Elliptical-ing 7 miles a day...is it enough?

Options
I do it (2 30min sets of 3.5 miles). I love it and I have seen results, just how long will it last?

I started about a month ago and have worked from 2 miles gradually to 7miles and have already went over 100 miles all together.

I have a good amount of weight to lose, I have cut my calories back, drink 9 glasses of water a day, and really, if this and the 100 crunches I do with the ab scissor every day will get me to my goal...I'd be quite fine with that.

No, I will not disclose more information about myself because I am horribly..horribly shy. I'm really sorry. >.< (had to talk myself into using this discussion group. I have before but it made me anxious...but I am anxious about this so...had to combat it)

I know more information would help but, if you can get an idea from this and give advice, I'd really appreciate it...^^

Replies

• bymyslf892
    bymyslf892 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    As long as you are also eating sensibly in conjunction with your workout regimen I don't see how you wouldn't get to your goal.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It all depends. It could be enough or it could be too much depending on how much fat mass you have and how much of a deficit you are creating for yourself - ie is it appropriate for the amount of body fat you have. The more fat mass, the larger the deficit you can start with.
  • breezer2288
    Options
    Thank you! You truly made my evening...^^
  • breezer2288
    Options
    Too much? Really?

Wouldn't have expected that.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's too much. Your basically doing an hour of cardio a day which is fine. Seven miles on an eliptical is not the same as seven miles walking or running.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would say do it as long as you enjoy it. The biggest benefit of cardio for weight loss is that it creates a calorie deficit- you can get the deficit either through adding cardio, cutting calories, or a combination of both. Additionally, cardio has wonderful mental health and stress benefits. For a short time, you will see some muscle benefits from cardio- as you go from untrained to trained in that activity- but those benefits aren't going to last long. The way to really change your body is through strength training. In 2-3 half hour sessions a week of weight lifting, you would get more body-changing benefits than doing cardio every day- it increases your metabolism, helps burn fat, tones the muscles, prevents osteoperosis, and about a million other benefits. I would suggest looking in to a full body compound lifting program and getting started right away.

I just want to clarify that I'm not against cardio- I am a runner and do quite a bit of other cardio as well, but I do it for the mental benefits and the ability to eat more food- I lift weights to change my body. You can keep ellipticizing as long as you want to and like it. Creating too big of a deficit is detrimental though- Big people with a lot to lose can get away with 1000 cal deficit, most people that start on here would do best with about a 500 calorie deficit, and as you get closer to goal weight a 250 calorie deficit is more appropriate, and then smaller and smaller as you get towards goal. So, if you've set MFP to lose 2lbs/wk, you're already at a 1000 calorie deficit, and increasing that deficit with exercise can have serious hormonal consequences and lead to a difficult-to-break plateau.

Finally, I don't believe in doing ab-specific work (crunches) until you're very lean and trying to emphasize your abs popping out. They do nothing for leaning out your waist, and are more likely to actually make your waistline bigger as you build up muscle underneath stubborn fat. There's nothing you can do to control where the fat comes off. If you start a weight program with compound lifts, your abs get plenty of work doing what they're supposed to do- stabilizing and supporting your movements. You don't even get all the good benefits of resistance training doing crunches, because they're tiny muscles compared to the big groups you could be using in that time doing push-ups, or bench presses, or squats, or deadlifts. They're kind of a waste of time, if not counterproductive to your goals. If you don't want to go to a gym and start lifting, you can strength train at home- get a copy of the book "You are Your Own Gym" which will give you a well developed strength program you can do with household items- like gallons of water- from the privacy of your own home.

Hope that helps!