Planet Fitness Commercial

Options
RedHeadDevotchka
RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU0LhfFmEnU

Just saw thisConfused as to what it's supposedly proving? That planet fitness is for weak men that like to sing in the shower? I mean....c'mon. Thoughts?

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I hate planet fitness. Their commercials and rules are ridiculous. They advertise as a 'judgement free zone' and yet they are judging bodybuilders and powerlifters. =/ Every commercial just emphasizes the stereotype of bodybuilders being complete meatheads and it irritates the hell out of me.

Some don't even have squat racks and I was reading about deadlifting being banned at their gym... Might as well put a sign up saying "No training allowed". I would never join a gym like this that embarrases people with the 'lunk alarm', gives free pizza all the time, and bans the big exercises.
  • socko6774
    socko6774 Posts: 200
    Options
    i dunno, i think thier commercials are pretty funny and spot on. cant stand the gym douchers.
  • frankiedb
    frankiedb Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, just seen it. I think their commercials are funny. Some guys do get out of hand in the gyms.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    i dunno, i think thier commercials are pretty funny and spot on. cant stand the gym douchers.

I can't stand them either, but I think it's funny watching them with their bad form trying to impress everyone. But the commercials are grouping all the idiots with the serious people who are there to get strong and grow. I'd like to see the people making these commercials try to train and bust their *kitten* like some of the power lifters out there and then make fun of them.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I think it's clever marketing. They want to bring in the people who are intimidated by heavy lifters, but who aren't exactly serious or know what they're doing with exercise. That being said, PF is my primary gym and I use it all the time, I still see tons of people in there doing all sorts of lifting and free weights. Including those that fall into the "douche" category.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    According to the comments, you should go to the gym if a woman is more man than you are. The fourth person in the quartet is Lauren Powers, FEMALE body builder.
  • socko6774
    Options
    the new one with Ab guy is the best, " anybody lose a washboard???? nah"
  • socko6774
    Options

I can't stand them either, but I think it's funny watching them with their bad form trying to impress everyone. But the commercials are grouping all the idiots with the serious people who are there to get strong and grow. I'd like to see the people making these commercials try to train and bust their *kitten* like some of the power lifters out there and then make fun of them.

well they cater to people who dont want to be in that kind of element when their working out. Ive read some stories about juice heads getting angry at the marketing and boycotting planet fitness, which i find comical and ironic because thats the whole point of their marketing/commercials!! they dont want those idiots there! duh...
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Yeah that one's a riot!

I'm a Planet Fitness member.
    Never been to a pizza night though...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Meh. They're attracting their target market. You can read a million posts on the boards of people who are scared to go to the gym. PF wants those people. They don't care for the serious fitness market- there's probably 1,000 people who are uncomfortable at the gym for every person who would be considered serious. They poke fun at the serious people in order to make the unfit feel more welcome, like they fit in. It's a solid strategy. I don't hate it. It's just not for me.

I certainly don't hate a gym that can get people started for $10 a month. It's a beginner gym. I think it's great to encourage folks to do SOMETHING where they feel comfortable instead of staying at home scared to try. I'm all for it.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I go to PF and I like it a lot. My gym is unique to others as it does have a scale. There is one juice head that goes there though and eats an apple while he's lifting. Annoying yet hilarious. They have a crap ton of cardio machines; almost too much. I have heard complaints about the weight lifting section, but I'm not an avid lifter, so obviously that's not an issue for me. I like their 30 minute xpress work out and 12 minute abs on those days you guys don't feel like doing an intense routine. The whole pizza day, bagel thing threw me off, and I never eat it, but I think it's the concept of not depriving yourself and getting a treat once in awhile. What I like about the gym in our area is they promote health restaurants and will sometimes bring in trays and samples of their food (Tropical Cafe smoothie, karvana, urban frog)
  • JLand918
    JLand918 Posts: 156
    Options
    PF was great years ago now they are a joke.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have done PF for years and when I was 125 pounds heavier and afraid of looking like an idiot, it was good and has a great culture. Mine is like a family, the managers and core people that go there, I love that I see all abilities, body types and socio economic levels. Now at mine, I dead lift all the time and there are lots of big muscle men that workout there, in saying that, PF can only take you so far and I get bored after a bit so I augment my training with some fitness classes and personal training, because although the PF trainers are great, they are not hard core. All in all I love PF as a home gym, but it is more basic than my needs are at this point, but is awesome for a beginner and economical
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness...and yes they have gotten press lately about throwing people out who were being loud and groaning or looking like they're about to drop everything on their heads.

