Setting realistic goals

Options
So after about 7 months on here, I have noticed that, besides everyone on here being just AWESOME people in general, there are some things that I think people tend to forget. The biggest thing that I see is setting realistic goals. I just wanted to point a few facts out that I have learned the hard way (by doing it) and also have researched and found out.

1)
Some people on here have a lot of weight to loose, others are trying to trim up, yet others have already lost the weight and are trying to maintain or even become larger in a healthy way. Your goals should be based on what you can do, taking into account your lifestyle, job, resposibilities, resources, and support system. It helps some to write everything out and reason it, others can do it all in their head, Yet others need to sit down with someone knowledgeable about it and work out a plan.

In any case, my first point is to create your own goal, something that has facts and planning behind it. Forget what others are doing at first, concentrate on what you can achieve. Once you have set your goals and feel they are reasonable, then you can look outward for inspiration, help, and advice.

2)
Sometimes people loose track of the goal of this site. This site isn't for dieting, or loosing weight, no no my pals! It's for living a more healthy life, being happy with yourself. Weight loss is usually a predomanant factor in this, yes, but it's not why were all here! We're here to learn how to live more Fit so that we never have to go back to being what many of us were, out of shape, and unhappy with our self-image.

3)
Loosing weight and becoming physically and mentally fit is a SLOOOOOOW process. I doubt anyone here gained all their weight in a month or three, so don't attempt to take it off in that time. It takes the body a certain amount of time to adjust to weight loss, chemically as well as mentally, hormone levels change, energy distribution changes, chemical makeup changes. That's a main reason starvation is so bad for you, it drastically alters your body chemistry, will you loose weight? Sure, probably, but your also eating your organs from the inside, and deveoping issues such as gallstones and a weak heart.

I know we talk about this stuff on the site, but a lot of times it's disjointed and spaced out. And some of the new people don't realize what it takes to be healthy. I hope this helps. I hope you all become healthy and happy with your bodies as I have!
:happy:
-Steve

Replies

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    So after about 7 months on here, I have noticed that, besides everyone on here being just AWESOME people in general, there are some things that I think people tend to forget. The biggest thing that I see is setting realistic goals. I just wanted to point a few facts out that I have learned the hard way (by doing it) and also have researched and found out.

1)
    Some people on here have a lot of weight to loose, others are trying to trim up, yet others have already lost the weight and are trying to maintain or even become larger in a healthy way. Your goals should be based on what you can do, taking into account your lifestyle, job, resposibilities, resources, and support system. It helps some to write everything out and reason it, others can do it all in their head, Yet others need to sit down with someone knowledgeable about it and work out a plan.

In any case, my first point is to create your own goal, something that has facts and planning behind it. Forget what others are doing at first, concentrate on what you can achieve. Once you have set your goals and feel they are reasonable, then you can look outward for inspiration, help, and advice.

2)
    Sometimes people loose track of the goal of this site. This site isn't for dieting, or loosing weight, no no my pals! It's for living a more healthy life, being happy with yourself. Weight loss is usually a predomanant factor in this, yes, but it's not why were all here! We're here to learn how to live more Fit so that we never have to go back to being what many of us were, out of shape, and unhappy with our self-image.

3)
    Loosing weight and becoming physically and mentally fit is a SLOOOOOOW process. I doubt anyone here gained all their weight in a month or three, so don't attempt to take it off in that time. It takes the body a certain amount of time to adjust to weight loss, chemically as well as mentally, hormone levels change, energy distribution changes, chemical makeup changes. That's a main reason starvation is so bad for you, it drastically alters your body chemistry, will you loose weight? Sure, probably, but your also eating your organs from the inside, and deveoping issues such as gallstones and a weak heart.

I know we talk about this stuff on the site, but a lot of times it's disjointed and spaced out. And some of the new people don't realize what it takes to be healthy. I hope this helps. I hope you all become healthy and happy with your bodies as I have!
    :happy:
    -Steve
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks Steve. I agree with all of it and especially #3. I see so many people getting frustrated because it isn't happening fast enough. We just have to keep plugging away at it day by day that's all.
    You guys have a great week and great spring break, I"m off to Texas to see the fam!

:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Absolutely right. It took me a long time to realize all of that. I tried taking diet pills and starving myself and I finally got it into my head that this has to be slow, steady and healthy. I have a 15 month old boy. I cannot be weak with starvation on any given day. I want to have ANOTHER baby, so I cannot mess up my reproductive "area" by starvation either. I finally figured all this out and started on a healthier journey. I am now officially more than half-way to my goal weight. As of yesterday, I was down 68 lbs and need to lose another 67 to get to 135 lbs. I have lost anywhere from 1-4 lbs a week, just depending on how my body was reacting. I ate healthy, enjoyed myself and exercised. Simple. I have just learned a better way to fuel my body. Pretty cool!!
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    Thanks for pointing out the realities. I know I was one who said, Ah the scale doesn't matter, it's how I feel, but the truth is, it's frustrating. I was reading a post here that was talking about how long it takes your body to adjust to eating changes. I didn't get to read it all and now I can't even remember who wrote it, but I do know it was written within the last week and it was very long. If anyone can bump that to the top, I'd like to read it again.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Thank you Mr. Banks!! You are awesome. I have thought some of those same things at times reading some posts but couldn't gel it into a cohesive unit like that. This is not a quick fix. I finally figured out why it is different for me this time - the whole "dieting" thing. Instead of falling off after 2 hrs, days or weeks, 3 months after I started I'm still plugging along. Because it is a lifestyle change - not a quick fix and my brain finally got it! Thanks for putting out the good info and gelling it all together. :heart: :bigsmile: