Need calorie guidance – VERY discouraged

Options
Trying this again because no one responded. Let's try a shorter version ---

About me:
- I am a 5’4.5, 130# female.
- My BMR is around 1300 calories.
- My TDEE is 1800-2100 depending on activity level.

A while back I increased my calories from a very low level (1200 calories) to my low activity maintenance level (1800 calories). I did this reset for about 10 weeks and then started Chalean Extreme. Because I was now lifting weights, I figured 1800 would create a small deficit. I had very poor results doing Chalean Extreme -- in fact, by the end of three months, my fat % had increased from 24.5 to 25.5, my weight went up 2.5lbs, but I had lost an inch off my thighs and an inch off my waist.

Very discouraged, I dropped to 1700 calories and started P90X and cleaned up my diet some. P90X book says that I should be at 1800. For two weeks, I have followed the diet (50%protein/30% carbs) and have done all exercises. Over the course of two weeks, absolutely no change in weight or body fat %. Very discouraged. HELP!

For longer version see: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/768393-need-calorie-guidance-very-discouraged

Replies

• Jalyn77
    Jalyn77 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm really similar to your stats. I'm 131 pounds and 5'4". I've also struggled to see results in the past, but am now really starting to see them. P90X is a great program so I'm surprised you're not seeing results if you're really sticking to it. I looked at your diet and it looks pretty good with a few exceptions. Here are some tips that may help:

- Cut out the carbs after 4pm ish.
    - Cut your calories back to around 1500 (which is what the program I'm following recommends)

I'm following Jamie Eason's program which is great (and free - just google for more info). I think it's somewhat similar to P90x. I'm in phase 3 right now which is pretty intense and I am seeing great results. If you were to consider it I would suggest starting in phase 3 since you are already really active. She has you mix it up with low carb and high carb days. I'm just about to start this sequence this week, but have been seeing results even without it.

I hope this helps some! I hate being stuck! I've been there so many times. Just keep moving forward and modify until you find what works for you.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there?????
  • vsetter
    Options
    I'm really similar to your stats. I'm 131 pounds and 5'4". I've also struggled to see results in the past, but am now really starting to see them. P90X is a great program so I'm surprised you're not seeing results if you're really sticking to it. I looked at your diet and it looks pretty good with a few exceptions. Here are some tips that may help:

- Cut out the carbs after 4pm ish.
    - Cut your calories back to around 1500 (which is what the program I'm following recommends)

I'm following Jamie Eason's program which is great (and free - just google for more info). I think it's somewhat similar to P90x. I'm in phase 3 right now which is pretty intense and I am seeing great results. If you were to consider it I would suggest starting in phase 3 since you are already really active. She has you mix it up with low carb and high carb days. I'm just about to start this sequence this week, but have been seeing results even without it.

I hope this helps some! I hate being stuck! I've been there so many times. Just keep moving forward and modify until you find what works for you.

Thank you so much for your thoughts. Good point about the carbs --- I wonder if mixing my late night protein shake with milk is hurting more than helping. I've never tried mixing with water.
  • Jalyn77
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. I was surprised to see how high in carbs the skim milk is and you're using it at night time. You could try almond milk - that's what I usually use. But you know, I was also thinking... the scale isn't moving for me right now either. I'm more seeing my results in the mirror rather than on the scale. Since you just started lifting weights, you're probably really building muscle. And as much as I hate it when people tell me "muscle weighs more than fat," it's true.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    There is a very significant margin of error for measuring body fat. Its good to have an estimate but if you lost inches, your % didn't go up. With being very close to your goal, the process is going to slow way down. Your calories look good but you should only expect a weight loss of about .5 a week or 2 pounds a month. Look into starting a body recomposition cycle of bulking and cutting. Your scale weight may go up and down but you'll be happier with the overall look of your body.
  • Jalyn77
    Options
    One last thing... Your diary doesn't show many veggies. I saw a little, but maybe focusing on eating more veggies would help. At least two servings a day of broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus steamed or anything raw.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    the scale isn't moving for me right now either. I'm more seeing my results in the mirror rather than on the scale.

This. Use the mirror to judge your results.
    Since you just started lifting weights, you're probably really building muscle.

You can't build muscle in a deficit. What is happening is your muscles retain lots of water to repair themselves.
  • vsetter
    Options
    One last thing... Your diary doesn't show many veggies. I saw a little, but maybe focusing on eating more veggies would help. At least two servings a day of broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus steamed or anything raw.

I do try to get veggies in with my dinner. This 50% protein diet has really changed the dynamic of my diet. I was used to a more balanced approach before. I am so focused on eating meat or eggs with each meal that I am forgetting some other groups. Now, I feel like I can't even have a piece of fruit. And my fiber intake has gone down so much.
  • vsetter
    Options
    There is a very significant margin of error for measuring body fat. Its good to have an estimate but if you lost inches, your % didn't go up. With being very close to your goal, the process is going to slow way down. Your calories look good but you should only expect a weight loss of about .5 a week or 2 pounds a month. Look into starting a body recomposition cycle of bulking and cutting. Your scale weight may go up and down but you'll be happier with the overall look of your body.

