Burning too many calories?

Options
So todau, I did an Insanity workout (yay me!) Anyway, after i passed out. Lol not really, i checked my HRM and it said i had burned over 1200 calories. My question is, can u burn tol many calories? I take in 1800-2000. With my min allotted amount being 1600.

Is this too much? Please help!

Replies

• Drea89
    Drea89 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    pretty sure your HRM is incorrect. can't say what to do about it because i don't believe in them myself. but it's highly unlikely you burned that many calories in 50 mins.

did you really bump this thread after just 6 mins?
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    You cannot really burn too many calories but you can create a caloric deficit that is too high. You need to make sure you replace some of them
  • Drea89
    Options
    Yea i did bump in 6 mins.
  • Insanity burns calories like crazy, so I think your HRM is around the right amount. But generally yes, I would bump your calories to at least a NET of your BMR(:
  • Drea89
    Options
    My stats:

I'm 23 yrs old, 5'2, weigh 204lbs (I've lost 10 lbs in 5 wks), fat percentage about 35%.

I've always been a pretty high calorie burner (bootcamp classes, i burn 750-900 and those are 35-40 mins). I tend to get in a zone and go from there. I know calories burned are based on these things. With that being said, do i need to up my calorie intake? I'm averaging bt 1800-2000
  • Drea89
    Options
    bump
  • bankmd
    bankmd Posts: 20
    Options
    I burned that many calories on my stationary bike watching football today. I am a little crazy though (I stationary biked 46.6 miles because I injured myself, but need the endurance work for a half marathon I signed up to run).

You can up your exercise quantity too rapidly and injure yourself or break down your immune system. But cyclists in the Tour de France or swimmers like Michael Phelps burn ridiculous amounts of calories. (Way more than 1200 a day). The trick is to be well nourished, and often these folks eat and hydrate while they exercise.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's possible. it's also going to depend on your fitness level. when i first started my kickboxing class i was burning 1000-1300 cals per 60 minute class because my heart rate was so high.

but that dropped significantly to 500-800 calories after about 3 months. the last time i took the class a few months ago, i got to 450 calories. the difference is that now i have to do a lot more work to get my heart rate up. when i first started getting serious about cardio all i had to do was look at the gym for my heart rate to shoot up to 140 BPM :laugh:
  • bankmd
    bankmd Posts: 20
    Options
    Your weight also heavily influences calories burned. A 300 lb guy will burn lots more calories than me doing exactly the same exercise.
  • Drea89
    Options
    I burned that many calories on my stationary bike watching football today. I am a little crazy though (I stationary biked 46.6 miles because I injured myself, but need the endurance work for a half marathon I signed up to run).

You can up your exercise quantity too rapidly and injure yourself or break down your immune system. But cyclists in the Tour de France or swimmers like Michael Phelps burn ridiculous amounts of calories. (Way more than 1200 a day). The trick is to be well nourished, and often these folks eat and hydrate while they exercise.

Well Im not changing much but the intensity. I already do interval training 5x a week. This is just more intense. I burn a good amount of calories then also. Today's calorie burn just really caught me off guard but I love it!Thanks