Help Me Pack For My Trip!

Options
I'm going to New York City this weekend and for the first time, I am trying to NOT wait until the last minute to begin packing! But I am indecisive, so I need some help choosing my outfits.

I will be there Friday through Monday, so I need AT LEAST 4 outfits. Here is what I know for sure I will be doing while I am there:
I will be seeing Peter and the Starcatcher on Broadway
I will be taking a bus to Philadelphia to see 9/12 of the drag queens from RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars (including the love of my life, Miss Yara Sofia.)
I will probably see another show on Broadway, but I'm not sure which one (most likely either Newsies or Once.)

I don't know for sure what the weather will be like, BUT I am from Florida and have lived in Florida for my entire life, so "a little chilly" = COLD to me. So I am trying to plan accordingly to that as well.

Here are some outfits that I tried on and took photos of. Photos aren't that great because they're mirror pictures, but oh well.

IMG_0718.jpg
Sequin tunic with pleather-y-ish leggings and some sort of heel. Not loving the heels in that picture, though.

IMG_0719.jpg
Same pleather-y-ish leggings with my Ariel tank and leather jacket. I can't wear this without some sort of jacket because I would definitely be too cold and I don't like my arms so I try to keep them covered. I have lots of sweaters, but I like my leather jacket with this best. However, I can't wear this to the drag show because I wore this same exact outfit last night to see Alexis Mateo before I knew that I would be seeing her in Philadelphia and I don't want her to see me wearing the same outfit twice, because she sort of does know who I am!

IMG_0723.jpg
Very very tight very very short black dress (it's actually a long tank top but shhhh nobody needs to know that) over tights with a little shiny black sheer top and my wedges that I am obsessed with and wear more than any other shoes I own.

IMG_0724.jpg
Kitty cat print dress with or without tights depending on the weather and wedges.

IMG_0725.jpg
Tight black dress with "I (heart) the Lost Boys" top over it, knee-high socks, and boots. I am really leaning towards wearing this to see Peter and the Starcatcher, since the play is a prequel to Peter Pan and the lost boys play a pretty big part. Also, I don't think I want to wear heels to see Peter because I would really like to take another picture with Celia Keenan-Bolger and she is so tiny and the last time I met her, I was wearing heels and I looked like a monster in our picture together!

IMG_0726.jpg
Same black dress and same knee-high socks with my green cardigan and black flats.

My main concern is the weather because I really don't want to be cold, but the last time I went to New York in April, I thought I would be cold and it ended up being so lovely so I don't want to make myself too warm but I don't want to be too cold either! I have a number of light jackets and sweaters and the main one that looks good with almost all of these outfits is my leather jacket, but my best friend who is going with me has the same leather jacket and I planned some of her outfits with it (yes, I plan her outfits and do her makeup. She is my doll) so I don't want us to both be wearing the same jacket! So I need SOME outfits without that jacket!

Anyways.

Please tell me what you like, what you don't like, give me suggestions, mix and match the pieces I've shown you, compliment me on my flawless sense of style, whatever.

And if you're familiar with NYC fall weather, suggestions about that would be great too!

Replies

• small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    No idea about weather and appropriateness of various outfits for various things, but just thought I'd say your legs look great in the pleather in the second pic :smile:
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    You'l be doing a lot of walking so forget about heels unless you can handle them. Just bring lots of money, everything is expensive, especially the food.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    i love em all :D
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If you're going to a fancy place, pack some flats that are comfortable and use those to get to the location THEN slip on the heals. You'll want a decent size purse to put away the flats. I know that long walks in heels are horrible unless you're have a taxi drop you off everywhere and you don't plan on actually doing the walking. I'm not sure I like the cardigan and the knee highs...it's a bit odd. If you cinch it in and button it up and wear a belt that's wide...then I'd say it's ok...but not loose like that. I'd also look up the weather online. You want to be warm and not freezing. Night temperatures are different from daytime temperatures so you may need a warmer jacket of some sort.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I don't like the Aerial Shirt nor the kitty dress. I don't dress in Character shirts washing the car etc but not for going out. I liked the colorful shirt, Check out Ross. They had some cute fall like dresses would look great with the boots. I bought one this week and it was nice, It was grey and black. I personally don't like to wear boots in Florida too hot for me. I love open toed shoe. The dresses are nice fall like colors without being too hot to Florida as well. Also will look great fallish for up North. Yes you will freeze I complain when it is 70 and windy. I used to live in the Midwest now I am a Florida girl I would not he happy to wear a heavy winter coat.Have fun. I liked the boots.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I looked again black socks and black flats I would suggest a different color of shoes just blends in too much. My 11 year old is the fashion expert in my house and she suggested lose the shoes.
  • Thanks for the advice guys!