I went to LA Fitness and felt kind of embarrassed...then two guys started laughing and saying 'Poor treadmill' and I never went back. It is an atmosphere thing...

The 'personal training' is a joke though. You kinda have to figure crap out on your own unless you're willing to work with a large group of other people in a class like setting. I'd like the option to have a one on one to learn free weights.

Course for 20 bucks a month (I like the massage chair) you can't really beat it.
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    I'm a Planet Fitness member.
    Never been to a pizza night though...

A gym with a pizza day and cupcakes because they "make you feel good on the inside."

I'm not normally a troll type, but part of me wants to spend 10 dollars just so I can troll a gym LOL. Wonder how long it takes me to get kicked out for lifting heavy...
  • Arkani7
    Arkani7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

I just looked it up on YouTube and I laughed so hard :D:D

The only commercials I know here in Germany are the ones from McFit ... they have the Klitschko Brothers in their commercials and these are the most ridiculous spots I have ever seen. The ones from planet fitness are at least kind of funny
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Honestly for people like my sister that live in Manhattan, works & goes to school and is overweight this is the perfect gym for her. Unfortunately they are opened in Brooklyn, which its goal is to attract the Hipster crowd (waif skinny people that don't want to splurge at the New York Sports Club.) My sister likes to go to gyms with people that have "normal bodies," and gets kind of intimidated at the bulk bodies, lean models that were at the gym that I was a member of.

I have nothing against Planet Fitness and their commercials are funny as hell but I highly doubt it if I will become a member if they ever move down south. What kind of gym urges fitness and offer pizza? Besides I did hear some complaints about their billing practices.

Overall I don't care what type of gym I go to as long as they have adequate, clean equipment. Screw People I'm gonna get my workout!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Meh. They're attracting their target market. You can read a million posts on the boards of people who are scared to go to the gym. PF wants those people. They don't care for the serious fitness market- there's probably 1,000 people who are uncomfortable at the gym for every person who would be considered serious. They poke fun at the serious people in order to make the unfit feel more welcome, like they fit in. It's a solid strategy. I don't hate it. It's just not for me.

I certainly don't hate a gym that can get people started for $10 a month. It's a beginner gym. I think it's great to encourage folks to do SOMETHING where they feel comfortable instead of staying at home scared to try. I'm all for it.

i agree with this. i dont understand the hate against gyms like PF. not everyone goes to a gym to get ripped, train like an athlete, increase their V02 max, get to 15% body fat etc. plus there are many people who are intimidated by more serious gyms, so i think PF is a great idea as long as it gets people moving.

i think their commercials are pretty funny and take no offense in them even though i'm one of those "lift things up and put them down" people. then again i'm used to my less workout intense friends making fun of me for my she hulk gi jane muscle head workouts :laugh:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Honestly for people like my sister that live in Manhattan, works & goes to school and is overweight this is the perfect gym for her. Unfortunately they are opened in Brooklyn, which its goal is to attract the Hipster crowd (waif skinny people that don't want to splurge at the New York Sports Club.) My sister likes to go to gyms with people that have "normal bodies," and gets kind of intimidated at the bulk bodies, lean models that were at the gym that I was a member of.

I have nothing against Planet Fitness and their commercials are funny as hell but I highly doubt it if I will become a member if they ever move down south. What kind of gym urges fitness and offer pizza? Besides I did hear some complaints about their billing practices.

Overall I don't care what type of gym I go to as long as they have adequate, clean equipment. Screw People I'm gonna get my workout!

that downtown BK planet fitness is more like a homeless shelter now. when it first opened it was OK but now it's sketchy.

i hear there's another PF style place in the city (near union square/west village) that's related somehow to equinox but way cheaper.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options

that downtown BK planet fitness is more like a homeless shelter now. when it first opened it was OK but now it's sketchy.

i hear there's another PF style place in the city (near union square/west village) that's related somehow to equinox but way cheaper.

LMAO that totally made my day, tooo FREAKING FUNNY! I thought with the gentrification and new luxury condos that would not happen for at least another year!