What do you mean by "cycle of bulking and cutting"? Do you mean high calories and then lower, and then back to high, etc?
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I eat close to my TDEE & still losing weight. Not sure about inches. It hasn't been a month yet. But I would honestly give up the DVD programs & move on to lifting heavy (heavy for you) w/ compound moves. I feel like I've changed more doing that in the 3 weeks I've done it than in the whole 90 days of CE. And I would slack off on cardio or at least intense cardio.
    I agree with the person above, muscle cant b built of a deficit. You need to eat a surplus to gain muscle.
    If you're havin trouble with food, I would suggest getting a body media or something similar. An HRM really overestimates the burns the weight lifting.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Does your TDEE include the workouts? If so, 1800 is too many calories if you are trying to lose very quickly. If the 2100 is your TDEE with workouts, then 1800 might be ok, but I'd try a little less. TDEE -20% would be more like 1700. When I was losing most consistently (and not quite a pound per week) I was eating 1850 but with my workouts burning between 2300 and 2400. I'm 5'3" and started regular workouts when I was at 133, but they were less intense than the workouts you are doing. At that time, I was eating 1650 and burning about 2150.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

What do you mean by "cycle of bulking and cutting"? Do you mean high calories and then lower, and then back to high, etc?

Cutting is when you eat a deficit to lose fat then bulking is when you eat a (small) surplus to build muscle. Yes the scale goes up, but you will look way better at 140 with good definition then at 125 being flabby. Both are usually a 3-6 month cycle.
    I eat close to my TDEE & still losing weight. Not sure about inches. It hasn't been a month yet. But I would honestly give up the DVD programs & move on to lifting heavy (heavy for you) w/ compound moves. I feel like I've changed more doing that in the 3 weeks I've done it than in the whole 90 days of CE. And I would slack off on cardio or at least intense cardio. I agree with the person above, muscle cant b built of a deficit. You need to eat a surplus to gain muscle. If you're havin trouble with food, I would suggest getting a body media or something similar. An HRM really overestimates the burns the weight lifting.

Also this.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    an inch of your waist and thighs is not NOTHING that is super
    Did you forget muscle built is heavier than fat?
    You have made progress!
    Be proud!
  • vsetter
    Options
    I eat close to my TDEE & still losing weight. Not sure about inches. It hasn't been a month yet. But I would honestly give up the DVD programs & move on to lifting heavy (heavy for you) w/ compound moves. I feel like I've changed more doing that in the 3 weeks I've done it than in the whole 90 days of CE. And I would slack off on cardio or at least intense cardio.
    I agree with the person above, muscle cant b built of a deficit. You need to eat a surplus to gain muscle.
    If you're havin trouble with food, I would suggest getting a body media or something similar. An HRM really overestimates the burns the weight lifting.

Thanks Kendra! I have thought this too -- maybe losing the DVD. I was surprised that the P90X video doesn't really push for heavy lifting. Don't get me wrong --- its a tough workout, but I don't know if I am getting what I need.
  • Ngarcia31
    Ngarcia31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i would recommend increasing protein a bit. Have some cottage cheese before bed as it is a slow digesting protein and an opportunity for your body to burn more calories while you sleep. i would also recommend a bodyfat caliper instead of a bodyfat scale. you will find that the body fat scales usually indicate a higher bodyfat percentage by up to 5% in some cases.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Does your TDEE include the workouts? If so, 1800 is too many calories if you are trying to lose very quickly. If the 2100 is your TDEE with workouts, then 1800 might be ok, but I'd try a little less. TDEE -20% would be more like 1700. When I was losing most consistently (and not quite a pound per week) I was eating 1850 but with my workouts burning between 2300 and 2400. I'm 5'3" and started regular workouts when I was at 133, but they were less intense than the workouts you are doing. At that time, I was eating 1650 and burning about 2150.

Actually that's not always the case. I ate like 150 cals less that my TDEE all week once. I have a bodymedia, so I know my different TDEE every day. Anyways, the point is when I ate that close to it, I lost more lbs than I have in a while, which was only 1.5lbs. But at this point, u wanna try to lose slowly, not quickly.
  • richardallen3523
    Options
    Maybe meeting with a dietician would help. I think they can look at the whole picture and give some suggestions to complement the good things you are doing. You are doing so much though that I can understand the discouragement. We are all behind you though, so don't give up. Good for all that you are doing.:smile::smile: :smile:
  • vsetter
    Options

I have seen this before --- thanks for posting! But in this case, it only confuses me more --- here are the results. Please advise.

According to your suggested calculations:
    body fat = 26.3% (yikes -- higher than what I was saying)
    BMR = 1352
    Light activity = 1859
    Moderate activity (which is what I would consider P90X) = 2096

I'm following this already, aren't I?
  • vsetter
    Options
    i would recommend increasing protein a bit. Have some cottage cheese before bed as it is a slow digesting protein and an opportunity for your body to burn more calories while you sleep. i would also recommend a bodyfat caliper instead of a bodyfat scale. you will find that the body fat scales usually indicate a higher bodyfat percentage by up to 5% in some cases.

Holy Crap! Are you kidding????? (on the higher protein, that is). Although I haven't been perfect, I am trying to eat between 180-200 grams of protein per day. I only weigh 130 pounds. P90X pushes for 50% protein. I can't do anymore than that. I'm having a hard enough time getting to 200 grams.

Maybe I will get some calipers though:)