Guilty Pleasures.

Options
Today I caved in after 3 days and have a cup cake for each day. No good on my part though I enjoyed them for the few moments I had them. There is more however in my kitchen along with a chocolate cake. These are for my boyfriends birthday. So far I am content and do not desire for another one but im not sure how long it will last. Any advise on how to stop the temptaion without punishing everyone else in the house. Chocolate is my weakness.

Replies

• msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I'm not the best to respond but I say if you had a little and you are content and under your calories then smile. And stay away from the chocolate cake. They are seductive little mistresses.

I'm debating whether to have that small glass of red wine with dinner - if I have it then that would put me about 100 cal over my daily allottment of 1330 calories...but darn it! I caught up on all the holiday ironing today (3 hours of it!!!) and I really REALLY feel like a little wine with dinner... decisions decisions...
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I've found the best way for me is not to restrict myself. Obviously, I try to stay at my calorie goal, which I do about 95% of the time, and I try to eat a nutritious, well-balanced diet. Within that, I allow myself to eat whatever I want, in appropriate portion sizes. I eat chocolate on a daily basis - if I want to. I don't always want to. If I restrict myself too much or don't allow myself to eat certain foods, they end up playing on my mind, and becoming an overwhelming temptation. If I allow myself to eat whatever I want (fitting into calorie and macronutrient goals), then the cravings and feelings of guilt disappear. As time's gone on, I've found that I don't want the sugary food as much as I used to. This "diet" is for life as far as I'm concerned, and I don't intend on never eating chocolate or cake again!

ETA: if I want something that doesn't fit into my goals, obviously that's a decision that has to be made, but logging everything on here first helps, and I just remind myself of the bigger picture - how much I want to reach my goal and then maintain. With practice (and knowing that if I don't eat it now, I can probably eat it tomorrow) I find it easier to stay on track.