I have a horrible carb-problem :(

Options
Hello, I just started using this site a short while ago, but in the last week or so, I've already noticed that I eat almost ALL carbs. I go over on carbs everyday while I struggle to meet my calorie intake :( I have a horrible addiction to them, because I'm a college kid, they're cheap and easy and filling.

Does anyone have healthy suggestions for me? A carb-alternative, or healthy choices that wont kill my progress that I've been making exercising and cutting cals? I could use any helpful suggestions...

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• incubusaddict
    Options
    Hello, I just started using this site a short while ago, but in the last week or so, I've already noticed that I eat almost ALL carbs. I go over on carbs everyday while I struggle to meet my calorie intake :( I have a horrible addiction to them, because I'm a college kid, they're cheap and easy and filling.

Does anyone have healthy suggestions for me? A carb-alternative, or healthy choices that wont kill my progress that I've been making exercising and cutting cals? I could use any helpful suggestions...

Thanks everyone!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    There is low carb bread I use wonder light wheat 2 slices is 80 calories and 18 carbs. Also you can get low carb tortillas just watch the calories I have seen tortills wraps up around 220. Also I use tofu shirataki noodles now in place of pasta 8oz is 40 calories and 0 carbs. Not exactly regular noodles but they do the trick for me. Look them up and good luck
  • goodtimesdani
    Options
    oh, me too honey. and im a college student too so i completely understand. iv'e been doing pretty good by having healthy choice, lean cuisine, or smart ones brand frozen dinners for dinner. they are good cause they usually have some carbs like mashed potatos in there. the only problem with eating so much carbs is they dont make you full so you have to eat more! you should eat soup!
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    Plan your day in advance if I know I will be having a high carb dinner chose something low carb for lunch like salad with chicken ham tuna egg even cheese my problem time is the evening so it is important that I am not feeling hungry then otherwise I will pick at anything and everything which is why I have a lit of carbs for dinner rather than lunch you see I am usually busy all afternoon with my kids so I am not tempted to snack.

Soup is filling and most are low carb.

If you really cant lower your carb intake see if you cold fit in some extra exercise like a walk for 30 min to 1hr that might boost your allowance enough to allow you to carry on as you are.

Also if you have to eat carb make sure that they are complex carb like potato and pasta not simple refined carbs from sugar.

Planning is the key I come on this sight first thing in the morning I know where I am all day then one day I hope to go it alone but at the moment I need to keep my food diary planned.

Good luck:heart:
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    U could look at the shops for low carb options of what you like
    reading the little book of carbs give me quite a shock and made me realize just how to change tihings
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    hi incubusaddict,

Well, a long time ago, my wife dragged me kicking and screaming into the real world, the one where carbs matter, and my metabolism was no longer that of a 24 year old athelete. *sigh*, along the way I found out that, you don't need special foods in order to shave off 25% to 50% of your carb intake. There are certain types of food which will help you feel full longer. Carbs, believe it or not, aren't the best at that, so I did my research and realized that there are a few that are very good at it, I'll share.
    Protein is awesome at replacing carbs. Makes me feel full for a long time.
    Try some lean proteins. Cook up some chicken breasts and throw them in the fridge individually wrapped. Cooked chicken is good for about a week in the fridge. Cook em up on Sunday and they are there for you all week. Use em as a snack or as a lunch. That will keep you full and your mind won't crave anything for a while. Others are good too, cheese is good (look for 50 or 75% low fat versions), so is whole wheat bread, whole wheat is a carb but it's the "good" kind, it's complex and takes your body a while to process.
    Of course, add many many veggies to your snacking and meals. Veggies are a great source of fiber and have low calorie density, they will help you feel full without throwing hundreds of calories at you. I prefer broccoli, carrots, and pea pods as snacks at work. Most veggies do contain carbs, but much less then say, a bag of potato chips, or white bread.
  • incubusaddict
    Options
    Wow, this is all some great advice, most of which I haven't thought of! Thanks for the help everyone- I'm gonna head to the grocery store after class and grab some chicken, soup and low-carb bread!