Shakes

Options
Ok, I am having one meal from tomorrow, the rest so breakfast, lunch are shakes.

If need be, snacking allowed, however no "meals" besides supper/dinner.

thoughts?

I know it works, I have also 15-18 tablets I am taking throughout day as supplementation. I still want thoughts though :)

Essentially high protein, low fat, low carb for 2 weeks, then normal one week, then cycle another 2 weeks etc.

Thoughts? I mean Essentially 98c a shake however it is high quality protein 5g carb and 1g fat.
Dinner is normal, anything as usual. So will vary between 600-1000c a meal. However am focusing on protein like mentioned, so will be less rice, less pasta, more meat, more fish etc for 2 weeks on, 1 off.

Replies

• kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could work... but why not just eat three healthy meals a day all the time? My concern is that once you reach your goals, unless you cycle 2 weeks on 1 week off forever, you might end up going back to unhealthy habits...

Make changes to your lifestyle if you want to make long term changes to your body!
  • joshkilborn
    joshkilborn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Personally, I see it unsustainable. You need complex carbs for energy and dietary fat for proper fat-soluble vitamin(A, D, E, and K) absorption. If you're set on doing it, I'd go no longer than a week.

Essentially, it sounds like an Atkins-type diet plan.
  • Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could work... but why not just eat three healthy meals a day all the time? My concern is that once you reach your goals, unless you cycle 2 weeks on 1 week off forever, you might end up going back to unhealthy habits...

Make changes to your lifestyle if you want to make long term changes to your body!

I agree with this. Why do anything to lose weight that you can't/won't do for the rest of your life to maintain?
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Agreed...lifestyle change that is sustainable is your best option. The shake plan might be a good kick starter...but maybe build up to eating 2 then three healthy meals a day. I know from experience that I just am going to want "real" food for most of my meals...and when I stopped doing shakes regularly, I often ate fewer calories in a day just because I was more satisfied. Occasionally I'll have a meal shake when I'm on the go or in a hurry. Good luck!!
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Essentially, I have lost 60lbs already. I am finding it hard these last 15-20.

I know how to maintain, the problem with me is that I am maintaining at 1590-2200 a day whilst training 5-7 days a week.

I need to lose the extra whilst being able to train moderately at the current moment.

My average calorie burn is 600c a session, not all logged on MFP. Making an average of 3000-4200c burnt a week. At my maintenance weight according to MFP I should be losing, I am not. I know when this problem occurred I switched to protein shake and fasting for a while and broke my plateau.

The problem I think most people don't realise with me is that being a 5 foot male, I don't really need extra calories, however it is very very hard to cut back on calories whilst eating normally. I can adjust! I know that. The problem is, I am training for a 56km and 87km run next year as well as a sub 3hr 110km cycle race, I need the weight off, I also need to maintain the quality of joints...

Also, first poster, the 3 meals rather doesn't work for me, I like food. when I eat my first meal, I get hungry fairly soon after. I noticed before on protein shake diet plan I didn't have that same issue, hence my plan to go this way :)

Second poster, it is not an Atkins diet, it is part PSMF type diet so protein sparing modified fasting. Very effective and needs to be done in short bouts as you are correct, it will be deficient in certain nutrients, hence my tablet regime :)

Third poster, I am not planning to maintain on this but cut down on this. In two months I have not lost anything significant, have been at a set point. For two months, cakes, beers, no carbs occasionally and still same weight? That is frustrating.

Fourth, I do agree with "real food" as that is part of what I love, however please realise.

I am disciplined, I can change. My whole entire life is based on experimentation and adaptation. To give an example, I used to smoke, then one day I decided I don't like how I feel, and just quit. No urges nothing, and to me, I do not understand the struggle people have. It was easy for me, I decided something, and it happened.

That is the same with my diet and training.

I need say constructive input as well. I know what I am doing will work, I know if I don't change then the weight drop will be temporary, I do know it lacks "real food" but I need know can it work, and if so, can it be done healthy?

Based on the fact I am running ultra marathons, I need to cut my weight drastically now and have till beginning january before I ramp up training again. Is this essentially the best way to cut down my weight.
    I am taking EFA powder with Glucosomine, Phedracut, CLA and Whey protein.

Of course the tablets include more than that, but those are the important aspects.