Artificial sweeteners

Options
I have a dilema here, I can not use artificial sweeteners. They give me headaches. Not sure if i am allergic to something that they are made with or what, but within minutes of having anything with it, I have a headache developing. This happens to me every time I eat anything that has it. Just so you know how frustrating this is, I am unable to eat anything that says LIGHT or NO SUGAR ADDED. I can't even use splenda, which i've heard is made from sugar. I can't chew gum, unless I want to worry about my teeth, LOL. But my question is, does anyone else have this problem, and if so. do you have any suggestions for me.

Replies

• wendyce
    wendyce Posts: 5
    Options
    I have a dilema here, I can not use artificial sweeteners. They give me headaches. Not sure if i am allergic to something that they are made with or what, but within minutes of having anything with it, I have a headache developing. This happens to me every time I eat anything that has it. Just so you know how frustrating this is, I am unable to eat anything that says LIGHT or NO SUGAR ADDED. I can't even use splenda, which i've heard is made from sugar. I can't chew gum, unless I want to worry about my teeth, LOL. But my question is, does anyone else have this problem, and if so. do you have any suggestions for me.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Hmm, is this with all sweetener? Or something else. You could go in for an allergy test. They can tell you if you are allergic to something in them. Other then that, you might have the rare condition that affects some people who consume equal and nutra sweet. But splenda and sweet n low wouldn't bother you if that were the case. Could be an intolerance for sugar alcohol too maybe. Dunno though, I would talk to your doctor about it. The best we can do on here is give our advice or opinions, a doctor can offer an actual diagnosis.

Good luck, let us know what you find!

:wink:
  • diegelmansm
    Options
    Try Stevia. It's a new kind of sweetner that's actually made out of a plant. You can find it at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and other health food stores. It is a little on the expensive side though.
  • wendyce
    wendyce Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Never really thought about talking to my doctor, just always lived with it. Then when trying to diet it is an obstacle I must deal with. But I will also see if I can find Stevia to try as well.
    Because at this point, I try to use fruit or a teaspoon of honey to sweeten things up a bit.
  • SoulfulLori
    Options
    Stevia has been used for a very long time but only now used in this country recently. It does have an aftertaste in some things and comes in liquid or crystal form. Not recommended for men that are trying to get someone pregnant though as too much of it can lower the sperm count.

You can also use fructose, still has calories but is less of a sugar rush to your body. That comes in crystal packets as well.

If start retraining your taste buds you won't need much sweetner anyway so give it some time.

Also, be thankful that your body doesn't like artificial sweetners. They are very unhealthy (Splenda is really chlorinated sugar) and not part of what your body needs. Yes, they are helpful when you are trying to change your lifestyle but they really aren't good for you. Also, studies show...I can provide articles if you want, that artificial sweetners screw up the brain a body a bit and confuse them and in the end you can gain weight from them by actually eating more and metobolic changes.

So thank your body for "keeping it real" and sort of learn to like things a little less sweet.

Also, if you use honey make sure you go to the health food store and buy raw unheated honey. Honey has many health benefits (used in small doses) but not the kind you buy at the regular market. That stuff is heated, filtered and made from bees that are fed HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. This kills any benefit honey may have.

Probably all of that was TMI! :laugh:

Hope that helps.
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    do the ones you use have aspartame? i cant have to much aspartame for the same reason i hear its a common problem and causes some people with a low tolerance to bloat

so instead i use alternatives or i use halfspoon (which is half sugar/ half sweetner )
    that way i consume less aspartame and as its sweeter i dont need to use more than half a spoon in tea or coffee
    but i am pretty sure splender is ok if u can get it?