Replies

• Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • TheJarv
    TheJarv Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    LOL.. yes. For most, they'd rather put the incline up on the treadmill (without holding on I hope) or the resistance on the elliptical. To each there own, but for me, lifting just isn't the same if you're not doing something for the legs.

Then again, how many gym rats do you see with huge upper bodies and stick legs? (too many)
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    LOL!!!
    I feel I get plenty of leg workout from running & biking so only train my legs once or twice a week- and they're doing just fine. It's the upper body strength that is lacking!
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    ROFL!!

In all truth, My Death Squat Routine on the Smith Machine a.k.a Sir Smith, is my FAVORITE... Next to my Torso Torture on the Smith Machine... Unless I combine them in one day - for those days when you just don't know what you want to work more so it's Multi-Torture... And Sunday just happens to be one of those days :wink:

Oh, it hurts so good!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I don't ever squat.

I'm able to pee standing up.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I don't ever squat.

*jealous* :laugh:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    ROFL!!

In all truth, My Death Squat Routine on the Smith Machine a.k.a Sir Smith, is my FAVORITE... Next to my Torso Torture on the Smith Machine... Unless I combine them in one day - for those days when you just don't know what you want to work more so it's Multi-Torture... And Sunday just happens to be one of those days :wink:

Oh, it hurts so good!

How much are you squatting without the help from the smith machine?
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I just got a trainer and she has me doing 3 variations of squats (with and without weights). So, in one training session, I am doing about 100 squats...
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I just got a trainer and she has me doing 3 variations of squats (with and without weights). So, in one training session, I am doing about 100 squats...
    *faint* and I winge about doing 3 sets of 10 with light dumbells! I will remember this next time I am starting set number 3 and think myself lucky :laugh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    ROFL!!

Oh, it hurts so good!

Death squats indeed. Smith machine is pretty much an injury machine. Human body isn't meant to move the way the Smith machine forces it to move. Squat without it, for the sake of your health.
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options

Then again, how many gym rats do you see with huge upper bodies and stick legs? (too many)

this is true...

however just the other week i was windging to a trainer that i wanted to drop out on a class with loads of squats, how foolinsh did i sound...

im not interested in upper body size, just strength so i`ll be reversing that conversation tomorrow haha..

back to the Q...
    squats around 300 a week, and leg curl/extension machine twice a week sets/reps 3/12
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    The amount you squat doesn't matter except that you do the right amount for YOU and the particular routine at hand. I did Oly bar squats for over 30 years, 10 reps, 3-4 sets and it didn't do as much for my shape as changing things up:

The routine I do consists of weight lifting first and cardio second, but I still do cardio (mainly running). I change up everything all the time. My running is sometimes long easy runs, sometimes HIIT, sometimes shorter medium pace runs. My weight routine changes each day, each week, Circuits, Intermittent Super Sets, Fibonacci Pyramids, X-sets, Progress Venus Pyramids, and some splits, constantly changing it up, everything a variety of Strength, Hypertrophy, and Endurance.

Legs; In addition to Deadlift's, Stiff Leg Dead Lifts, Sumo Dead Lifts and Squats I do Bulgarian Split Squats, Lunges, Reverse lunges, Curtsey lunges, Step Ups, Crossover Bench Step Ups, One legged Deadlifts (T-Bend), Lunge Matrix, Bowler Squat, One Legged Get Ups, Bower Squat and Calf Raise, Bowler Squat + Stiff Leg Deadlift, Curtsey Lunge + Dumbbell Squat, T-Bend + Y-Squat, Reverse Lunge & Step Up, Curtsey Lunge + Step Up, Y-squat, Narrow Stance Squat

For upper body I do Standing Shoulder Press, Standing Dumbell Curls, Lying Tricep extension, Pullovers, Bent Barbell Row, Standing lateral Raise, Standing front Raise, Curl and Press, Shoulder Press + Curl, Dips, Lying Tricep Extensions + Flyes, Venus Raise (a type of snatch), Bent Row + Standing Lateral Raise, Pullovers, Pushup + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Bent Lateral Raise + Pullovers, One Arm Dumbbell row, Flyes + Pushups, Seated Curl & Tate Press, Seated Curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Pushups, Pullovers + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Lateral Raise + Full Front Raise, Venus Raise + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Lying Tricep Extension, Upright Row + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Flat bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Bent Row Narrow, Bent Row + Kickback,

Then some upper and lower combos; Squat and Front Raise, Step Up & Press, Step Up + Standing Shoulder Press, Squat & Press, Squat & Swing, Curtsy Lunge + Standing Shoulder Pres, T-Bend & Row, Pike Front Rais + Curtsey Lunge, Flat Bench Press + Step Up.

