Hcg diet

Options
Has anyone here used the HCG? Have you had any results? Any side effects?

Replies

• am12341
    am12341 Posts: 23
    Options
    Don't do it! You eat like 500 calories a day and are told not to exercise. Are you an intelligent person? Because to me that sounds insane.

My mom has spent tons of money on it....Why? Because she did it once, lost weight, gained weight and did it again.

Save your money and your sanity and do it the healthy way. The way that you'll be able to maintain the rest of your life.
  • Spimoli
    Spimoli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried HCG about a year ago. I did lose about 20 pounds but I have found it again! I found it way too restricting in regards to the food allowed and I know I couldn't eat like that for the rest of my life.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Had a coworker who did it - the one with the vitamin shots and all? She lost a little weight but was heavier than she started within a couple of months. It's an expensive controlled fast.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    no one with any sense does that.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    no one with any sense does that.

this
  • chicfreak9
    chicfreak9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    A friend did it lost weight and then some his wife says hes too skinny now. That he's afraid to to eat that he'll gain the weight back. Just curious I've been reading a lot about it and I have hit a plateau :sad:
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    A co-worker and friend did it. Lost a LOT of weight. In less than 8 months gained it all back PLUS some. This does not teach you how to eat right or have a healthy lifestyle. So it really doesn't seem like a good idea.
  • am12341
    am12341 Posts: 23
    Options
    A friend did it lost weight and then some his wife says hes too skinny now. That he's afraid to to eat that he'll gain the weight back. Just curious I've been reading a lot about it and I have hit a plateau :sad:

Spend the money on a couple sessions with a personal trainer, or a nutritionist!

Seriously, training yourself to eat 500 calories a day sounds a lot like anorexia to me. Not cool.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    26075904.jpg
  • chicfreak9
    chicfreak9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    LOL that was funny:laugh:
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    dont do anything you can not stick with for the rest of your life remember you are not on a diet you are doing this for life!!!! There are no short cuts when it comes to a healthy lifestyle
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on it and my mom had a lot of success with it. Has been six months and she is still at her goal weight.

I must say though that no one should do this diet if they cannot commit to eating foods that the body can handle. I spent 6 months on the paleo diet (because of lupus) and learned that I cannot handle dairy or gluten any more. I cannot really process any type of grains. Paleo worked for me and I lost 30 lbs. The way of eating during HCG is very similar to the way I have already been eating. Through paleo I became fat-adapted and my body was running better on a more fat based than carb based diet. My doctor says I am just not someone who works well with carbs.

That being said, I have already committed to the diet necessary to make hcg work and so it is not a far stretch for me. What IS hard is the loading days but I digress. Eating just meat, veggies and fruit is my normal thing. I'm not afraid to eat that way at all, I am used to it, I crave it, and I've got a bunch of extra fat on my body to sustain myself for a while.

If you are going to do a diet like hcg and then go back to the way of eating that got you to that place you didn't want to be, then hcg is not for you. I am forced to commit to not eating grains or dairy so I no longer eat those foods that contributed to my weight gain. This is why I'm confident in my ability to maintain the loss when I am done.

So any way, just my two cents. It is certainly not for everybody, and it isn't a quick fix. It is a lifelong commitment (unless you like to do the diet over and over again- which apparently eventually stops working).
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Like anything else, it only works if you change your overall eating habits. I did it last year at this time and lost 22 lbs, then went to a Paleo/Primal way of eating, lost 5 more and have maintained that weight since March. I just started another round to drop another 15 to 20 lbs and am confident I will keep it off by continuing with the Paleo/Primal way of eating.

I have four other friends that have done it as well, and all but one lost and maintained their loss. None of us altered our activity levels during the diet.

Yes, it's the calorie deficit that makes you lose, but the HCG makes it easier because you don't feel hungry, and you're burning fat. It is not something that you can continue to do long term, but is a useful short term tool to drop a more significant amount of weight in a short period of time. If you're going to give it a try, I highly recommend the prescription shots under a doctor's care. Much of the homeopathic stuff out there is over priced and ineffective.
  • Amlong1977
    Amlong1977 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! You eat like 500 calories a day and are told not to exercise. Are you an intelligent person? Because to me that sounds insane.

My mom has spent tons of money on it....Why? Because she did it once, lost weight, gained weight and did it again.

