Late night study snacks :-(

Hi everyone:smile:

I've been a MFP member for quite awhile but only really started using it on daily basis in the last couple of months.
I've lost few kgs that I haven't been able to lose in the last 6 years since I started keeping a close eye on my diet and exercise log.

One of the biggest problem I have is late night snacks.

I am almost always staying up late doing late night study (I seem to work better at nights).
And the thing is I get sooo hungry and the way I figure it - if I am hungry I should eat. I can't concentrate when my brain/tummy is screaming for food :sad:

I guess I have two questions
1. Do you guys have similar problem as I do - how do you deal with it?
2. If I do eat something after midnight should I log it under the new day (since it is after midnight) or the same day as previous day because technically my day is still going as I haven't gone to bed yet (does that make sense? sorry if it doesn't :embarassed:)

Anyway, good luck with all your weight loss journey! :flowerforyou:

P.s. feel free to add me as a friend - I would love some motivation:heart:

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Before midnight - today.

After midnight - tommorrow.

I grab a handful of almonds and drink water when I get the late night munchies...no it's not a cupcake or a piece of cake, but it satisfies my psychological need to stick something in my face. Sometimes I eat a 90 cal Special K bar...over the long term it doesn't affect you too much, if you are sticking to your regimen 99% of the time.
  • Thank you for your reply.

Tonight, I decided to have some strawberries with a cup of coffee with dash of almond milk as I still have few more hours left to go.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    I hear you! I do a lot of late-night studying as well. It's really your choice whether you log it as tonight or tomorrow, as long as it's logged somewhere. I did find, however, that "borrowing" calories from the next day often backfired :blushing:, as I'd often reach my calorie limit the next day by noon. As long as you're logging all your food, choose whatever method works for you.

The best snacks contain protein, to help you concentrate, and fibre, to help you feel full. Some of my favourites are fresh fruit, fresh veggies, nuts, yogurt, cheese, canned fish, or whole grain cereal with milk. Avoid snacks that have lots of sugar and no protein - they'll make you feel drowsy. It's also helpful to have some calorie-free beverages available.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    cut up a huge plate of veggies and pair with your dip of choice and munch away! I like eating while I study too, and that's what I do
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    air popped popcorn..... very few calories, unless you drown them in butter.
  • Thank you everyone for your input. I love getting more ideas and I hope this thread helps others who might be in similar boat too!
    I just found some corn kernels so I might make some airpopped popcorns tomorrow night (and I don't have any butter in the house so no temptation there!!) :laugh:
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    I drink plain black tea and it seems to satisfy me for awhile. I often stress eat at night when I'm studying. These past weeks I've been good at avoiding the overeating but bad at controlling the stress. It feels like my head is going to explode right now! :-(

Good luck!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    I work nights so I do noon to noon calorie counts instead of midnight to midnight like day shifters.
  • KristalandVi
    KristalandVi Posts: 44 Member
    Late night studying. Yep. Know that one. I always log my late night snacks as same day simply because sleep hasn't happened yet.

As for actual foodstuffs:
    a small bowl (a handful or two) of healthy crackers
    a couple of handfuls of nuts, or a nut-and-fruit trail mix (just watch the dried fruit - a lot of companies add sugar to them)
    dried fruit
    fresh fruit slices
    grapes!
    peanut butter and apples or celery
    basically anything that you can sit and mindlessly nom while studying.