i have hypothyroidism, but able to lose 30lbs!

i have hypothyroidism, it seemed impossible to shed the weight. but i did. i lost 30 pounds. i thought i could do it in 6 months (my original plan), but it took me a year.

but no matter how long it took me, i'm still proud that i overcame the fact that i have a thyroid disorder and was still able to shed the weight. I still continue to try and keep going as I have about 12 more pounds left to lose.

no excuses!

thanks for letting me share.

31 years old, 5'0", 3 kids, hypothyroidism since 2009
starting weight: 167.8lbs
today's weight: 137.6lbs
goal weight: 125lbs

30poundslost_zpsd8c0867e.jpg

30poundslost1_zpsb293f247.jpg

Replies

• very nice, congratulations =) i dont think i would be able to do it.
  • Dilite2
    Dilite2 Posts: 25
    Congratulations, you look amazing. It is good to know with hard work and perseverance can achieve success. I had hypothyroidism for about 18 years and always battled with weight going up, good to know it can be done..
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Woo hoo! Congratulations! Awesome of you to persevere. You're an inspiration :-)
  • dogluvr3
    dogluvr3 Posts: 11
    Fantastic!!! I was beginning to lose hope that there was anyone out there with hypo who could lose!!! I need positive stories to gear myself up for my own battle! (Diagnosed one month ago)
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Awesome! Good work girl! I have been on meds for the last 10 years. Finally got rid of the excuse and made it happen!
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Fantastic!!! I was beginning to lose hope that there was anyone out there with hypo who could lose!!! I need positive stories to gear myself up for my own battle! (Diagnosed one month ago)

I've lost 75lbs in 14 months! It is duable! I've been on meds for 10 years.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    That's persistence! Good for you .... you look great
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    That's excellent! You look happy and fantastic, and you have exactly the sort of attitude we should all have towards weight loss, whether we've got metabolic issues or not. :flowerforyou:
  • hilsidney
    hilsidney Posts: 93 Member
    Wow! Awesome work. What all did you do to lose the weight? Maybe there is hope for me! I have hypothyroidism too and find it so difficult to lose weight.
  • spookygirl67
    spookygirl67 Posts: 9 Member
    Awesome job!!!! Yay you! I too have hypothyroid and know what a struggle it is to loose weight.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    I was diagnosed 14 years ago-doing well on meds. I am over 50 too, so weight doesn't come off as easily. And I have hypoglycemia so I am paranoid of getting hungry because of the symptoms when the sugar drops.

I reached a point a year or so ago that enough was enough. My knees hurt and I have a bad back and I had gained 30 pounds over the years.

I used every excuse in the book. I can't go crazy, so I just started logging. I now exercise more than I did too, but not enough.

I have cut back from morning til night. I am now at an 11 pound loss from about a year ago. Less cream in my coffee, less bread, bagels, more fruits, veggies, more protein, more planning, less snacking and a lot less mindless eating all the time, smaller dinners, more planned dinners, tons more water, vitamins, and added mfp pals : )

I wish you all well and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    I was diagnosed a little less than 2 years ago. Since then I started meds and have put a lot of effort into my health and fitness. I've lost 88 pounds, it's been a long journey but SO worth it. Never thought it could be possible!! My endocrinologist says it's 99% because of the lifestyle changes and not the medicine, but I think that 1% is the missing link I always needed. Congrats to you!!
  • Mrsjaybob
    Mrsjaybob Posts: 156 Member
    I was diagnosed in 1997 with Hypothyroidism. Found the top endocrinologist in the region and cried the day he passed away. My current doctor still keeps me at the level my former endocrinologist had me at. Current guy says the levels are a little high but if this is where Dr. Mac wanted me, that's where he's leaving me. If you can convince your internist to let your thyroid run just a little high, you might have better luck. I take 9 tablets a week 200 micrograms each. Also - don't use the generic it can range in strength a lot. This was some of the research that Dr. Mac did. Would not let me take anything but brand name Synthroid because the generic just is not the same or as good.

Good luck!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Great work!
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    I have hypothyroidism since 2005 and I have lost 73 lbs, it has been hard but yes you can do it!
    I'm 5'3
    starting weight 196
    current weight 123
    and I'm 45,....they say losing gets harder when you get older....hahaha
  • Log_n_Jog
    Log_n_Jog Posts: 64 Member
    Thank you for sharing your story and pics! I have hypothyroidism, too, and I have been on this journey for two years. Your pictures give me hope that I will be able to shed my post baby belly if I just keep working at it! :)
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    wow great job! I have hypothyroidism myself and have lost 25 pounds so far it's a very hard journey
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!