Save your money and your sanity and do it the healthy way. The way that you'll be able to maintain the rest of your life.
    I couldn't agree more! It's expensive & not a healthy or sustainable lifestyle change.
  • Amlong1977
    Amlong1977 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you've plateaued try switching up your calories, more/less, switch up your workouts, be patient & you'll overcome it. I've lost 93 lbs so far & have plateaued several times & have always overcome it. I don't use any supplements, diet aids, none of that. Healthy eating & regular exercise will pay off & are sustainable lifestyle changes. You can do this!!!
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on it and my mom had a lot of success with it. Has been six months and she is still at her goal weight.

I must say though that no one should do this diet if they cannot commit to eating foods that the body can handle. I spent 6 months on the paleo diet (because of lupus) and learned that I cannot handle dairy or gluten any more. I cannot really process any type of grains. Paleo worked for me and I lost 30 lbs. The way of eating during HCG is very similar to the way I have already been eating. Through paleo I became fat-adapted and my body was running better on a more fat based than carb based diet. My doctor says I am just not someone who works well with carbs.

That being said, I have already committed to the diet necessary to make hcg work and so it is not a far stretch for me. What IS hard is the loading days but I digress. Eating just meat, veggies and fruit is my normal thing. I'm not afraid to eat that way at all, I am used to it, I crave it, and I've got a bunch of extra fat on my body to sustain myself for a while.

If you are going to do a diet like hcg and then go back to the way of eating that got you to that place you didn't want to be, then hcg is not for you. I am forced to commit to not eating grains or dairy so I no longer eat those foods that contributed to my weight gain. This is why I'm confident in my ability to maintain the loss when I am done.

So any way, just my two cents. It is certainly not for everybody, and it isn't a quick fix. It is a lifelong commitment (unless you like to do the diet over and over again- which apparently eventually stops working).

HCG does NOT work! Over and over again, scientsts have proven that HCG does NOTHING for weight loss or to make it safe to eat so few calories for weeks!

Any doctor that puts people on that diet should lose their license to practice medicine!

The HCG diet is a TOTAL SCAM, as ANYONE would lose weight fast if they starved on only 500 calories a day for weeks!

But anyone that attempts that diet is taking a HUGE risk with their health!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm281333.htm
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    26075904.jpg
    Lol THIS.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Like anything else, it only works if you change your overall eating habits. I did it last year at this time and lost 22 lbs, then went to a Paleo/Primal way of eating, lost 5 more and have maintained that weight since March. I just started another round to drop another 15 to 20 lbs and am confident I will keep it off by continuing with the Paleo/Primal way of eating.

I have four other friends that have done it as well, and all but one lost and maintained their loss. None of us altered our activity levels during the diet.

Yes, it's the calorie deficit that makes you lose, but the HCG makes it easier because you don't feel hungry, and you're burning fat. It is not something that you can continue to do long term, but is a useful short term tool to drop a more significant amount of weight in a short period of time. If you're going to give it a try, I highly recommend the prescription shots under a doctor's care. Much of the homeopathic stuff out there is over priced and ineffective.

I am sorry to hear that you are doing another round of HCG. You should not be taking ANYTHING that makes it feel ok to eat only 500 calores a day! Aneorexics eat more calories than that, and whether you take HCG or not, it's NOT HEALTHY to deprive your body of nurition for weeks on that dangerous diet plan!

Any doctor that prescribes HCG shots for weight loss should be stripped of their license to practice medicine, because it has been PROVEN over and over again not to work! You are just wasting your money on those shots, and risking your health, not only with starvation level eating, but by messing with your hormone balance -- which can cause all sorts of problems!

I would recommend that you fire that doctor and forget about HCG. It's very suductive to be offered something that claims to make your weight problems go away, but in the end, most people that do HCG end up larger than they were before because it's just another fad yo-yo diet that doesn't work as advertised.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It is NOT worth the long term harmful effects to just about every major organ in your body!

HCG does NOT work! Over and over again, scientsts have proven that HCG does NOTHING for weight loss or to make it safe to eat so few calories for weeks!

Any doctor that puts people on that diet should lose their license to practice medicine!

The HCG diet is a TOTAL SCAM, as ANYONE would lose weight fast if they starved on only 500 calories a day for weeks!

But anyone that attempts that diet is taking a HUGE risk with their health!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm281333.htm
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    We all hit plateaus, but fad diets are not the answer. You've lost 22lbs (way to go!), and it may be that you need to adjust your calories. As we become more fit and our bodies begin to change, our calorie needs change as well. Changing up the workout routine can help, too - do you do mostly cardio, or a mix of that and resistance or strength training?

To check out and possibly adjust your calories, check out this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Use the tools in the links provided there, and see what they give you - it helped me out tremendously! And it's all sustainable and free - it's part of your healthy lifestyle change, and it works. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.