Core: Bar Bell Rollouts (you can start out with Stability Ball Roll Outs), Swiss Ball Pikes (you can start out with Stability Ball Curl Ups), and planks. As you advance Swiss Ball Pike and pushup.

I probably forgot some but you get the idea. My pictures tell the story of how this worked out for me.

fitnessbrightoutfitblackbackground.jpg
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    lol squats are the one thing I do every day without fail or excuses! It's after a few sets of those I lose motivation..
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Now i feel like a weirdo doing 400 squats per workout
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I don't ever squat.

I can too but it makes a mess! Darn! :laugh:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I do diddly squat does that count??
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I do diddly squat does that count??

haha!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    The amount you squat doesn't matter except that you do the right amount for YOU and the particular routine at hand. I did Oly bar squats for over 30 years, 10 reps, 3-4 sets and it didn't do as much for my shape as changing things up:

The routine I do consists of weight lifting first and cardio second, but I still do cardio (mainly running). I change up everything all the time. My running is sometimes long easy runs, sometimes HIIT, sometimes shorter medium pace runs. My weight routine changes each day, each week, Circuits, Intermittent Super Sets, Fibonacci Pyramids, X-sets, Progress Venus Pyramids, and some splits, constantly changing it up, everything a variety of Strength, Hypertrophy, and Endurance.

Legs; In addition to Deadlift's, Stiff Leg Dead Lifts, Sumo Dead Lifts and Squats I do Bulgarian Split Squats, Lunges, Reverse lunges, Curtsey lunges, Step Ups, Crossover Bench Step Ups, One legged Deadlifts (T-Bend), Lunge Matrix, Bowler Squat, One Legged Get Ups, Bower Squat and Calf Raise, Bowler Squat + Stiff Leg Deadlift, Curtsey Lunge + Dumbbell Squat, T-Bend + Y-Squat, Reverse Lunge & Step Up, Curtsey Lunge + Step Up, Y-squat, Narrow Stance Squat

For upper body I do Standing Shoulder Press, Standing Dumbell Curls, Lying Tricep extension, Pullovers, Bent Barbell Row, Standing lateral Raise, Standing front Raise, Curl and Press, Shoulder Press + Curl, Dips, Lying Tricep Extensions + Flyes, Venus Raise (a type of snatch), Bent Row + Standing Lateral Raise, Pullovers, Pushup + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Bent Lateral Raise + Pullovers, One Arm Dumbbell row, Flyes + Pushups, Seated Curl & Tate Press, Seated Curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Pushups, Pullovers + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Lateral Raise + Full Front Raise, Venus Raise + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Lying Tricep Extension, Upright Row + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Flat bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Bent Row Narrow, Bent Row + Kickback,

Then some upper and lower combos; Squat and Front Raise, Step Up & Press, Step Up + Standing Shoulder Press, Squat & Press, Squat & Swing, Curtsy Lunge + Standing Shoulder Pres, T-Bend & Row, Pike Front Rais + Curtsey Lunge, Flat Bench Press + Step Up.

Core: Bar Bell Rollouts (you can start out with Stability Ball Roll Outs), Swiss Ball Pikes (you can start out with Stability Ball Curl Ups), and planks. As you advance Swiss Ball Pike and pushup.

I probably forgot some but you get the idea. My pictures tell the story of how this worked out for me.

fitnessbrightoutfitblackbackground.jpg

Couldnt you just do standard compound lifts instead of all this extra accessory work?
    I think the original post was making fun of chicken legs in a sense but a whole history of a 2 hour gym trip seem excessive.

Deadlift
    Squat
    Bench
    Press
    Row

If you need anything else then:

Dips (Tricep/chest)
    Pull ups and chins.

All that other crap is just plain excessive.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options

Yea, me too, in addition to all the lunges my routine incorporates.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    bump to read later