"Heavy" lifting? (particularly women)

Options
I noticed several women have mentioned their success with heaving lifting.
I'm wondering just how heavy the weights are that you're lifting?

What would your typical number of sets/reps look like for various exercises, and how many lbs?

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    The actual amount depends on your strength - it can vary quite a bit between people.
    Number of sets/reps when people say "heavy" is usually something like 3-5 sets of 5 reps, or maybe 3 sets of 8-12 at the most.
    AFTER you get comfortable with your form for a given lift, you would choose the heaviest weight you could manage for the given number of reps.

Just as an example, for back squats (barbell on the back, squatting down very low and standing back up), I use 120 pounds for 5 sets of 5. There are women at my gym who lift reguarly using as little as 70 pounds or as much as 200 pounds for the same number of sets / reps, depending on their strength. When I started about 2 years ago I'd use more like 40-60 pounds (I think) for the first couple of months, just getting used to the technique. Once I was comfortable with it, I could do about 90 pounds, and then have added a little each month since then, with some break periods where I was focused on running instead.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what program you follow.

For example, I do Strong Lifts 5x5 - so I do 5 reps of each exercise for 5 sets. A lot of women do a program called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" which could have you doing 12 reps per set.

Heavy is relative. It means "heavy for you." I can squat 135 right now, but some women can't squat that much. Some can squat a lot more (cheers ladies!!). You just start with a weight you think you can manage and then build from there. And it's all about form - you should be using a weight that's heavy for you but still low enough that you can use proper form to complete the lift. It's not worth using bad form and risking injury just to say that you can lift x number of lbs.

You need to take the time to find a program that you want to do. Google Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, and The New Rules. Check out books from your library. Talk to a personal trainer if you think you need guidance.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    bumping! also just getting started!
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    I'll speak up for the wimpy section ;)...

A year of chemo and radiation played havoc with my body and my muscle strength was shot. I started lifting on 9/8/12 and started out with just body weight. The following week I squatted with just the barbell (non-olympic probably weighs about 6 lbs) and two 4.4 lbs weights. I'm just about a month in now and today I squatted 40 lbs. My deadlift is up to about 70 lbs. I do 5 sets of 5 reps.

My numbers are low for sure...but we all have to start somewhere :).
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    x_JT_x good for you! Your numbers are not that low at all, much better than many people ever do who didn't have those health problems to overcome. You are awesome.
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that it depends on personal strength, fitness level, etc...but I can give you my numbers so you have an idea. I am 6'0", CW 189, SW 217. I played volleyball and threw shot put and discus in high school, so I did a lot of lifting then and was really excited to start lifting heavy again at the start of this semester of college. I lift 4 times a week, alternating upper and lower body. I do 4 sets of each lift, reps 15, 12, 10, 8. I do a lot of different lifts, but I'll tell you where I'm at currently with some of the core lifts (these are the weights I am using for the last set of 8 reps):

Upper:
    Bench- 75
    Decline Bench- 85
    Cable Fly- 40
    Hammer Curls- 20
    Wing Raises- 25
    Cable Rows- 90
    Lat Pull Downs- 95

Lower:
    Back Squat- 125
    Leg Press- 230
    Dead Lift- 145
    Lunges- 30
    Calf Raises on Machine- 100
    Closed Leg Squats- 105
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    x_JT_x good for you! Your numbers are not that low at all, much better than many people ever do who didn't have those health problems to overcome. You are awesome.

Awww, thank you!! Aren't you sweet! I was thinking my numbers were pretty 'bottom of the barrel' at the moment. But I'm enjoying it and I'm making progress so I'm happy. I won't even tell you what my Overhead and Bench Presses are...unless you need a good laugh ;).
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    look in to Crossfit it's really expense but you can youtube enough to get an idea of what to do
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of success with Stronglifts 5x5. My 5x5 squat weight was 135 lbs. DL was 185 lbs. Bench was 85 lbs.

I worked my way up steadily from just the bar for squat (45 lbs), 60 lbs starting on DL, and just the bar (45 lbs) for the bench. It took me about 6 months to get those gains with the most difficulty on the bench since my upper body is far weaker than my lower.

