donating blood ???

Options
I'm going to a memorial blood drive later today... any ideas on how much extra calories / protein I should eat? anyone heard or read a general guideline, or made a guess on logging it here, just for your own records?

Thanks.

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Just eat a good meal, drink lots of fluids before and after. Including the good sweet treats they give you. Take it easy for at least 24 hrs. I gave blood for over 25 years until the meds I am on prohibit me. It is a wonderful way to help humanity
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't log on donation days. You just need to do what your body tells you. Drink LOTS of fluids, don't skip meals. Eat well and make sure you get lots of iron and protein.

You're doing an amazing thing, so don't be hard on yourself when it comes to food. You can pick back up tomorrow where you left off :smile:
  • TheLessOfMe
    TheLessOfMe Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I gave blood a couple of weeks ago and I ate my normal meal of soup just before I went, drank a lot afterwards and made sure to have one of the biscuits they lay out after and I was fine :)
    I also signed up for bone marrow and platelets donations!
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    In Canada they used to supply tea & biscuits (plain cookies) after donating.:drinker:
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i havent given blood in ages :(
    but i found if i didnt have a good breakfast before they could get nothing out of me (used to end up doing half donations) then they used to give tea/coffee/soup and biscuits after :D
    x
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I give blood regularly, the only thing I do is make my day before my donation meal either liver and bacon, or black pudding, something iron rich.
    I do drink plenty on donation day but then I drink a lot of coffee & water anyway so that isn't really anything different.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The guy who took my blood on Friday said (without me even asking) that your body needs about 600 calories to replace the donated blood. I agree with the people who say not to log that day. Your first priority should be to keep yourself feeling well. That means having plenty of fluids and electrolytes before and after, and not being afraid to have some sugar right after you donate.

Lastly, you rock for donating!
  • Sheirai
    Sheirai Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any special protein requirements. One concern would be that your blood sugar would drop after donating, and that's why they usually give out cookies. A glass of milk before donating, and a piece of fruit or some yogurt after should head that off, so you wouldn't necessarily have to eat sugary cookies. The other concern is that you would need to replenish your hemoglobin, and eating some iron rich foods like steak, spinach, blackstrap molasses should help with that.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're getting good advice here, and I think it is a good thing to do. After I had lived in the UK for a few years, even as vegetarian, they banned me giving blood EVER again in the US due to 'risk of mad cow disease'--it's been maybe twenty+ years, and no mad cow yet, but perhaps others manifested it and passed it along--I hope not!
  • ryovanovich
    ryovanovich Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the quick replies, guys... Yeah, I try to donate 3-4 times a year (helps to have this yearly memorial, and a Red Cross station a block up from work)

And thanks Bath... excellent guideline. I will probably take everyone's advice and not log... but the 600c is good to keep in mind, just for the fact that since starting here, I've become a bit OCD.

THANKS AGAIN, EVERYONE!!!
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i used to donate for many years and i didnt do anything different, except ensure that i had eaten a proper meal before hand, and drank the sugary stuff they gave afterwards.

Take it easy and dont attempt any vigourous activity. i had the misfortune of blacking out twice due to my low blood pressure!
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the quick replies, guys... Yeah, I try to donate 3-4 times a year (helps to have this yearly memorial, and a Red Cross station a block up from work)

And thanks Bath... excellent guideline. I will probably take everyone's advice and not log... but the 600c is good to keep in mind, just for the fact that since starting here, I've become a bit OCD.

THANKS AGAIN, EVERYONE!!!

Thank you for donating to save lives. I regularly do platelet donations because they get doubles and triples out of me. It's so great to know so many people give.

Kuddos to you.
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Since I started exercising, I've been unable to donate blood. I've tried 4 times and have come in just under the iron level every time. I eat plenty of iron and iron absorbing foods now and eat much healthier so I was amazed that suddenly my iron levels have been too low. I'd been able to donate when I was a couch potato and eating bad foods lol. Upon researching this, I've found that this happens often to people who work out a lot. I'm not iron deficient for an individual, but too low for donation levels. I will keep on trying to donate because I'm only a few tenths below the donation level.
    Good luck!
  • sevaggia
    Options
    Just eat a well balanced meal with protein and lots and lots of water.. take it from someone who draws blood on a daily basis. Water is your best friend when it comes to drawing blood. It helps the veins stand out so that the phlebotomist can nab them without incident for either party (you or them).. good for you for donating
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Eat iron rich foods or just a supplement!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    No insights to offer but thanks for reminding me that I've remiss as of late.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I usually eat more iron-rich foods for the two days before I donate. Then, I eat a big breakfast (usually two eggs, toast, sausage, and fruit). I had some issues with my iron a few times when I tried to donate, and this seems to work for me.

And then I crave chicken when I leave the donation center. Almost 1 1/2 hours after donating, I get super tired and take a 3 hour nap. So worth it.
  • Oh_Em_Jayyy
    Oh_Em_Jayyy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Since I started exercising, I've been unable to donate blood. I've tried 4 times and have come in just under the iron level every time. I eat plenty of iron and iron absorbing foods now and eat much healthier so I was amazed that suddenly my iron levels have been too low. I'd been able to donate when I was a couch potato and eating bad foods lol. Upon researching this, I've found that this happens often to people who work out a lot. I'm not iron deficient for an individual, but too low for donation levels. I will keep on trying to donate because I'm only a few tenths below the donation level.
    Good luck!

This has been trouble for me all year too! Come to find I drink "too much" tea/green tea--the antioxidants will lower your iron. The day or so before donating, I've been cutting my tea (I can go through a gallon by myself every other day!) and eating lots of tuna, raisins, spinach, red meat, etc and I still barely come out to the minimum. But I am committed to donating as often as I can to save lives!:happy:
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

Same happened to me...I tried.3 or 4 times in a row after donating without issue only to not be able to...I will need to try again soon
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I do platelet apheresis every two weeks, and was able to start donating again a month after gastric bypass. I've never heard of a protein boost being needed, but lots of extra fluids before (for the phlebotomist) and after (for you) are very important. Among other things, they always check your iron first. I take iron supplements now because I need them after surgery.