Aspertame Addiction

Options
Okay, maybe I'm crazy, but I've been reading that you can become addicted to Aspertame. I decided to try giving up soft drinks for 7 days. The first three days were terrible. It made me realize that yes, there's an excellent chance I had an addiction to it. I'm currently on day 7, and I don't plan on going back.

There's articles out there, that are just a google search away, about the negative impacts of excess diet soda intake. Notice I said excess, one or two a day probably isn't a huge deal, but when you drank 64oz. or more a day, plus low-carb energy drinks, like I was, well that's a train wreck.

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Congrats on giving them up. Feel free to ask for help to stay away if/when you need it. Need to give them up myself, but for now am just cut back to one diet drink per day. Or that's what I do when I'm not traveling.

I gave up alcohol 10 years ago cold turkey, so I know it's not easy if it was truly an addiction, but if it was an addiction, it's more than worth the struggle.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It's possible you are also addicted to caffiene...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What resource did you use to tell you that aspartame is addictive?
  • emilybeatrice1
    emilybeatrice1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm giving it up as well.... i want to see how my body changes after 30 days of no soda and no alcohol.
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think anything is addictive, but Im assuming that its probably more likely the caffeine that you are addicted to, just like me.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't now if it is actually true, but maybe. I sometimes think I have developed an addiction to just artificial sugar at all. I add it to everything! :/
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's possible you are also addicted to caffiene...

+1 Almost all soda has caffeine which is far more addictive than aspertame (which I doubt). Caffeine withdrawal is nasty with intense headaches.