Juicing

Options
I'm just wondering if any of you juice? I've been doing well in my weight loss and want to try a juice fast for many reasons, but the real reason is after watching the documentary "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" I thought of my husband. He's not super overweight. He could lose maybe twenty pounds, but he suffers with arthritis in his back and it seems to be getting worse. So after watching the documentary, i think I will do a 10 day juice fast, just to see if it makes a difference for him, and for me. Just wondering if any of you have done this and what recipes you used?
Thanks for your input.

Replies

• MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I watched that too. I also tried juice fasting and became very ill. Then I did some research on why juice fasting is not good for you. Make sure you understand all aspects before doing this. Juicing to supplement your diet is MUCH safer!!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    that movie is the devil
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    The guy in the movie has a severe condition.
    You on the other hand may just be a little overweight.

Dont confuse the 2.

Eat right and move right and youll lose the fat.

Heres a simple way of looking at fat.....

The 4 major biological functions of fat tissue are
    (1) energy storage
    (2) toxin storage
    (3) protection against insulin resistance, and
    (4) protection against estrogen decline in women.
    Eliminate the functions of fat tissue also eliminates the reasons for its existence.

So eating right will eliminate the need for fat.
    Working out right eliminates the need for fat.
    Having your hormones in the right levels helps eliminate fat.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I bought a juicer 6 months ago and I have to admit it did help me in the beginning with loosing weight however it got to be too expensive to keep up with organic produce and fruit. I now use the juicer twice a week to make my almond milk
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    The guy in the movie has a severe condition.
    You on the other hand may just be a little overweight.

Dont confuse the 2.

Eat right and move right and youll lose the fat.

THIS!!! is the exact reason why fad diets surface. Plans given to people with serious health problems go around circles and turn into diets for magical weightloss. It pas to research what you are doing and really look at the people who 'should' be doing it over people who just do it to lose weight.

If you are looking at a quick weightloss solution you don't have the right mindset to really lose the weight. If he has a condition like arthritis I'd also be consulting a GP before going ahead.
  • freedski1
    freedski1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of juicing, but more as a supplement to a healthy (solid) diet.
    Juicing on a daily basis can really benefit you in the long term, but juice fasting doesn't really do anything weight loss-wise other than make you cut water weight. The weight always comes back on, even after a long fast.
    So get a juicer, try to add green juice to your diet once a week, see if you can work up to once a day.
    My go-to recipe:
    6 kale leaves or 2 cups spinach
    romaine
    lemon
    1 sm green apple
    cucumber
    ginger
  • newness4life
    newness4life Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I wasn't necessarily looking to lose a ton of weight doing this. I was thinking more on the lines of my husband's arthritis and doing it with him to support. Also as a detox. I know what it takes to lose, and I know fad diets don't work. I'm not on a diet. I've done a life style change. But thanks for caring. Just wanted to know others opinions that have done it, or that have recipes. Thanks.
  • newness4life
    newness4life Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you freedski1! I'll try that. I also am thinking about doing juicing as a supplement.