How long should a decent leg workout be?

Options
I work my legs out 2-3 times a week since I do an upper/lower spilt. I don't have a ton of time, is a good 30-45 minute workout sufficient for toning or even building muscle? What do some of your leg workouts look like?

Replies

• ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you're working out hard (to failure, meaning at the end of your set you feel as though you can't lift any more) then your getting the most out of your workout.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I think the amount of time you spend on it is less important than the intensity. I think, for your legs alone, you could probably go with even just 20 minutes so long as you're pushing it as hard as you can go. If you feel at the end of your workout that you've pushed your muscles as hard as they could take, then mission accomplished. This can be done by longer workouts, or more difficult moves/heavier weights.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. The length of time would vary based on the amount of rest time in between sets. Some people switch between upper body and lower body so there's less rest time between sets, but *more* rest time for a particular muscle group in between sets. If you worked that way, your lifting session would be shorter than if you split muscle groups by days. (edit: with longer rest between sets)

And yes, intensity is what really matters for your work to be effective.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Heavy squats, 3x5, with 120 second rest
    Deadlifts 1x5
    sometimes calf raises 2 x 10

Doesn't take very long at all. Covers every part of the leg, hits the core, and you even get your back work in.
    No silly leg extensions, adductor machines, or lolz, glute machine.
  • julesan902
    julesan902 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    squats - 5x5
    calf raises 5 x failure
    leg extensions - 5x5
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I usually keep my leg workouts to an hour or less, but the intensity and weight relatively high and I generally sandwich legs day with two cardio days.