what do i do...

NewBeginning2010
NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Im on some medicine that cuts my appetite......I had a real busy day yesterday and noticed that i was trying to eat 1000 calories at 8 at night ( although im up until 1 am) it was alot....

My calories are 1240 a day. If I didnt eat the 800 I would have been under by alot. What do others do in this situation?

You would think eating less would be better for weight loss but i know they say anything under 1200 is starvation......im stuck.....

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Banannas, Almonds, Apples, Frozen Grapes, and Low-Fat Cheese Sticks are my Go To Snacks most of the time. If you need/want protein try Peanut Butter, hard boiled eggs, or maybe some Turkey
  • NewBeginning2010
    so you are saying i should find something and eat those calories and not go under1200?
  • lisa1515
    lisa1515 Posts: 7 Member
    omg you are in starvation mode. eating really low isn't good. for 200 pounds you should be eating 1600, if not working out..1500. always remember you gotta work your way down as the weight drops.
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    I have been going to a nutrionist since I had my son and wanted to lose those lbs i put on from pregnancy. I went to her weighging in at 162 lb. i lost 7.6 lbs in 2 weeks and thought it was amazing. By month 2 I had lost over 22 lbs. Im on medication called Phentermine(not Phen Phen which is BAD for you) . Well, it makes you feel full all day, and I was eating under 800 calories a day and thats with forcing myself to eat. Well, i got off the pill for 3 months, and I gained 15 lbs back. My body was so used to eating seldom that when the suppresant wasnt there I ate like I used to when I was pregnant and packed on the lbs. However, I am back on the meds and I am following my nutrionists main rule..you have to eat even if you dont feel hungry!! My advice is, eat your 1200 a day and your body will eventually get used to the amount at each meal and your eating habits will be on schedule. That way, once you are off the meds, you will be able to maintain your current eating portions and stay on track :) good luck!
  • NewBeginning2010
    WELL 1240 IS WHAT MFP GAVE ME....ANYONE HAVE ANY INSIGHT? SCALE DID GREAT FIRST WEEK BUT I HAVE COUNTED RELIGIOUSLY AND IT WENT UP 2 POUNDS BEFORE MY SECOND WEIGH IN AND NOW IT WONT GO BACK DOWN :frown:
  • NewBeginning2010
    IM ON PHENTERMINE TOO. I STARTED MY CALORIE COUNTING ON THE 1ST AND MY MEDS ON THE 6TH...I DID GREAT THE FIRST WEEK AND NOW I DONT KNOW WHATS GOING ON....IM JUST GOING TO TRY AND STAY OFF THE SCALE UNTIL MY WEIGH IN ON FRIDAY
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    This may be difficult, but it sounds like you really need to push yourself and try to eat throughout the day so that you don't have to worry about eating 1000 calories late at night. If you eat meals and snacks (such as those LJCannon recommended) throughout the day, it will be much better for you than not eating anything most of the day then eating a bunch all at once at the end. I know you said your medicine makes you not as hungry, but hopefully if you're just eating small amounts throughout the day it won't be so hard.
  • If you are eating less than 1200 a day then that may be why the scale went up. When your body doesn't get the right nutrition, it holds onto whatever it can... then you don't lose weight.
  • meganwojo
    I love the pill I have no side effects except the dry mouth, which makes you CHUG water which is good haha and it really does work, its just very tricky getting used to an eating schedule for a few weeks. I dont eat big meals, I graze on 6 littles meals a day. Make sure your getting plenty of protein and fiber too. Thats the main thing with the pill. AND stay away from WHITE breads of any kind. My nutrionist told me eating 1 slice of white bread turns into 4 tablespoons of sugar once its digested. Another important thing to do is check all the wheat breads and cereals, granola bars etc that you eat. Make sure they all have at LEAST 2g fiber and 2g protein in each serving. another thing I do is take half the pill around 9 am with toast and orange juice. That way your making sure your eating, but still taking the pill. Dont take the pill before you eat, otherwise your not going to want to eat, hence your not eating at least 1200 cals. Then I take my second half around 2 pm with another little meal such as cereal. If you want to get all your calories in, eat peanut butter, its very good for you as far as fiber and protein with the nuts, but its taking up a 190 calories for 2 tablespoons. Let me know if you need any other help, I have an entire binder on all this stuff, I can tell you how much protein and fiber is in any food you want to know. :)
  • meganwojo
    ANND more importantly DO NOT weigh in EVERYDAY or even every other day!! Your body flucuates with every drink/meal you eat. Plus, water weight flucates daily, especially if you have your "time of the month". I weigh in every Monday or every other Monday. Dont become a scale nazi haha! Its just going to mentally screw with you and your going to doubt success. As long as your working out and eating all healthy, you are going to MAKE your goal, it just takes time. Rome wasn't built in a day :) I lost 3 lbs in 9 days, and I feel like ive lost nothing. What type of workouts do you do and how often??
This discussion has been closed.