is it bad to be under on calories, but over on protein, carb

tlapdx72
tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I am just wondering how bad it is to be under on your calories, but to go over on fat, protein and carbs?

Replies

• Jb27
    Jb27 Posts: 71 Member
    I have noticed that I have been over on protein most of the time a few times over on fat but still under on cals and i still lost weight, i would try not to be over all the time with the carbs and fat , i lost 11 pounds just in December when i joined and was really keeping count, i have been on vacation the last few weeks and have been off track! I'm starting today to really try and stay on the program and under or right at my calorie goal. Good luck to you!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
    From what I understand MFP understimated protein sometimes so being over on protein would be okay. I would be worried about being over on carbs and fat. The only reason you should need more carbs is if you are training for a race (marathong or something).
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 315 Member
    If you are working out, I've been told it's not bad to go over on protein because that can only help with your muscle toning. As far as the fat grams, that is the other important content besides calories we must keep an eye on. Go out for a walk or do some type of exercise to offset the fat & to use those carbs.
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    This is tough question, I just had a conversation about this with someone that knows more about it then me. In short if you are doing alot heavy lifting you may need more protein. If you are doing a lot of cardio you may need carbs. Timing can also be very important as the body may need protein for muscle building, it may also need some carbs to help with glycogen stores.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    IMO the default protein settings on MFP are too low anyway. And protein is one of those things that getting more than the minimum is good. You can get too much, but in one study people consumed 2.8 g per kg of body weight and were fine, so "too much" is an incredible amount for a normal person.

OTOH, if I go over 200 g of carbs a day on a regular basis, my body starts craving more carbs and also junky ones and I over-eat.

So I think of my calorie and carb goals as a ceiling I need to say under and I think of my protein goals as a floor I want to stay above.

And, to respond to a post above mine, even if you do cardio you probably need more protein, not just more carbs. Cardio also will cause micro-tears in your muscles that need to be repaired, just not at as great a rate as weight lifting. Consuming something with carbs and protein (exact ratio depends on which study you follow) within 30-60 min. after exercising should maximize your recovery from any workout.
This discussion has been closed.