Also, about the heels -- trust me, I wear heels enough to know to bring flats to walk in when I have to go distances and I know which of my heels I can walk in better than others! Most of my heels are more for nighttime activities. When I'm out exploring during the day, I will most likely just wear my boots or some sort of flats. But I have worn my wedges all over NYC before so I know I can handle those.

I actually hate the flats that I have right now, but I can't afford another pair at the moment. Boo.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Well seriously I like the kitty dress you look cute.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    It's freezing here in NYC... and you are gonna freeze your *kitten* off in those outfits.
  • Freezing? The internet is telling me that while I'm there, during the day, it'll in the 60's or so. I can't remember the weather when I was there in April, but I don't think it was too much different and it was gorgeous. When I was there in January, it was very very cold and my outfits weren't too much different. Just a thick coat, really.

(Also, I have jackets, I just didn't use the jackets in the photos.)

Like, I am definitely worried about being cold, and some of the outfits (the ones without tights) might be too chilly, but if I have on tights and a jacket, that will make me okay unless it's like, snowing or something. Which it won't be.
  • randomtai
    Options
    You asked.. I am just telling like it is since I am living here. :)
  • But is it cold to the point that I will actually need to pack my thick winter coat? Should I pack scarves and hats and all of the things that are kept in the drawer that rarely gets opened because I live in a place where winter doesn't even exist? Or will light jackets and sweaters suffice? That's my main question. Because you're kind of making me think that I'm gonna have to stuff my winter coat into my suitcase.
  • randomtai
    Options
    It's cold enough for 2 jackets at night. During the day a leather jacket or so should be fine. Those outfits with skin will not be good for this weather, and the pants in all the outfits look thin and it has been very windy here lately.
  • ktillotson14
    Options
    I live in Florida but go to NYC every December to Christmas shop and I'm telling you...you're going to freeze. The outside temperature may read 65 degrees (which to us floridians is heaven bc of the sun) but remember you're in the city. Not only is it windy in certain parts but the sun is blocked out by buildings. Last year I was constantly taking my jacket off and putting it back on every 10 or so blocks.

Also- please avoid the knee socks when going to a fine dining restaurant (if that's on your itinerary)
  • My legs are used to freezing! During the colder months, I basically don't feel them at all. (I really hate real pants, so tights and leggings are all I use to cover them. But I will definitely bring multiple pairs of tights to double up if I need to!)

I'll probably mostly be inside at nighttime, seeing shows and stuff, so I'll just have to remember to bring an extra sweater to put on when I leave.
  • I have been in New York in every season except for fall, so I've been there in the winter, so I've felt the coldness of that. I can be a big baby when I'm cold, but I also know just how little I can wear to still be okay. People think I'm crazy because I refuse to wear pants, even when I'm in places where it's been snowing, but I just don't like to compromise my style for weather! I'm weird. But now I'm thinking that I might want to incorporate more long-sleeved things into my options.

And don't worry, I know how to dress appropriately for 'nicer' places. Even though I won't really be going any place too nice. I'm spending all of my money on shows, not fancy dinners!!
  • randomtai
    Options
    Hmm... you ask for opinions and you refute every opinion that tells you it's too cold for those outfits... Why ask in the first place? Makes no sense... :huh: :noway:
  • Hmm... you ask for opinions and you refute every opinion that tells you it's too cold for those outfits... Why ask in the first place? Makes no sense... :huh: :noway:

...But.... I just said I would double up on tights, bring an extra sweater, find more long-sleeved things....
    There's really not much more I can do without going out and buying new things.

tumblr_m4omq90Kdf1rosb88o1_r4_500.gif

I've ruled out the dress/socks combo because I know now that'll be too cold. The others, I still don't see a problem with as long as I wear a jacket.
  • ktillotson14
    Options
    Hmm... you ask for opinions and you refute every opinion that tells you it's too cold for those outfits... Why ask in the first place? Makes no sense... :huh: :noway:

MFP fashion show...duh!
  • randomtai
    Options

MFP fashion show...duh!

Oh yeah I totally forgot... duh me...Thinking people really want real opinions :laugh: