Weight Lifting Help (Sorry, another one, I know.)

Options
So I've been debating on making this topic for a few days now, but figured I'd go ahead and take the plunge. I've been working out at the gym for a few weeks now, but only doing cardio. I came across a topic here the other day with someone asking when a good time to start lifting would be, and the resounding answer was, 'NOW!'.

I've been doing research since then, and talked to a buddy of mine today that used to be into power lifting before he got hurt, and figured I'd like to set up a routine for 3 days a week. The only problem is, is that I'm having a hard time finding specific information that relates to both a guy my size, 380lbs, and a beginner.

Like, total beginner. I have a few dumbells in my house, but never done anything even remotely like what I need to be doing. So, if any of you out there with more knowledge than myself could point me in the right direction of coming up with a good plan, I'd be much obliged!

My goal isn't to be a bodybuilder or anything of that nature, but when I get down to around 250 or so, I'd like to have a good foundation and not much loose skin. If I come out muscular through this, more power to me!

So, like I said, I'm 380, 6'1". My goal body fat, or my first goal at least, is 20% which would put me around 260 according to some charts. I wouldn't mind dropping lower than that, especially if it's replaced with muscle.

Sorry for my ramblings.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Being a beginner is being a beginner. Your current size has no bearing. You should be doing the same, compound lift based, 3x per week beginner routine that all of us needed to be doing in the beginning.

Two good sources. Go to bodybuilding.com and look for beginner routines or get the New Rules of Lifting for Life book or look up SS 5x5. Any of these will be suitable to your needs. You'll find that adding the strength training was the most important step in your goal to change your body.

Good luck!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Two good sources. Go to bodybuilding.com and look for beginner routines or get the New Rules of Lifting for Life book or look up SS 5x5. Any of these will be suitable to your needs.

Agree, I have tried all of these and love them all :)
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster.. Cosgrove (co-author of new rules of lifting ) does a great job of outlining the routines, and the exercises. Another thing that I like is that they show progressions for exercises so you can start at a beginner level and modify as you get more time under your belt. One thing that many new lifters do is either try to do way too much. Listen to your body, While it might not like your new workouts at first.. it will grow to LOVE them. One last tip, fight the urge to go haywire at the dinner table. I have seen lots of people that actually eat WAY more with the excuse that they are now working out. Track your consumption, and estimated burn from workout, and give your body good fuel.

Good luck. Lifting can definitely be addictive and you will find that you have a ton of options regarding the style of lifting that works for you (circuits on machines, free weights in a bodybuilding style split, powerlifting, olympic style lifting, High intensity interval training, and yes.. even crossfit)

NOTE: the term "No Pain, No Gain" is an old bodybuilding phrase that many workout people use and abuse at times. I have heart runners even use it to describe running with physical injuries. that it nuts in my opinion. the real use of the phrase is talking about pushing past the burn from your muscles to get the last couple of reps.. it absolutely does not mean joint pain, or any sudden or acute pain from injury.. once again.. Know your body and listen to it.