I think a healthy lifestyle change made me 'boring'

Options

Replies

• castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Find a 5K near you and set your sights to do the run. Look at the www.vrbo.com website and pick a nice place to travel to. VRBO stands for vacation rental by owner. You can find a place you can afford anywhere in the world on that site. So use your weekends to ready yourself for the marathon you are going to be in, or the 5K, or the trip you are going to go on.
    Read books, take horseback riding lessons, winter is coming, if you can't ski, learn to ski. Meet upbeat positive healthy active fun people. Drop the "old crowd" let them waste away. Get on with your life and make it a healthy happy one. Turquoise water and palm trees are awful nice!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I quit weed last year, and getting off that had me depressed for months. I adjusted after about 12 weeks or so, but I just felt so isolated and hopeless for those first months after getting off the drugs. Exercise helps, but mostly you just have to get to the other side.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    When I decided to lose weight, I stopped drinking and smoking weed for obvious reasons (too high in calories, makes me lazy/tired, no motivation, etc) and now I have nothing to do on weekends and it seems like no one wants to hang out with me anymore. I understand that I have to be boring for a little if I want to make changes, but not being around people makes me isolated and depressed. I don't know what to fill my time with besides going out and exercising. Which is good, but that doesn't take 12 hours to do. Ugh, I don't want to be alone. What would you guys suggest I do to take my mind off of things and will fulfill my weekends?

you don't need to be drunk or stoned to be interesting.

in fact, as you get a little bit older, you'll realize that people who go through life drunk and/or stoned are losers and you shouldn't waste your time trying to be like them.

there are lots of people out there who don't drink (or only drink occasionally and don't do drugs). in fact, that's most people. they lead fun, productive, happy lives. there's alot to do in life that doesn't revolve around recreational drug use.

I am one of those people that rarely drinks and hasn't smoked weed since high school (however, I'm in my 40s). I certainly don't think I'm boring.

I belong to several running groups, go to concerts, photograph a lot of local bands, go to movies, theater, go for walks with friends, etc.

Find new friends. If there's nothing organized at your college, try Meetup.com--it has a zillion different groups around all different types of interests. You might even try looking on MFP for a group based in your geographic area (or start one if there isn't anything organized yet)
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There are great suggestions here also have you looked into any volunteering? Find a organization that you feel passionate about then check into it. When I did a lot of volunteer work I met great like minded people. There were a few that became friends but this is a way to get out there and do something rewarding and meet people at the same time.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel because I've felt like that in the past. Over the years I've had a lot of different peer groups but one thread through them all was alcohol and drugs. the drugs part is an issue because its a bit of a deal breaker, its hard to go hang around with people after you decide to quit / have a break because usually stoners/party people spend a lot of time high as ****.

I spent the last 5 years djing in london and other places and got quite accustomed to free drinks and mdma, cocaine, ketamine etc. my eating habits we're terrible and I also didnt sleep much because I had a full time job also.

after all of that and a 15 year span of mild drug use and drinking to have fun, I really didn't know what to do other than that to have fun. it really does take time. i'm trying to meet people who share the same interests that I do, I'm going to cantonese classes to improve my cantonese, I go to a lot of movies and spend more time with my family.

I don't really have any close friends (im in a new city) but its ok because I finally quit doing drugs, something I could never say before. it is hard to fill that space, and infact I felt like such a square at the beginning, I didnt know what people did for fun. infact im still learning. I go camping and hiking, photography.

but yah, like a few people already said, you need to make some new friends. you're not alone, so do i :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions already.

Maybe I'm an old fuddy dud, but you know what I find really boring? People who are in their 30s, 40s, 50s and beyond who still boast about getting "like... sooooo wasted."

You're not getting boring. You're growing up. That's a good thing. :flowerforyou:
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Volunteer for a local good cause
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm not a super devout Christian but I did start hanging out at the Methodist student center in College because they had swing and salsa dance lessons and also community lunch once a week and a prayer breakfast (which I ultimately ran my third year being involved). You'd be amazed what kinds of fun you can have with that crowd. Movie nights, pot luck dinners,game nights, trips to other towns/cities to check out a restaurant or concert. There's no limit to what you can do! :-)
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions here.
    Thanks guys<3
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm an old fuddy dud, but you know what I find really boring? People who are in their 30s, 40s, 50s and beyond who still boast about getting "like... sooooo wasted."