Generally, "heavy" weight training refers to lifting a weight WITH PROPER FORM for 8-10 reps to failure. After 8 reps, it should be very difficult to do more.
  • kdapy
    kdapy Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks. This is helpful... I have a copy of the New Rules of Lifting book, so I've been reading up!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dont think of it as weight as much as percentages of your 1 rep max.

when i lift for strength (AKA heavy lifting) i lift 80-95% of my 1 rep max 5 reps of 5 sets.

i only do compound lifting because i dont have time, inclination or patience do be cooped up in a weight room for more than 60 minutes.
    current weights:

deadlifts: 210
    back squat: 180
    BB row: 120
    bench press: 120
    overhead press: 75
    push press : 90
    power clean : 100
  • Kylieikerd
    Options
    Do you need a barbell for this? I have heavy dumbells and would love to start lifting without going to the gym (closest one is 30 miles)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what program you follow.

For example, I do Strong Lifts 5x5 - so I do 5 reps of each exercise for 5 sets. A lot of women do a program called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" which could have you doing 12 reps per set.

Heavy is relative. It means "heavy for you." I can squat 135 right now, but some women can't squat that much. Some can squat a lot more (cheers ladies!!). You just start with a weight you think you can manage and then build from there. And it's all about form - you should be using a weight that's heavy for you but still low enough that you can use proper form to complete the lift. It's not worth using bad form and risking injury just to say that you can lift x number of lbs.

You need to take the time to find a program that you want to do. Google Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, and The New Rules. Check out books from your library. Talk to a personal trainer if you think you need guidance.

This. :happy:
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'll speak up for the wimpy section ;)...

A year of chemo and radiation played havoc with my body and my muscle strength was shot. I started lifting on 9/8/12 and started out with just body weight. The following week I squatted with just the barbell (non-olympic probably weighs about 6 lbs) and two 4.4 lbs weights. I'm just about a month in now and today I squatted 40 lbs. My deadlift is up to about 70 lbs. I do 5 sets of 5 reps.

My numbers are low for sure...but we all have to start somewhere :).

Anyone who starts lifting (no matter the weight!) after a year of chemo & radiation is a rock star in my book. =)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Another aspect of heavy lifting is regularly increasing the amount you lift. So, yes, you can start with dumbbells, but you unless you have access to a while range of sizes (like at a gym) you're probably going to outgrow them.

I'm finishing stronglifts 5x5 12 week program tomorrow.

From September to now...
    Bench: 65 pounds --> 100 pounds
    Squat: 45 pounds --> 157 pounds
    Overhead Press: 45 pounds --> 70 pounds
    Row: 65 pounds --> 105 pounds
    Deadlift: 75 pounds --> 160 pounds
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that Stronglifts is just a 12 week program or that it is finished at some arbitrarily set duration. You would be finished with it when you are no longer capable of adding weight every workout after proper deloads and eating and resting enough to support strength gain.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    I'm not sure that Stronglifts is just a 12 week program or that it is finished at some arbitrarily set duration. You would be finished with it when you are no longer capable of adding weight every workout after proper deloads and eating and resting enough to support strength gain.

"Finish" for me just means "take a little break for about a week, then dig right back in." :smile:
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

"Finish" for me just means "take a little break for about a week, then dig right back in." :smile:

Oh see you should have said "take a deload week." Learn your heavy lifting terminology woman! ;)
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Oh see you should have said "take a deload week." Learn your heavy lifting terminology woman! ;)

I refer to pliers as "pinchy grabby things." I'm not good at terminology. :laugh:
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    A lot of women do a program called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" which could have you doing 12 reps per set.

NROLFW have various stages each with a different number of sets/reps. Right now I have different excercises that are 3 sets 1 rep, 10 sets 2 reps, and 4 sets 10 reps. It changes each time you workout. It has been a great program but if you have NO experience lifting I wouldnt suggest it for extreme beginners. It seems to me something simple like stronglifts would be the best way to go. OP feel free to friend me and/or ask questions.

- JoAnna