Is 1600 calories "gonna make me fat"?

Options
2»

Replies

• the_fat_monkey
    Options
    If that's truly your TDEE, then you've got it right. Sounds like a healthy way to lose weight to me.

Thanks hun!
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    My BMR is about 1400 calories, and my TDEE is about 2100 so I thought 1600, a 500 calorie cut, on the days I exercise, would be good.

You seem to have a pretty rational and well-researched goal of 1600. Did you ask your sister what her rationale for her statement about 1600 calories being too high is?

She lives off 900 calories.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    1600 is a pretty good goal and you shouldn't be afraid of it. 1200 is tough and not my cup of tea:( Try playing around with your veges, fruits, carbs, and protien and make things fun! Good luck!

Thanks! :D
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE and take 20% off. If that is 1600, then do that. Work out, eat some of your exercise calories back and be patient. Don't listed to people that don't know crap. This is a lifestyle, not a diet. Eat better, work out and get to a weight you are happy with and then learn to maintain.

What he said! PERFECT!

I'll listen to him then ma'am!
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE and take 20% off. If that is 1600, then do that. Work out, eat some of your exercise calories back and be patient. Don't listed to people that don't know crap. This is a lifestyle, not a diet. Eat better, work out and get to a weight you are happy with and then learn to maintain.

Thank ya sir. That's what I did!
  • a_stone_girl_dances
    Options
    Any deficit at all will help you lose weight.

Right on.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    You might want to let her know, 900 cals is unhealthy for anyone, unless weighs less than 100lbs and doesn't exercise at all. In simple terms, your bmi is roughly 10xs your body weight. So, if you weighed 100lbs, your body would roughly use 1,000 cals just to stay alive.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    You might want to let her know, 900 cals is unhealthy for anyone, unless weighs less than 100lbs and doesn't exercise at all.

I tried but she didn't listen. Ans she's about 115 pounds. And she sits at her laptop aaaaaaall day.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options

Right on.

Again, you can make too large a deficit and I don't want to do that.
  • anial
    anial Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My older sister insists 1600 calories is too many to eat for weight loss. I'm trying to lose fat and drop 20 pounds but if I can't get down to 122 - 125 on the scale then *kitten* it. I'd rather weigh 150 pounds and be a fit size 2 then weigh 125 pounds and be an average and soft size 8 like I used to be.

I'm 5'3" and 18 years old and I weigh 145 pounds. My workout is weights for 35 minutes and 20 minutes of light pilates 3x a week and walking at 3.5 mph with 5 pound ankle weights for 45 - 60 minutes 5x a week.

My BMR is about 1400 calories, and my TDEE is about 2100 so I thought 1600, a 500 calorie cut, on the days I exercise, would be good.

Opinions?
    Yeah... In your case it's how much you work out, not swallow... If you' re wanna be fit :happy:
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'll be frank, I can't tell if your exercise regime is actually hard enough.

A good rule of thumb is that to burn calories, you have to be sweating, quite a lot. Just strapping weights onto your ankles seems like a good idea, bur may not really be doing anything. I bet you could do 10 x 50 yard sprints 3 times a week and burn off more than the walks get you. Save time too.
    Same with the weights, you don't specify how heavy, which leads me to think you don't have a goal, (other than the admirable one of looking good). Are you just swinging a couple of 5lb dumbells around for half an hour, or are you really breaking a sweat doing 60 x 65lb back squats in 10 min or something like that?

1600-1800 sounds doable for a lifetime, I get by with 2300 and drink a lot and eat loads of chocolate, so basically I'm not worth listening to, but I'm happy, thin(ish), and fit.
  • lovinmomma
    Options
    1600 will NOT make you fat!!!! how active are you? because i burn 2600 calories a day! i could eat that and not gain, so 1600 should lose a bit maybe not alot but thats where your work out comes in. i honestly think less than 1600 is no good
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'll be frank, I can't tell if your exercise regime is actually hard enough.

A good rule of thumb is that to burn calories, you have to be sweating, quite a lot. Just strapping weights onto your ankles seems like a good idea, bur may not really be doing anything. I bet you could do 10 x 50 yard sprints 3 times a week and burn off more than the walks get you. Save time too.
    Same with the weights, you don't specify how heavy, which leads me to think you don't have a goal, (other than the admirable one of looking good). Are you just swinging a couple of 5lb dumbells around for half an hour, or are you really breaking a sweat doing 60 x 65lb back squats in 10 min or something like that?

1600-1800 sounds doable for a lifetime, I get by with 2300 and drink a lot and eat loads of chocolate, so basically I'm not worth listening to, but I'm happy, thin(ish), and fit.

Not true about the sweating a lot needed to loose weight. I don't really sweat and I've lost all my weight just by walking.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options

Right on.

Again, you can make too large a deficit and I don't want to do that.

Then don't do that...
  • ameyer410
    Options
    From a mathematical/physiological standpoint, you'll lose about an average of 1 lb. per week (roughly - everyone is different, but calories in and calories out is truly the equation for weight loss). Sounds like you know what you're doing, and are very well balanced and aspire for long-term results, so keep up your motivation!
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Quit obsessing over the number on the scale. You aren't its slave. Focus on how weight-loss and healthy lifestyle make you feel.

I recommend you experiment what works for you. We are all different. Increase your calories, decrease them 2 weeks after (nothing crazy), etc. and find YOUR way. Good luck.