You're not getting boring. You're growing up. That's a good thing. :flowerforyou:

most days, i'm down at the local post office around 4:30PM-5:00PM to check my PO Box and to mail things. on fridays, there is always a steady stream of middle-aged guys in pickup trucks, pulling into the liquor store next door to the post office.. going in and coming out holding a case of beer or whatever. it's obvious these people never outgrew high school. they are simply numbing themselves to life and before they know it, their life will be done and they will have missed out on actually living it. i just don't get it. if their lives are so miserable that they have to seek escape in a bottle, why don't they get up and make positive changes their lives? go after the root problem, so to speak.
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! Not only do a number of my friends like to drink and get stoned, an unusually high number of them are also foodies who like to hold dinners and go to restaurants. Then there's a few who hold the whole healthier and fitter lifestyle thing in contempt or, somehow worse, indifference. I've found myself either opting out or being excluded from a lot of stuff.

My solution was to take up hiking. I not only take solo hikes; but I joined a local hiking group as well. And then an R.E.I store opened up nearby and I've been eyeing classes and some of the trips they offer. While I miss my old friends, I'm enjoying the new people i'm meeting and the new things I'm trying and doing. LOL, I'm an introverted booky geeky type with limited social skills and I'm *still* managing to make friends in spite of myself!

Maybe, (and admittedly just maybe) one or two of your hold friends might be inspired by you and cross over :-)

I hope you find your "thing."
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    No offense, but if these friends of yours only want to hang out with you if you smoke, what kinds of friends are they?
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    try some classes, whether physical or not, you will have fun and meet new people.

all of my old friends have dropped by the wayside in the past 2 years. i met a great group of people in my zumba class, and there are 8 of us that hang out all the time. go to movies, dancing, walking, just talking, zumba, etc....I recently spent the weekend with my husband and these 8 ladies and their significant others, it was fantastic. they are not all exercise nuts, but they all like to exercise a little or a lot, and we found tons more that we have in common. my 'social calendar' has never been so full!
  • taylorromanyk
    Options
    I'm actually going through the same thing.
  • onyxviolet
    Options
    Hi, maybe you can still do things with your friends that don't revolve around food & drinking & drugs? Like, I know this sounds kind of funny, but sometimes doing childish things as a teenager/adult is super fun :) I'm talking about swimming pools with those giant amazing slides (you can't eat & you're exercising too!) & then like have girly movie nights in but instead of popcorn you can have a giant fruit bowl munch out :D I'm thinking of things I've done in the past, hehe. OH OH I JUST REMEMBERED: you can have like, 'pamper' sleepover nights with your girly friends :) painting nails, facials & all that shizzle. You can't eat whilst your nails are drying ;)

♥♥♥
  • haleyvision
    Options
    x
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    No excuses! I've never had a drink nor touched a drug in my life, not even in college, and I've always had plenty of friends. It's not like I'm some religious or health nut either. I have a good time, my friends, both current and past, drink all the alcohol and smoke all the weed and we laugh and talk and chill. Just because I'm sober doesn't mean I'm a stick in the mud. Not by a long shot.

You don't have to get lit to have a good time and you don't have to be drunk to be fun to be around. Don't let anybody tell you different. Either your old friends accept you as you are or **** them, go get some new friends.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Look, you should congratulate yourself. You won't find yourself fat, drunk (or stoned) and stupid in a few years.

You can still go out, but maybe not iin a way that makes drinking or taking drugs the focal point. Catch some live music at a club. Or maybe make the club an after activity, as in after dinner, or music, or a movie, or a play.

Join a club. Cycling, running, skiiing. Whatever. Join a health club.

How about developing your mind. Join a book club, take a class. How about art? Start going to museums. Or take an art class. What about cooking? It helps to know how to cook when you are trying to stay healthy. And if you took a cooking class, you might meet others like yourself.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same exact thing. I started graduate school last year and it seems that a lot of the people who are part of my graduate program revolve their social lives around drinking and smoking.

It's really hard for me to have a good time when I'm trying to resist the temptation to let myself loose - whether it be food, the booze, or the weed - especially since I'm trying to feel comfortable with new people.

Lately, I've been spending a lot of time alone with my fiance and working out...I find that I have trouble *wanting* to hang out with other people. We spend a lot of time with my fiance's family - but other than that I don't have much of a social life...

Anyhow, I know how you feel and you're not alone. Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of good advice! I do like some of the suggestions to join REI hiking groups though - that sounds like a blast!!