Avocado Recipes? Help!

Options
I've never (ever) tried avocado before, so I bought one to try, and now it's ripe and i have no clue what to do with it! I'm one of those people who've always eaten the same foods throughout their life so massive food changes for me are full of anxiety. Please help?!

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had guacomole? Do you like it? There's a lot of good homemade guac recipes online, and it's pretty easy to make.
  • shutterbug21
    shutterbug21 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love it so much, I try and make it last a little longer so I make a type of dip/spread. I mash it, add a 1/4 cup salsa, 1 tbsp lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Mix that up and I am more than happy to eat it with a spoon, or on a plain Rice Cake or with veggie straws if I have the calories available. SO GOOD. Really it's good on it's own and calories go a long way, especially if you're willing to try new things! Good luck :) I hope you love it.
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    avocado + spoon = heaven :)
  • Nanakatan
    Nanakatan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mash it, add some salt, spread on bread. My favorite way of eating avocados :)
  • icandoanything2
    icandoanything2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    avocados on everything! guacamole, sliced on a veggie burger (or any burger if you'd like), in salads...
  • Hellavaloosa
    Options
    On toast with poached eggs and spinach = total yumness. Or as bread spread / salad side. Avocados rock, enjoy :smile:

Some people cook 'em on their pizzas but personally I don't think they cook well at all so I wouldn't recommend trying that!
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    1. Spread toast with cream cheese
    2. Mash up avocado (To cut an avocado, the easiest way is length-wise around the avocado, then twist to separate the two halves. Remove the pit by spearing it with a knife or digging out with a spoon. Then spoon out the avocado)
    3. Spread avocado chunks onto toast.
    4. Add a squeeze of lemon and cracked black pepper
    5. Add tomato slices

Enjoy!
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    thank you all, some good ideas there :)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Get a spoon and dig in!!!
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

^---- THIS!
  • 1_day_at_a_time
    Options

^---- THIS!
    agreeee!!
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    agreed = )
  • crackdmirror
    crackdmirror Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh, boy, do I have ideas. Avocados are probably my favorite single food item. Ever.

Dice or mash it up with:
    --cottage cheese and cracked black pepper
    --mango, black beans, and jalapeno peppers (add a bit of salt and lime juice)
    --kimchi
    --cucumber, grilled shrimp, and crushed pistachios
    --flaked salmon and wasabi powder

Grilled avocado is amazing. It caramelizes really well! Great in tacos--corn tortilla, grilled avocado, shredded cabbage, and lime juice (cilantro, too, if you like it!).

Put it in smoothies....pineapple goes really well with it.

Make chocolate pudding with it (yes, this is real): Blend 2 avocados with 1/4 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, a pinch of sea salt, and 2 tablespoons of agave nectar (or coconut nectar, or honey, or maple syrup--add more if you like it sweeter). Voila! (I promise, it is absolutely amazing).

Massaged kale salad (an example is on my blog here: http://www.antichefblog.com/cool-ranch-massaged-kale-salad)

Avocado soup (so many versions, just google it)

Or, of course my favorite, grab a spoon and just dig in. ;)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half - take out the pip - salt and pepper - eat just like that - perfection!!

You can add it in cubes to salad.....but just on its own is best :-)
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    My favorite avocado recipe is:

RAW CARROT GINGER SOUP
    3 cups Carrot Juice
    1 ripe Avocado
    2 Tbsp. Agave Nectar
    1 Tbsp. Ginger, minced
    1/4 tsp. ground Cayenne Pepper
    1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
    1/2 cup Coconut Meat, optional
    2 Tbsp. Avocado or Olive Oil, for garnish
    2 Tbsp. Fresh Cilantro, chopped, for garnish

Puree the first seven ingredients in a blender until completely smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary. Garnish the soup with a drizzle of oil and the chopped cilantro. Makes two 1-1/2 cup servings
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    mash it with some garlick, lemon and salt then use as a pasta sauce- it is SO good! really creamy without the dairy. It is complete healthy comfort food at its best :)
  • valerieknox
    valerieknox Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think avocado works really really well with shrimps or salmon, so just make a salad with either of them, cherry tomatoes, rocket salad, maybe some bulgur or quinoa. And lots of lime juice. Nom nom. Also really good to eat with a spoon with some sourcream, red onion and black caviar (and some dill, why not). Aw, I love avocado..