Vegetarian protein

Options
I'm a vegetarian,not getting enough protein(only reaching 15-20 out of 45), I need some ideas, I don't eat eggs. I do eat cheese but its very high calorie :O

Thanks.

Replies

• caristear
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian too and I love the Morning Star product! I use the crumbles with black bean and corn heated together on top of greens & veggies to make a great taco salad! Also the chicken strips are great on salads or in fajitas! They have a great line of products.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    love that idea. I'm not a complete veggie but pretty dang close.
  • cute_bachlret
    Options
    Try eating edamame beans. Just boil them up and dont add any salt like they do at the restaurants. They take a bit of getting used to cause they are a bit boring at first, but they have a good amount of protein in them.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm vegan so this has been a concern for me also. However it can be quite easy to get enough protein, and there are many different sources.

There are all the soy produces, from mock meat/patties/hot dogs etc. tofu and tofu produces, tempeh, TVP/TSP (textured vegetable/soy protein, which can be bought dried or hydrated), as well as the actually soy beans which can be eated both fresh, or dried/canned.Plus products such as soy yoghurt, soy milk (preferably calcium enriched) etc.

However, if you aren't a fan of soy there are other options.

Nuts and seeds are quite high in protein, however they also have a high fat content, however if you eat nuts as your fat for the day this boosts protein intake.

Legumes are a good source of protein and fibre, and can be very versatile, there is also a wide range of different types, canned, or dried avaialbe most places.

Some vegetables, such as corn, mushrooms, and most green leafy vegetables have protein in them as well as lots of other good things.

and there are also a number of grains quite high in protein, most things with whole grains add a bit extra protein to your diet, as well as the number of 'ancient' grains on the markets these days such as amarnath, quinoa, quorn, fenugrek etc. And these not only are high in protein, they also often contain complete amino acid profiles.

Hope some of that helps :)
  • AshBear
    AshBear Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm vegan so I definitely have experience with the whole veggie protein sources. I like beans and nuts mostly. Try making bean chilis, lentil soup, tofu stir frys, mushroom burgers, and bean burgers. Most veggies also have protein and so does wheat and other grains. Try different kind of nut butters too! I seem to go over on protein sometimes! Good luck!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    kidney beans, almost all types of nuts, whole wheat, chick peas, avocado
    just a few examples of non-meat protein.

BUT

most of these protein sources are not complete proteins and really don't help your body like you would think.

here is a website that begins the knowledge process.

Because protein sources can have ALL the essential amino acids or just part of them, you have to make sure you pair vegetarian protein sources to get all of them in order to build muscle and lean tissue.

NOTE, you need not pair all of your protein sources in the same meal, you can pair them over the course of a day or two to get the desired results, but you can't for example, eat grains all the time, and think, "ok they have protein, so I'm ok", you must mix and match different types, many beans are complete protein sources and are good. There are lots and lots of vegetarian resources out there on the web that can help with this. You need only do a web search on complete proteins.