not losing weight anymore - HELP!

Options
Do you guys think is possible I'm not losing weight because I'm gaining muscle? I'm not going to the gym but I'm walking a lot and starting running as well.. I feel a little bit demotiveted, my calorie goal is 1200, and I try to stay there, IF, like recently happened I go over, it doesn't feel like I'm doing it wrong anyway.. I can see from my clothes I'm actually going on losing something, I guess, but the scale doesn't move... my diary is open, please give me some tips! :D
Thank you!!!!!

Replies

• JraeL91
    JraeL91 Posts: 38
    Options
    Plateaus suck, I've been there. Have you tried interval training, or increasing the difficulty of your runs by wearing a weighted vest?
  • F_Chord
    F_Chord Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm very busy at the moment, so I'm doing REALLY all I can do! I'm moving in about a week and my job doesn't leave me a lot of time, but I'm moving closer to the city and there will be a gym with a swimming pool just 2 minutes from there.. could it be a good idea? What kind of weighted vest do you suggest? I'm really quiet new to fitness and stuff like this! :)
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If your clothes are getting looser, don't worry about the scales. All kinds of factors can keep your weight up, but if you're shrinking, that's good!
  • F_Chord
    F_Chord Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    yes, clothes are getting looser and looser, just the scale concerns me.. but if you guys said it could be anything I think I can trust you! :D
  • Nettie96fb
    Options
    I have started bike riding before breakfast, I only do 10 minutes on my exercise bike, but wow, what a difference it has made, i lost 1.4kgs this week, and that's all that I did that was different...I do believe it 'kick starts' your metabolism, to work harder all day...good luck
  • turkishmelly
    turkishmelly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Try to change your excersice. After 6 days your body knows what you are doing. Try walking with weights.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 calories and doing only cardio, it's unlikely that you've gained any noticeable amount of muscle mass. What might be happening is that because you've just started running, your muscles will be retaining water as they repair themselves. This water weight might be masking any fat loss that you would usually notice on the scale. There are lots of other things that can make you retain water too, including increased sodium in your diet, and hormonal fluctuations.

Something is obviously working if you're losing inches. Weight on the scale represents a lot more than just how much fat you have. I would much rather lose inches than pounds!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Do you guys think is possible ...I'm gaining muscle?....I'm walking a lot and starting running as well.. .my calorie goal is 1200.

straight answer...NO...NOT POSSIBLE.

You are most definitely NOT gaining muscle eating 1200 and not lifting weights, just walking and running....

If the scale is not moving it is most likely water retention, and you should probably be eating more than 1200 anyways...
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Oh boy do I hear you loud and clear, and have wondered if same is happening with me..................
    Feel free to add me if you wish, new to this site maybe week or so...............
  • donkeypoop
    donkeypoop Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been in your spot, be patient, and give it a couple weeks for the weight to slowly shift. ;) Thats how long it took me to notice in the begining.
  • jangyxox
    Options
    It sucks doesn't it? I was stuck in plateau for awhile too.

So many things can impact the number on the scale... for example if you are going to the toilet often and flushing out toxins and/or food quite quickly you will probably see less number on the scale but if you weigh yourself after you drink a cup of water or a meal you will see bigger number. In personal experience numbers on scale can fluctuate about 4kgs in a single day!
    If you are noticing differences in your clothes go with that and do not worry about the number on the scale! :-)

Also, I doubt that you are gaining muscle doing cardio and eating 1200 calories a day.
    I was once told that your body gets used to the kind of exercises you do very quickly. So if you are using the same muscles all the time you are less likely to see results after awhile doing the same thing all the time.

I started incorporating sprints in to my cardio so I will sprint as fast I can for about 30sec-1min (until I am gasping for air really haha) then jog for about 3 minutes or until I can regulate my breathing again then I sprint again and so on.
    I've been finding this very useful.

I hope you can achieve your goal and good luck!
    It is amazing that you are seeing results already so if you keep seeing that difference in clothing don't worry too much about the number :-)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Do you guys think is possible ...I'm gaining muscle?....I'm walking a lot and starting running as well.. .my calorie goal is 1200.

You are most definitely NOT gaining muscle eating 1200 and not lifting weights, just walking and running....

If the scale is not moving it is most likely water retention, and you should probably be eating more than 1200 anyways...
    This. It's water.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

This is spot on... you have to eat more. Especially since you dont have much to lose to get into a normal weight range. Set your goal at 1 lb per week and eat back 50% of your exercise calories. Now at first you might gain a lb or two but its your body adapting. Also adjust your macros to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. High protein diets will help preserve your muscle more. Once you move, start heavy weight lifting. Its much more effective for cutting fat.
  • JraeL91
    JraeL91 Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm very busy at the moment, so I'm doing REALLY all I can do! I'm moving in about a week and my job doesn't leave me a lot of time, but I'm moving closer to the city and there will be a gym with a swimming pool just 2 minutes from there.. could it be a good idea? What kind of weighted vest do you suggest? I'm really quiet new to fitness and stuff like this! :)

I have the 2F0 sports, 20 lbs got it for $35 shipping was $20 but was still cheaper for me buying it on Amazon.com than buying it in stores here. But be sure to work your way up to 20lbs, the sand bags in it are removable so start at 5 or 10 to be safe ... Swimming pool is a great idea, :) variety is always great.