Should I do this?

Options
I've just started my first year away from home at uni a month ago, and I've lost nearly 8kg since I left, just with the walking to and from and by eating less. One of my flatmates (we'll call her R) when I complained that without a gym membership, I have little to do, suggested I go with her to the fitness class she goes to, which she says is great.
Only thing is, it's a -pole- fitness class.
R is in about the same shape as I am, and her legs are about the same size as mine (though she's shorter than me so probably lighter), but I'm absolutely terrified. She says you have to wear shorts and can't wear tights because the grip comes from your legs. But my legs are so tree-trunky and bulgy and discoloured and horrid, and I'm scared that the shorts (which I have yet to buy) won't cover my SI scars (from 4-5 years ago). She also says there aren't many skinny people there though, which does help. :/
I'd also love the chance to go along -with- someone to exercise, to motivate me. And R's such a lovely person.
But I always wear such modest clothes, and apart from the embarrassment, my legs... just..
Any ideas on things I can tell myself to get myself to go along with it?

Replies

• samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes you should do it. I'm sure it will be fun. I wouldn't worry about how you look in shorts. You're trying to do something about it anyway. You should go, and if you don't like it or feel uncomfortable you don't have to go back.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Most people are so worried about how they look working out they don't have anytime to worry about others. Sweetie if I were you I'd just do it! Seriously life is too short to worry about what other people think about anything! JUST DO IT!
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am about 24 years older than you but I am about your build (5"10', 190# and trying to get to 155#). I think that you should go for it. 'Get that confidence at a young age and it will serve you well into the future. Plus, it sounds like a new adventure and that is what university is for! When you are my age, working full-time with rug-rats and all the responsibilities of being an adult, you will regret not taking these risks now!!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Feel the fear and do it anyway! You'll be so proud of yourself that you did and your self esteem will soar. I've always wanted to try pole dancing - it is supposed to be an incredibly effective fitness exercise. At the very least you'll have fun. I always felt I was too overweight to do a fun run but when I did it I realised there were people much larger than myself giving it ago. It's easy to make excuses about why you shouldn't or can't do something but personal growthy comes from giving it a go anyway.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I think you should go too. I've never done pole fitness, but like working out anywhere, we get ourselves so psyched out that people will be watching and we're disgusting and on and on, but like you said, it's not just super skinny people that go to any sort of fitness class and even the ones that are skinny, they weren't necessarily always like that and had to start somewhere just like you are. I bet you'll have tons of fun!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Feel the fear and do it anyway! You'll be so proud of yourself that you did and your self esteem will soar. I've always wanted to try pole dancing - it is supposed to be an incredibly effective fitness exercise. At the very least you'll have fun. I always felt I was too overweight to do a fun run but when I did it I realised there were people much larger than myself giving it ago. It's easy to make excuses about why you shouldn't or can't do something but personal growthy comes from giving it a go anyway.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Seriously, have you seen proper pole dancers bodies, they are generally amazing!! It is obviously a brilliant work out, and I bet you'll have loads of fun doing it. No one there will be bothered what you look like in shorts, they will be too busy worrying about what they look like in their own shorts lol. GO FOR IT!!
  • b14a3w3
    b14a3w3 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Go! Go! Go! They will glance at you for 5 seconds before they are into what they are doing. Why ruin your chance to experience something exciting that you can say you have done for 5 seconds of someone else's problem? When you get older you will not care one whit about what anyone else thinks. Why not start not caring now? Have fun!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't know, it doesn't sound like you're that comfortable with the idea. Why don't you get some shorts and see how you look/feel in them, and then if you feel ok about it, go to one session and see how you feel. If you really hate it, then you don't have to go back. If you're really not comfortable doing it at all though, why don't you suggest trying something else with your flatmate?
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Do it. It'll improve your self-image as well as your physical fitness! :flowerforyou:
  • ShamaraRobyn
    Options
    Thank you everyone :) You're right, I should just go and enjoy it- what I should be worrying about is whether I will actually have the strength to climb the pole... haha~
    And I'd also heard it was a great workout.. I was just nervous as I always thought of pole dancing as something highly inappropriate and not fitting solely in a fitness context :P She says it's a laugh though.. should be good. Thanks :)

Jester: Yeah, I know I'm not going to feel okay in the shorts, but I figure I'll go to one session anyway. If I really hate it I'll just lose some more weight and then be more confident in going to gym next year. To be honest I couldn't do it without my flatmate- even just going to the gym at this weight. Also I would, but student fitness union memberships are £85/year and I can't afford it this year :/ I reckon this is worth a shot. Just gotta swallow my misplaced pride!