I haven't been able to break a plateau for 2 years

Options
It has been 2 years and I can't seem to break 140. I've hovered at 144-146. I've changed my workouts, tried to eat more, tried to eat less, and I just don't know what to do. I'm frustrated that my measurements remain the same (some muscular definition comes and goes, but usually only a .5" change).

Every time I change my settings in my diet profile because nothing is happening, it says, "you will lose x lbs by x date, if you do this." I do it, and nothing changes. Two years. I don't even know if motivation and support will help at this point. I am at my rope's end.

Here are my specs as a 26-year old female:
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 145
Waist: 32"
Hip: 36.5"
Bust: 35"
Goal weight range: 129-135
Starting weight: 175, back in 2009. Weighed 150 since 9 years old.
Workouts: Yoga, pilates, the Nike training app for iPhone, some running and 30 day shred (I have a bad knee and usually can't handle this or any other high-impact stuff often); I also live in a large city and walk about a mile every day at least
Nutritional stuff: Chicken/beef and greens, eggs and bacon w/ tomato almost every day, lattes with a little sugar, sometimes I eat oats or bread or noodles, usually 1x a week, a dessert and a pastry 1x a week. I'll drink a beer or wine 1-2x a month. Every few months I get crazy on fast food intentionally. Absolutely no processed foods otherwise.

My overall physique is toned and yoga-ish, except for my belly and muffin top. Those are still flabby and throw off all those health measurement things. I am strong and probably fit, but my goal is to be comfortably within the healthy zone of BMI. I've been overweight all my life and I'm happy to be a size 6 (!!) but I want more--I want to settle down to a safe weight and physique. My belly has been the butt of bullying and jokes since I was little and I'm so done with it.

Is there anything I can do? Give up? Pay someone to find me some answers and make me do different?

Replies

• 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

check out the roadmap - is your calorie target realistic? is your deficit too high?
    If you are close to gaol the deficiet should only be 5-10% of TDEE.
    Do you get enough protein? - 1 gm per pound of lean body mass?
    Are you lifitng heavy? Stronglifts 5x5, starting strength , new rules of lifting for women -
    strength training make a huge difference in how you look.
  • mona_patty
    Options
    I am not an expert in no way form or shape. I still have quit a bit to lose and being 140 is my goal weight, I have about 40 lbs more to go, I have lost 18 lbs so far.
    Maybe give up the bacon, cut down on beef and on the lattes. What has helped me shed lbs is eating my spinach salad w/ tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, cucumber w/ light balsamic. Also, I started drinking green tea about 2-3x a day, it has helped me a lot. Hope it helps, try not to stress to much about it. I also run 3x a week.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    First, you didn't say how many calories you are eating. I suggest you go here to figure out what you need to eat:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Second, I would try to add in some heavy lifting to your exercise plan.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

check out the roadmap - is your calorie target realistic? is your deficit too high?
    If you are close to gaol the deficiet should only be 5-10% of TDEE.
    Do you get enough protein? - 1 gm per pound of lean body mass?
    Are you lifitng heavy? Stronglifts 5x5, starting strength , new rules of lifting for women -
    strength training make a huge difference in how you look.

Ha! Beat me to it!
  • cutex0r
    cutex0r Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been eating what MFP tells me to, at aroung 1350 cal a day. I am usually hungrier than that and end up doing 1400-1600.

I read through that thread a while back, but am terrified to suddenly eat all that food. When I gained weight, that was how much I was eating. Anyone know of success stories?
  • mona_patty
    Options
    my calories is about 1420. I would get hungry too when I 1st started with MFP but I do exercise quite a bit. I recently started eating more fruits and vegetables and I started to see the lbs come off. Eat enough fiber to keep you full. There is just so much information about how much carbs and protein to eat. Find what best works for you by just testing the water.

Best of success to you.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose weight for 3 months eating 1,200. I upped to 1,500 and it fell off.

Now I'm kind of stuck again, but I bike long distances a couple times a week, and I think I need to A) commit more, and B) try to balance it all over the week. But I'm to the point where if I don't lose any more weight, I'm not really sad about it. And I'm only like 10 pounds from goal, which I think will take more effort than I'm able to put in at this point.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've been eating what MFP tells me to, at aroung 1350 cal a day. I am usually hungrier than that and end up doing 1400-1600.

I read through that thread a while back, but am terrified to suddenly eat all that food. When I gained weight, that was how much I was eating. Anyone know of success stories?

When you were gaining were you exercising? I would like to bet your much more active now than then... If you've not, moved in over 2 years I'd saying eating more is worth a try... Low carb is working well for me too, so if you've not tried that it may be worth looking at x
  • cutex0r
    Options
    I'm not sure what active really means either. I average 3 rounds of 90-minute ashtanga yoga sessions a week, and 1x running 3 miles, and 2 classes of pilates.

My carbs have always been low, as I don't really like bread, and I'd clock in around 150 g a day. The rest is usually vegetables, dairy, eggs, meat, sugar.

From what that other linked post says, I have to be eating 1800 to lose at this point (!?). I have 105 lbs of lean muscle mass. And you're right, I wasn't really exercising back then. Just walking to/from work and doing a few easier yoga classes a week.
  • jcouri
    jcouri Posts: 1
    Options
    try intermittent fasting, I have had tremendous results with it. I recently started this way of eating and have gone from 151-146 in just 3.5 weeks. To start, Youtube "fastingtwins" on youtube, they will get you started. Good luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Trying eating less saturated fats like in red meat and bacon. Also, try making the pasta and bread whole wheat. It might help...
  • cutex0r
    Options
    pasta and bread is already like that. see why i'm frustrated?
  • photog_chic
    Options
    Im in the same boat been trying to drop these last few pounds for over 3 yrs now.
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I guess is trying different approaches, what works for other people might not work for you, intermitent fasting seems to give good results as well as carb cycling, I have been stuck on the same weight for nearly 2 months, although I have seen my clothes size decrease. I will be start carb cycling from tomorrow, but as you plateau from time to time, I have the idea of keeping changing my diet and exercise constantly to keep the body from getting stuck in plateaus.
  • blwalton70
    blwalton70 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Our body types sound super similar! I got over my weight "bump" by liftinf light weighs (5-8 lbs) 3x's a week. Seriously.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Do you know your fat%??
    I would suggest seeing a reputable trainer who is knowlegable with food combinations, even if for 3 sessions.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Wow your really small . well exersize more eat less or exersize more eat more lol.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are most unhappy with your belly, so why not try a series of exercises designed to tone that area. I know you can't spot reduce, but you can spot tone. I've been working with a YouTube video called "how to get a six-pack on your couch in six minutes". Whew - tough, but not high impact, and not impossible.
  • tcat2012
    tcat2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I can relate--same height and same goal weight, and weight didn't budge from Feb to Oct.

My recommendations (based on what has started to work for me)
    (1) get a fitbit so you have an accurate count of your TDEE
    (2) figure out your calorie goal from there after using the fitbit for your normal daily activities (my calorie goal is currently 1800 which is 250-500 calories below my TDEE depending on the day but I am planning to increase my calories now that I seem to be getting the hang of it...eat the same calories every day (this method uses your exercise as a zig-zag--as per the roadmap method)
    (3) measure yourself so you're not relying on the scale
    (4) you can't spot reduce (or so they say) but Jillian Michael's 6 week 6 pack has been working very well for me for the past few weeks (in inches--no, I don't expect a 6 pack, put the exercises focus on your core)
    (5) increase your protein (mine is set to 135 grams per day, which comes to 30% of my daily calorie goal of 1800). I make sure that no I hit my protein, but don't stress about my carbs or fat (but eat no white carbs)

Hope this helps...good luck
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what active really means either. I average 3 rounds of 90-minute ashtanga yoga sessions a week, and 1x running 3 miles, and 2 classes of pilates.

My carbs have always been low, as I don't really like bread, and I'd clock in around 150 g a day. The rest is usually vegetables, dairy, eggs, meat, sugar.

From what that other linked post says, I have to be eating 1800 to lose at this point (!?). I have 105 lbs of lean muscle mass. And you're right, I wasn't really exercising back then. Just walking to/from work and doing a few easier yoga classes a week.

So you have been stuck for two years and here is the answer. Eat. Try the 1800 a day every day, don't add in exercise calories.

Give it a month and see if it doesn't work. I'm pretty sure you will find that you really do need to eat more. Have you been adding in all that exercise into MFP's exercise log? Because if you were, you would be eating that 1800 calories. It sounds like you haven't been eating your exercise calories here. That is how this site is designed to work.