crew are a surefire way to put on weight over a period of time but I had had a lot of fun\1. I am now paying the price and trying to lose it!! I have a show coming up soon so, as an experiment, will eat up to my cal level but do no exercise, apart from playing violin, and see if I lose any weight. Theoretically I should lose more than my weekly assigned rate. All for the sake of scientific research! I will let you know how I get on...
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    As a musician, I do log rehearsal. I don't eat those calories back, but I do log it as an activity. It is not part of my daily routine (unfortunately), there are muscles being used (I play woodwind instruments), and it is good for my brain. It does not take the place of cardio workout or strength training, nor do I use it as an excuse to dive into a bag of anything. Don't knock it.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    (username) burned 656 calories doing 175 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Music playing, piano, organ, violin, trumpet"

haha if that's true, I should really learn how to play...

If he/she was practicing with the marching band it is possible
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    right! i dont count cleaning or shopping ever thats just dumb.
    People that cook many hours a day on a regular basis can just state they have a „Lightly active” lifestyle. That is like having a job that implies standing most work hours. If people are „Sedentary” and log cleaning and cooking this may be ok, but if people are at least „Lightly active” they should not log these small thing, because that is included in being active.

But there always are exceptions.
    Doing a whole day cleaning around the house, moving funrniture and many hard things that occur rarely... someone could log this.
    Or cooking a 4-6 hours for a family reunion, besides being active like in „normal days”.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    "people can't lose weight."? IDK about you, but I am, and I see lots of before and after success stories.

Me too.

My biggest issue is that every single exercise I've entered is WAY overstated when I compare it to my HRM. That might by more of the reason that progress slows, not how you create your calorie deficit.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Jerry Lee Lewis could lose weight playing a piano.

imager.php?id=753720&t=o
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Well, much to the amusement of my Friends, I included "humping" in today's exercise log. My parents needed some furniture moving. :bigsmile:

I don't intend to eat the calories back, mind... purely added it for amusement value because I am an attention *kitten*. :happy:
  • I agree to some extent, but I also clean really vigorously... As in I purposefully turn it into a workout and sweat my butt off doing it... So I log half of what I do on those days ;D