Nutritious Dessert ideas

Before I started watching carefully what I eat, I would have a pudding almost every night, mostly chocolate puddings or a few squares of Green and Blacks chocolate. Now though I need to get a little more creative and find good healthy but satisfying dessert ideas.

So I had a bowl of half a grapefruit, 2 kiwi fruits and 100g yogurt, drizzled with 15g honey and sprinkled with 2 ground cardamom pods! Was a fab snack! So tasty and light but full of flavour!

What does anybody else do for desserts? Would be interesting to hear other recipe ideas.

Replies

• i actually get blue bunny ice cream sandwhiches, ice cream truffle bars, frozen ice cream granola bars...all under 150 calories and it craves my "dessert craving"...any kind of dessert or snack has to be under 150 calories, 200 calories max (it's my own little rule so i dont go over my daily amount)...
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Dark chocolate peanut butter dreams (its at walmart super center i know!) im sure they sell it other places, in the peanut butter section and dip strawberries, apples, bananas whatever its delish! Organic yogurt pretzels and dark choc covered almonds! Low fat ice cream and icecream bars. You can make cakes with apple sauce instead of veg oil and instead of icing, spread on fat free pudding!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Melt a little dark chocolate (at least 70% coco) and make "hay stacks" out of high fiber cereal like Fiber One. Not desserts so much as candy - but the fiber helps blunt the damage and they taste great!
  • Mommabee
    Mommabee Posts: 103
    Black seedless grapes! Yummy and sometimes almost too sweet (is there such a thing?) :wink: Also, I cut up an apple (any sweet one will do) and sprinkle on some really good cinnamon, almost apple pie!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    This is a little involved, but so worth it. Halve and core a pear, and line a cookie sheet with foil. Put an oven rack in the top position, and turn on your broiler. Cook the pears skin side up for 2-5 minutes or until fork tender. Take the pan out, flip the pears, and sprinkle each half with 1/2 tsp. sugar in the raw. Put the pears back in the oven until the sugar on top caramelizes. One pear is light enough you can eat it on your own, but good enough to share. I did this last week and it made my sweet tooth very happy. (A whole pear plus the sugar is 116 calories.)
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    take one Ninja Food Processor

1 cup of frozen strawberries (any frozen fruit of your choice)

5 packets Splenda

1/2 cup of fat free milk

blend it in the Ninja ( or other small food processor)

you have strawberry Ice cream

takes like real ice cream
  • What a brilliant idea! I'm going to make some right now!
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Sunshine, the pear sounds delicious. i will defintely try it. A great, healthy alternative. Do you ever put anythign besides or in addition to sugar ,eg cinammon or yoghurt (after it's broiled)?
    Zaza
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Dark chocolate peanut butter dreams (its at walmart super center i know!) im sure they sell it other places, in the peanut butter section and dip strawberries, apples, bananas whatever its delish! Organic yogurt pretzels and dark choc covered almonds! Low fat ice cream and icecream bars. You can make cakes with apple sauce instead of veg oil and instead of icing, spread on fat free pudding!

Dark chocolate dreams is my absolute fave!!! I can do some damage with a spoon though :ohwell: I eat it pretty much everyday. Their crunchy pb is really tasty too!

I got these new Jello fat free pudding cups. They have live cultures (they're called Live Active Jello) in them like yogurt, but they taste like pudding. Only 60 cals and chocolately goodness!
  • talrcat
    talrcat Posts: 97 Member
    My current favorite dessert is really simple.

Frozen raspberries.

That's it!
  • HonestOmnivore
    I've made the pears the same way, but instead of sugar in the raw I used a little maple syrup and a dab of blue cheese (also used goat cheese) - this is a bit higher in calories but it's very much worth it! You don't need more than a tsp of cheese per half!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Zaza, I really loved the pears with cinnamon. If you wanted to cut the sugar out completely, you could just sprinkle cinnamon on, or mix cinnamon and sugar together so you use less.

mstahl, cheese sounds soooo good on that. There's a sheep farm out near me that makes artisenal cheeses and just the thought is drool-worthy. You might also try putting a few chocolate chips where the core used to be or drizzling chocolate sauce over the cooked pears for a choco fix. Greek yogurt and honey sounds good, too. Or, if you don't like pears, do the same with an apple and some good sharp cheddar.

I am really looking forward to dessert now!
  • HonestOmnivore
    Not the least bit nutritious - but low in calories and FUN!

In the winter we spend our evenings in our family room around the fire place. Toasting forks allow for all sorts of fun times! Tonight we had toasted marshmallows! YUM! We've made "hobo pies" (horrible name) with the sandwich irons - we use double fiber bread and then sliced apples, a little sugar and cinnamon and a dab of butter (use spray oil on the irons rather than buttering the bread.

Any fruit works as filling!

coring out apples and pears, filling the core with cinnamon or nutmeg and sugar and a little butter (light olive oil) then wrapping them in foil and putting them into the coals...

Sometimes you have to rank FUN into the factoring :bigsmile: