bake according to box instructions.

BEANS NEVER TASTED SO GOOD!
    in fact, you cant even taste them.
    kids love 'em too.
    absolutely delish!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I puree my red kidney beans and turn them into a creamy soup. You can add sausage or sour cream to them at that point.

Monica

P.S. If you really hate the skin texture, put it through a colander....you'll miss some nutrients but it'll be creamier.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said to cook your own beans rather than using canned ones. The texture is different. My all time favorite is Great Northern White beans but I like red kidney beans too.....Both well enough to eat by themselves. Can't stand black beans.

I like to put some beans in my vegetable soup....basically a canned-tomato based soup with any veggies I have. Usually carrots, celery, onions, potoatoes, some kind of greens (spinach, kale, chard), maybe corn kernels.

I'm going to investigate the "desserts" that use beans.

I also agree with the people who said, "If you can't stand the taste/texture, don't eat it, there are other choices.
    To get good protein use pasturized egg whites (either liquid or powdered) in a fruit/veggie smoothie. Good for breakfast.

I understand your desire to learn to like beans though. They are a cheap healthy nourishing food. Keep trying different beans and different recipes until you have something you like.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about eating Dark Chocolate cake-like brownies? Yes, I am asking this in your how do I eat beans thread. Do I have your attention?

You puree 1 can of beans (I used low sodium versions), you can use either garbanzo beans or black beans. I tried both ways. The black beans were much easier to puree and the mix poured a lot more smoothly. You beat 2 eggs and add 1/2 tsp baking powder and mix into beans. You melt 1 cup of DARK chocolate chips in microwave and add them in to mix. Puree all till smooth and bake. Yes, it is that fast and easy. No one who has tried it yet has guessed that there were ANY beans in it. Some of my friends have been fooling their husbands with it. I fooled my finicky father with it.

Both my folks preferred the black bean version. The black bean was easier to make & smoother. It also looks darker. But, the garbanzo bean version comes out fluffier, moister & I think I liked the flavor of it just a wee bit better. I don't know. I cut the resulting "brownie cake" into 8 slices (as shown in the pictures below) and per my recipe calculator, it came to 171 calories (for a huge slice really), 7g fat, 3.6g fiber, and 6g of protein per serving. Healthy & tasty. The black bean slices weigh 1.6 but the garbanzo slices weigh 2.2. So, they really become fuller somehow though the same quantity of everything is used. Weird, eh? It is a shade dry, so I might try adding honey or applesauce next time or baking it for a shorter time. One lady did hers for half the time and said they were cooked and moister. I'm not sure about that, but figured I'd share the info. One of my friends is thinking of trying zucchini in hers to add moisture. Go figure. So, here are all the formal details:

Ingredients:

1 can of garbanzo beans or black beans, rinsed and drained (I use the low-sodium version)
    1 cup of chocolate chips (I personally use the reeeeally dark chocolate because I like the way it tastes and you can use way less than say milk chocolate and have a much more chocolaty flavor -- plus, I don't eat dairy)
    2 whole eggs (though some of my friends made it with 3 egg whites & 1 yolk, I think that's silly and too much work <g>)
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with Pam or some alternative. I lined mine with foil first cuz I hate to clean pans. <g>
    -Place the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl. The recipe directions said: Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds after the first minute, until chocolate is melted and smooth. If you have a powerful microwave, reduce the power to 50 percent. What I ACTUALLY did was just to nuke 'em for 2 minutes without stopping and I had no problems. *shrug*
    -Combine the beans and eggs in the bowl of a food processor (though I did mine in a blender <g>). Process until smooth. Add the baking powder, and pulse to blend. Those are the directions. Me, I whipped the eggs with a fork then I beat in the baking powder in a bowl. In the processor/blender, I did the beans and then mixed in the eggs/baking powder.
    -Pour in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth, scraping down the corners to make sure chocolate is completely mixed. -Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan.
    -Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. (see note above about some folks doing it for less time)

Some like to top it with sliced strawberries or raspberries and dust with a little bit of organic confectioners sugar. It adds a lot more calories, but you can also melt some chocolate chips on top at the end and make it like a hard candy frosting. Yum. I just ate mine plain and they were still good (but a bit dry).

And now, the promised picture:
    IMAG0749.jpg

So, what do ya think about them beans?
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    roast the garbanzos ........ they are DELICIOUS !

crazy like canned and then roast then or dry out of a bag
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have NOT tried this, but I had a friend once who used to blend them up and stir them into a thick chili. She did this because she also hated the texture of them. This made the sauce thick, and the boldness of the chili flavour basically eliminates the mild beany taste.
  • LethalBeauty
    Options
    Chili !!! I just had some the other day, it was sooo good.
    What about maple syrup beans? I ate a whole can yesterday, they are so yummy!
  • 20tulipgirl20
    Options
    How do you feel about eating Dark Chocolate cake-like brownies? Yes, I am asking this in your how do I eat beans thread. Do I have your attention?

You puree 1 can of beans (I used low sodium versions), you can use either garbanzo beans or black beans. I tried both ways. The black beans were much easier to puree and the mix poured a lot more smoothly. You beat 2 eggs and add 1/2 tsp baking powder and mix into beans. You melt 1 cup of DARK chocolate chips in microwave and add them in to mix. Puree all till smooth and bake. Yes, it is that fast and easy. No one who has tried it yet has guessed that there were ANY beans in it. Some of my friends have been fooling their husbands with it. I fooled my finicky father with it.

Looks really really good. I am going to try this!!
    Both my folks preferred the black bean version. The black bean was easier to make & smoother. It also looks darker. But, the garbanzo bean version comes out fluffier, moister & I think I liked the flavor of it just a wee bit better. I don't know. I cut the resulting "brownie cake" into 8 slices (as shown in the pictures below) and per my recipe calculator, it came to 171 calories (for a huge slice really), 7g fat, 3.6g fiber, and 6g of protein per serving. Healthy & tasty. The black bean slices weigh 1.6 but the garbanzo slices weigh 2.2. So, they really become fuller somehow though the same quantity of everything is used. Weird, eh? It is a shade dry, so I might try adding honey or applesauce next time or baking it for a shorter time. One lady did hers for half the time and said they were cooked and moister. I'm not sure about that, but figured I'd share the info. One of my friends is thinking of trying zucchini in hers to add moisture. Go figure. So, here are all the formal details:

Ingredients:

1 can of garbanzo beans or black beans, rinsed and drained (I use the low-sodium version)
    1 cup of chocolate chips (I personally use the reeeeally dark chocolate because I like the way it tastes and you can use way less than say milk chocolate and have a much more chocolaty flavor -- plus, I don't eat dairy)
    2 whole eggs (though some of my friends made it with 3 egg whites & 1 yolk, I think that's silly and too much work <g>)
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with Pam or some alternative. I lined mine with foil first cuz I hate to clean pans. <g>
    -Place the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl. The recipe directions said: Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds after the first minute, until chocolate is melted and smooth. If you have a powerful microwave, reduce the power to 50 percent. What I ACTUALLY did was just to nuke 'em for 2 minutes without stopping and I had no problems. *shrug*
    -Combine the beans and eggs in the bowl of a food processor (though I did mine in a blender <g>). Process until smooth. Add the baking powder, and pulse to blend. Those are the directions. Me, I whipped the eggs with a fork then I beat in the baking powder in a bowl. In the processor/blender, I did the beans and then mixed in the eggs/baking powder.
    -Pour in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth, scraping down the corners to make sure chocolate is completely mixed. -Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan.
    -Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. (see note above about some folks doing it for less time)

Some like to top it with sliced strawberries or raspberries and dust with a little bit of organic confectioners sugar. It adds a lot more calories, but you can also melt some chocolate chips on top at the end and make it like a hard candy frosting. Yum. I just ate mine plain and they were still good (but a bit dry).

And now, the promised picture:
    IMAG0749.jpg

So, what do ya think about them beans?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You certainly don't have to eat beans if you don't like them.
  • Dreajewkes
    Options
    When I make re-fried beans I add a lot of spices to the mix such as cumin, chili powder, onion powder, red cayenne pepper, and i also add salsa to the mixture so that its not straight beans. Not to mention some sour cream is super delicious! I usually will pour that over-top of my lettuce and make my own taco salad. Good luck with your new adventure in trying new recipes with beans :smile:
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    puree a can of black beans
    add to a brownie mix in place of wet ingredients
    bake according to box instructions.

BEANS NEVER TASTED SO GOOD!
    in fact, you cant even taste them.
    kids love 'em too.
    absolutely delish!

Brilliant and beautiful... me like.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    refried beans?? i'm not much of a bean fan, but i love me some refried beans
  • qtfemtaur
    Options
    OMG so glad I found this thread. I, too, absolutely detest beans. I can handle hummus and even enjoy it-- but pretty much every other kind grosses me out. I'd like to try a vegetarian or even vegan diet for a while, but am afraid I wouldn't be able to without eating beans. I'm gonna try out a few of the sneaky-bean recipes and see if I can trick myself into liking them. I recently made myself like coffee so maybe I can make myself like legumes?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I know, it sounds weird. I LOATHE beans. Just the smell of them makes me want to gag. I sort of like chickpeas (but won't go out of my way to eat them) and can stomach black beans. I'm a texture eater, so that has A LOT to do with it, but the taste grosses me out too. I know beans are super good for you, and I want to get them in my diet. Any suggestions on how do to this? Recipes? Etc?

Appreciated!

Buy some dried red or yellow lentils, they can be cooked from raw and are just as nutritious as beans. Chuck them in chilli con carne, soups, Bolognese sauce or curries and they cook down to nothing. Can also make lentil and mushroom pate or lentil and nut loaf - if you don't like vegan food you can find recipes with cheese or bacon!

I also like winter salads with some ingredients hot/ warmed through: canned green lentils, sauteed red onion, sliced sausage links or crispy bacon. Remaining ingredients cold/ raw: a pile of baby spinach, dried fruit such as sour cherries or cranberries, walnut pieces, crumbled goats cheese or crumbled blue cheese, dressed in balsamic vinegar.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I am happy to say, that I successfully ate black beans and...ENJOYED THEM :)
  • tattoogrrl28
    Options
    Am I the only one whose first thought was when reading about hating beans was Doctor Who? Yes..? Moving on :)

Chili is a great way to sneak beans in to your diet. Any soup really. Use a food processor and grind whatever beans (lentils are good as are kidney beans) into a paste and throw them into any soup broth. Vegetable soup with kidney bean paste thrown in there is delicious. Makes the soup taste basically the same as regular veggie soup but a bit thicker.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Here is the link for black bean brownies.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-brownies/
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I personally can't stand beans and have never ate them and don't feel the need to. Include vegetables and fruit and youll be fine. Remember it should be enjoyable to eat, not a chore
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    chick peas were my "gateway" bean. i was at a rehab retreat and they had them on the salad bar in the cafeteria. they're DELICIOUS on salad. i dump a full can into a strainer and rinse them til there's no more bubbles from whatever's in the water they're packed in and then mix them into a big bowl of mixed greens. good stuff!

btw... i'm a texture-specific eater too! but things that have too smooth/slimy of a texture get me the most. tomatoes/peppers/onions... BLECH
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I make rice and beans as well and it is super filling and really yummy! In mine I use diced garlic and green pepper and onion sauteed in a little olive oil. One of the best things about beans done this way is once they are cooked really tender you can grind em up in a mixer and make a black bean dip.

Also if you are ok with chick peas try baking some for a simple go to snack. Drain them well sprinkle with your favorite seasonings and bake them in the oven until toasty. Let cool and bag em up. :)