Have you become am intimidator? When did you realize?

Options
super_monty
super_monty Posts: 419 Member
:tongue: Remember starting the gym and being unfit? Getting on the treadmill next to the ace sprinter or struggling to lift that tiny weight next to the hulk lifting the equivalent of a small car? And think are they laughing at me?

You know those people in the gym who run solid or lift heavy and look like a serous gym dude or dudess, who intimidate the unfit newbies just by working out?

I did an hour run while a young chubby lad couldn't finish a 10 minute speed walk then jumped off to lift the heaviest weights on the cables.

I knew then I was getting there and could see the finish line, anyone else get that ?

When did you realize you had become one of them?

Replies

• rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    :tongue: Remember starting the gym and being unfit? Getting on the treadmill next to the ace sprinter or struggling to lift that tiny weight next to the hulk lifting the equivalent of a small car? And think are they laughing at me?

You know those people in the gym who run solid or lift heavy and look like a serous gym dude or dudess, who intimidate the unfit newbies just by working out?

I did an hour run while a young chubby lad couldn't finish a 10 minute speed walk then jumped off to lift the heaviest weights on the cables.

I knew then I was getting there and could see the finish line, anyone else get that ?

My moment was deadlifting 185 with a pretty butch guy staring in awe. Jaw dropped and eyes wide. It made me feel like quite the big-shot!
  • super_monty
    Options
    It's not given me an ego just further motivation to continue.

I think i am rather approachable in the gym and have talked to men my age, most of the advice tbh has come from people on MFP and I just passed it on.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    At my gym on thursday nights we go outside and do a 10 station circuit that includes flipping giant tires, shoulder pressing logs, sledge hammering, etc. I work with my trainer and he is a beast who really makes these workouts as hard as possible. There are only about 3 of us who do it regularly and most of the "big" dudes at the gym just walk by and shake their heads like we are insane. The trainer asks when they are going to come give it a shot and everyone says "maybe next time man"... they never show.
  • super_monty
    Options
    so it's cool to be on your high horse and judge the "chubbies," now? classy.

I still consider myself this way strange self image and that, not on high horse at all i still lack a lot of confidence,

And chubby I thought was a kinder way to describe someone who was over weight and he was chubby, I didn't use it as a put down or generilzed people, why so touchy?
  • rlmadrid
    Options
    I also used to walk past all th pretty, lululemon clad girls in the spin-class thinking "one day I can keep up"

I can now.... I mean, it's subjective. My 75% is probably wussy next to the pro's, but I'm pretty proud :smile:
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    PT told me I had inspired another female gym member to start strength training which is flattering. I suspect most people find me scary, I am in there every day and work really hard. I have also had a few run ins with other members - oops.

A far cry from the obese woman who didn't have a scooby 14 months ago.
  • super_monty
    Options
    I also used to walk past all th pretty, lululemon clad girls in the spin-class thinking "one day I can keep up"

I can now.... I mean, it's subjective. My 75% is probably wussy next to the pro's, but I'm pretty proud :smile:

Yeah there are still some guys who are bulking but they are all cool, i steered away from then at 1st but they are really cool to talk to.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    while a young chubby lad couldn't finish a 10 minute speed walk then jumped off to lift the heaviest weights on the cables...

maybe he was just doing a quick warm up before a session of lifting. I do my cardio outside of the gym. when i go to the gym, it's for weights. i use the treadmill or elliptical for a very short time, maybe 10-15 minutes, just to get warmed up. i see some of the users smirk, one even said to me once, "had enough?" I invited them to do a cardio workout with me. like to see THEM keep their heart rate in the training zone for a solid hour....

anyway, i knew i was an 'intimidator' in my cardio class, when I returned after missing just one class, and many people told me that no one worked out in my 'spot' during the class i missed. :tongue: some of us regulars are quite fond of our place, and others consider it more like territorial.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Hmm I never really thought about it. I know people look at me while Im on the elliptical because I go kind of crazy on the thing. I never wanted to intimidate anyone by it. And down in the weight room I am not nearly one of the big guys....yet. : )
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

When I was running on the treadmill the other night and was being watched by two 20-somethings on the nearby machines...and when I finished one girl says to me: "I can't wait til I can run as long as you can!"

People have a bit of an issue with the "chubby young lad" comment...but I think I see what you mean. It's when you realize your own strength, or endurance, or when someone points out that you've inspired them...that is a huge WIN for me!

Cheers to your success!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I lead a bike ride and had mention that one ride was non-technical and we would do some single track - well, a moss covered bridge, wet, made me crash into the river on the side of a steep hill. One of the guy told me later that a) it made me more human b) it scared the **** out of him because "if he crashed, I gotta walk this section" became his mantra for a while.
    In the gym, I am one of the chubbies, except for the leg press which I seem to own.

The gym is intimidating. Areas or machines are less used because of that. One of the reasons I don't use the spin cycles is I don't want to come across as the older guy sneaking into the women's class - I have/had a stationary bike set up at home, I'm more comfortable doing my routine there (need to find the parts since my move).
  • Carrie3B
    Carrie3B Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I feel great when I am running my sprints at the gym or lifting heavier than a lot of other woman. Of course I work out with a trainer 2 times a week and any pride that I may have previously had is gone very quickly as he has me looking ridiculous half the time. Those sessions bring me right back to reality--I'm definitely not "hot stuff" LOL!!
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that moment yet. I can't wait till it happens to me. :bigsmile:

Friend on the other hand had guys give him dirty looks when he was deadlifting 200lbs. Which i think was a sign of job well done.

Some people get take it the wrong way though.

Couple of the gyms i've been to there's too much ego and people get the wrong impression. Too much testosterone's and juice monkeys and you just want to gto of there. I'm glad my location now isn't like that. Everyone is respectful.
  • rlmadrid
    Options
    I feel great when I am running my sprints at the gym or lifting heavier than a lot of other woman. Of course I work out with a trainer 2 times a week and any pride that I may have previously had is gone very quickly as he has me looking ridiculous half the time. Those sessions bring me right back to reality--I'm definitely not "hot stuff" LOL!!

I think you're hot stuff. Your profile pic is pretty inspirational. If you still have a ways to go, I'm pretty far back from the finish line :smile: keep at it!
  • super_monty
    Options
    I was NOT being judgmental he was overweight as I was.

Nor could I run for 10 mins when I started some people on here are way to touchy, nor did I use the term 'chubbies' for **** sake.

One of the women in my gym lift heavier than most of the men, thats pretty cool.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The first time I did a full set of clapping pull ups :glasses:
  • rlmadrid
    Options
    I was NOT being judgmental he was overweight as I was.

Nor could I run for 10 mins when I started some people on here are way to touchy, nor did I use the term 'chubbies' for **** sake.

One of the women in my gym lift heavier than most of the men, thats pretty cool.

Just let it go. Those not looking to instigate got the point. Be proud of the success you have had and look forward to seeing that young man improve.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    pretty much since i started lifting 2 plates on the bench. I'm only 150lbs at 5'9" so it's funny because I can just see how people are staring. like wtf how that kid do that??
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    pretty much since i started lifting 2 plates on the bench. I'm only 150lbs at 5'9" so it's funny because I can just see how people are staring. like wtf how that kid do that??

Your profile pic is you at 150lbs??!? Jesus ****. =O
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Not so much at the gym, but rather in public.

I noticed I am a lot bigger and fitter than most people.

And I can be a bit intimidating, I think, people look away look down

and seem to get nervous. I don't do it on purpose, I am generally a super friendly

dude who would lend anyone 10 bucks if they needed it.

It is funny though, it is different than what I am used to.