Starting Out...Again

Options
Hi, I use to use MFP, but stopped because I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere and my dperession kicked in hard. But now I am back and really am determined to find a way to lose weight and get healthy. I am looking for new friends to add on here that are trying lose a lot of weight, and it isn't easy. I am currently 260lbs, BMI is at 42. Here is the kicker I am only 24. I have two AMAING kids (4 and 5). I am also currently in remission from HL (hodkgins lymphoma). I know part of me getting to this weight is deff my fault, but a lot of it too is bc of medical and medications. I am diagnosed with severe anxiaty and panic disorders also depression and PTSD and my meds cause me to gain weight. I have talked to my docter and a nutrionist about it and they said there isn't much that can be done b/c of the meds (hense the depression and wanting to give up on losing weight and getting healthy) but I refuse to accept defeat. I allowed myself to wallow in my misery and I realized b/c of that I didn't want anything to do with anyone including my husband and kids, I just wanted an escape. But I love my family too much to let that happen. So here I am again, starting at the bottom of my Mt. Everest, and could deff use some friends, help, advice to get to the top. So please feel free to add me.

Replies

• lilteddy78
    lilteddy78 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar disorder so I know all about the depression. I am currently on meds too. Just because they say they are side effects doesn't mean you have to let them be. :)

I started at 247 in January, I am down to 178lbs now. It takes a lot of will power and making sure you log every little thing you eat. Even if it was that one piece of candy or the couple of chips that looked good. It's going to be hard but you can do it!
  • 1_day_at_a_time
    Options
    Good for both of you!!!! I was diagnosed w/ bipolar 13 years ago, and the battle with meds, weight, and sanity is..well..insane!!! Anything can be done. It just takes time to find that right thing that works for you!! Good luck, and please don’t hesitate to email me if you need to talk!
  • 1_day_at_a_time
    Options
    Good for both of you!!!! I was diagnosed w/ bipolar 13 years ago, and the battle with meds, weight, and sanity is..well..insane!!! Anything can be done. It just takes time to find that right thing that works for you!! Good luck, and please don’t hesitate to email me if you need to talk!
    oh, and remember..be good to yourself :heart:
  • lilteddy78
    lilteddy78 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've known I've been bipolar since I was a kid. Back then the dr's wouldn't treat a kid until they were in their 20's at least that's what my mom told me. I had huge mood swings as far back as I can remember. It runs in my family for many generations. I started on meds when I was 25, we couldn't find the right combo and I finally went off so I could have my son. Then I went back to the dr when he was 2 and we worked on a few different meds. I finally am on a combo that is keeping me mostly stable. I think losing 70lbs has also helped me mentally. I'm always moving with lots of energy.

When I had my final med change in January is when I started losing weight. I think the meds started the weight loss and then in May is when I stepped up and started taking care of myself. :)
  • EricaJoyce13
    Options
    It's GREAT to hear I am not the only one dealing with medical/mental issues that we can't really control and have to have meds for, although I think mine have quite working...so I may be changing them....again....stupid kidney and buring throughmeds so flippin' quickly
  • yoshihenry
    yoshihenry Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm starting again too. I have steadily gained weight since having my children. I am at a place where I really, really want to lose this weight. I have a very stressful job that causes me to find comfort in grazing on junk after work. I don't have a support system to encourage me on this weight loss journey so I am looking here to find it. Maybe we can all support each other.:smile::smile:
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    First of all I say kudos to you for not allowing this to defeat you..and I am so happy to see that you are in remission. That is a tough disease to go through, and even more so with all of your other issues. A lot of research shows that regular exercise(if you are capable) helps with depression and PTSD. Many people with diseases and medications that hinder weight loss have had great success, and even come off of meds. There are a ton of success stories on here. You should search for them.

Now that you have made up your mind that this won't beat you, you need to start tracking and be diligent and honest. If you cheat when tracking..you are only cheating yourself. Considering the health issues that you do have, you will benefit greatly from healthier food choices such as fresh vegetables and fruits, and especailly lean proteins if you are allowed high protein intake..its hard to know without consulting your doctor. It would be a good idea for you to do that, and make sure that you can consume high protein and high fiber.

Ignore the scale my love, it will only discourage you. Instead start by just making healthier choices and healthier foods. Start measuring and weighing food so that you have appropriate portion sizes. Get more comfortable with exercise. Give it a few weeks, or even a couple of months before you step on the scale. Take your measurements now, then do it again in 4 weeks. I guarantee that if you cut down on portion sizes, reduce your calories, and start just walking for 30 minutes a day, it will change significantly.

I can't relate to your health issues but I can most definitely be support and motivation when you need it most. Even if you just need someone to talk to dear. Feel free to friend me. You got this honey!

Liz

mommyweighless.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/MommyWeighLess?ref=tn_tnmn#!/MommyWeighLess
  • totalhealth12
    totalhealth12 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you have rejoined MFP. I was on for about a year, and then 3 months ago I deleted my account thinking I could do it on my own. I ended up gaining the 8 or 10 lbs I had lost when on here, and I've been back on for 10 days now. It is the best decision I could have made. My advice is just to try to meet your calorie goal every day and go from there. If you don't have time to exercise much, try going for a walk here or there, anything to get you going. The endorphins should help you mentally, too. I totally understand all your health problems. I have suffered from social anxiety, but my sister is the one who really has health problems...fibromyalgia, anxiety, depression, migraines. I do all I can to be a support to her, so, like I said, I understand what you're going through. Just take 1 day at a time, and things will fall into place. Friend request coming your way. :smile: