I'm not allowed to exercise and i just want to eat

Options
hi there,

i'm fairly new to this so it's not quite become a habit yet.

I'm due to have an operation in a few weeks on my wrist which will leave me to not exercise for a few weeks and i'll be left home alone. although i wont be able to cook very much having only one hand in use but i'm unsure how to keep myself from eating all day long.

i may be able to go out for walks if the pain killers allow me but i don't want the risk of falling over (i'm quite good at it!) also doors are quite difficult with one arm in plaster.

does anyone have any tips on how i can distract my mind away from eating and maybe how i can keep active too?

also in a few months i have another operation so i'll be out of action with one arm and not being able to walk either. but at least then i wont be able to get into the cupboards.

any ideas and advice is greatly appreciated.

Emma
:o) xx

Replies

• kabailz13
    kabailz13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    do you have a gym membership?

You could do time on the bike or recumbent bike :)

walking as well is good - even if you go slower than normal so you can keep balanced more maybe?
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk! Stay with it and eat veggies if you need to snack. Also drink all your water during the day to help fight off hunger.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Before the surgery, get rid of all the junk in the house and stock up on lots of fruits, vegetables, low fat cheese, hummus, things like that. That way you will have less options to overeat.

Find a friend to help walk with you (especially if you are on painkillers). You might be able to do some strength training on your legs simply by sitting in a chair and raising your legs.

All is not lost. And when you feel like stuffing your face, come type here, even with one hand, and let us encourage you.

I hope your surgery goes well.
  • jaxterbom
    Options
    I also tend to eat more when I'm hurt or sick. Commit to being 100% complete about logging your food intake here in MFP, even when you know that you've binged and do not really want to list all that food on an uncontrolled day. This will help. If nothing else, it will enlighten you. People have suggested walking and recumbent bike: Excellent ideas. Good luck with the operation!

223140.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • megstar8686
    megstar8686 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    As everyone has suggested, rid your house of "bad" snack food. Prepare in advance some celery sticks and carrot sticks and things like this to munch on when you feel the urge. If you can walk at all, no matter how slowly, take short walks... even if it's just a couple of minutes up the road and back, a couple of times a day. Anything is better than nothing. If you live near a beach, maybe take a walk down there... the sand is much softer if you do happen to have a fall, and it will give your legs a bit of an extra workout!

In terms of keeping your mind off eating, maybe buy a few puzzle books? I find these help me when I'm on holidays (I often eat out of boredom), having something to concentrate on takes my mind off the desire to eat. I know it's not exercise.. but I read an article in a health magazine that said people who sit and do things like crosswords and sudoku are burning more calories than people sitting watching television. I think that's kinda cool.

Hope the surgery is successful, and you feel as little pain as possible! :flowerforyou:
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I was injured quite badly on November 29. I've been off work since then. At first my weight didn't go up because I was taking a lot of pain medication and sleeping all the time. But when I started to wean off the pain medication my weight started to rise yet again. So I got rid of the worst of the junk in the house, I started counting calories again, and drinking water like crazy. I have access to a fitness room in my building, so I go there and walk on the treadmill or the elliptical machine several times a week, but it was just last week that I was allowed to resume any kind of physical activity. Keep with the calorie counting, it'll help you stay on track until you can get active again.