Squats and Lunges-good or bad for thinner thighs?

Options
Hey everyone, so I've been taking a boot camp class 1-2 times per week, consisting of lots of squats and lunges, but seems like my thighs and butt just seem to be getting bigger..? I've also been taking a cycling class 2 times per week..not sure if this is a good workout for weight loss in hips, thighs and legs? What is the best exercise to get lean toned legs? Any advice would be so great : )

Replies

• Jessicao33
    Jessicao33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear also
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i dont think squats can be bad for anything!!
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Squats, Deadlifts, and Lunges will ALWAYS be the answer to any questions about leg improvements.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    i dont think squats can be bad for anything!!

^^^QFT
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The way to get lean legs is to lose body fat.

The best way to create strong legs that are firm when the body fat is minimized is squats, deadlifts and lunges.
  • believe1922
    believe1922 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm just afraid that my thighs will become bigger due to muscle gain?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Go to youtube and look up "pop-pilates". There are quite a few workouts for the inner thighs that really kick your *kitten*! Pilates can help tone the thighs.
  • believe1922
    believe1922 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What are some of the best exercises to lose body fat...cycling, jogging..not sure what is best. What do you suggest?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Assuming that you are eating at a deficit, this is not a worry. It is only possible to gain 1 -2lb of muscle if you are new to lifting (or obese). Even at a surplus, you have to eat quite a bit extra and train intensively to even gain 1/2lb a month as a female. And that is all over. Lose the fat and your legs will be smaller.

Edited to fix typo
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What are some of the best exercises to lose body fat...cycling, jogging..not sure what is best. What do you suggest?

Calorie deficit.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options

You won't be gaining muscle unless you're eating an excess of calories. If you're eating less than maintenance calories, you'll burn fat, and build strength. Muscle gains will be minimal. Avoiding strength training in the legs will just make your legs "skinny-fat" in the long term (not firm).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what exactly does "seems like" means.. either they are or they aren't. it's easy to figure out, just take measurements.
    and squats and lunges good.

i'm actually one of those people who easily gain muscle and trust me you know if this is you even before you'd start working out because you're way stronger than most other people of similar size. anyway, i'm one of those people who gain muscle easily, but because i'm eating less than my TDEE my muscle gains have been minimal even though i eat a good amount of protein and am squatting and deadlifting weights that are close to or more than my bodyweight.. and oh yeah, my thighs are getting slimmer in the process
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I've lost a total of 3.5" in each thigh since I've started here- squatting, deadlifting, lunges and hill sprints are IMO the best way to do it.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I haven't found the time for the lunges I was doing over the holidays recently, and mainly my thighs look the same size, just without the defined muscles.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I dare say loads of lifters will say this is rubbish, but it is my experience so I will share it.

Doing Yoga I find that any muscle increase or definition is more shared across the whole muscle length rather than in the belly the mid point of the muscle, giving the muscle a longer sleeker look than through lifting.

This is because the muscle is contracted while doing a stretch - for example, pulling up your knees to contract the thigh while oding a hamstring stretch. This is the opposite to weight lifting where the muscle is contracted without stretching which causes the muscle fibres to shred and repair in the middle of the muscle making it bigger there.

Just my observation.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    what exactly does "seems like" means.. either they are or they aren't. it's easy to figure out, just take measurements.

Ding ding ding! Winnah!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I dare say loads of lifters will say this is rubbish, but it is my experience so I will share it.

Doing Yoga I find that any muscle increase or definition is more shared across the whole muscle length rather than in the belly the mid point of the muscle, giving the muscle a longer sleeker look than through lifting.

This is because the muscle is contracted while doing a stretch - for example, pulling up your knees to contract the thigh while oding a hamstring stretch. This is the opposite to weight lifting where the muscle is contracted without stretching which causes the muscle fibres to shred and repair in the middle of the muscle making it bigger there.

Just my observation.

Rubbish
  • PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose fat in your thighs, or do you have bulky muscles in your thighs? You can target muscle work, but you can't target where fat comes off.

Squats and lunges will strengthen the leg muscles. They will not remove fat on your thighs. Fat and muscle are two different things.

It's good to strengthen leg muscles because they are large muscles and will have the biggest impact on your metabolism. Fat will come off differently for different individuals.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, so I've been taking a boot camp class 1-2 times per week, consisting of lots of squats and lunges, but seems like my thighs and butt just seem to be getting bigger..? I've also been taking a cycling class 2 times per week..not sure if this is a good workout for weight loss in hips, thighs and legs? What is the best exercise to get lean toned legs? Any advice would be so great : )

All of these things you mentioned helped me to lose some fat, however heavy weight leg lifting helped a LOT more. Also, sometimes after my MMA condtioning class (possibly similar to your boot camp), i would have water retained in my legs, making them temporarilly look larger. I have heard that this is due to the fluids trying to "heal" or repair the mucles used, but this is only something ive heard so not sure how true it is. I have noticed that if i eat less salt, this problem is reduced greatly so i think it is just due to water retention which seems to happen in my legs more than any other areas of my body.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges & deadlifts are workin' for me! Legs are stronger, and I'm seeing more definition as the fat comes off.