Compression sleeves?

Options
I just got me some compression sleeves for my calves, been having some serious shin and calf pain from running. The package (Adidas) doesn't say how long or when to wear them. Do I wear them all day? When I run or workout? When I first put them on yesterday, I felt a difference almost right away, but then later on my calves started hurting as usual and they do again this morning despite the sleeves. I'm bummed and really hoping they start to get better the longer I wear them. If I am wearing them properly.

Replies

• alanjwood
    alanjwood Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wore them when I started running, usually just for a couple of hours after the run after icing up the calves. Made a big difference. Although I'm not using them now, the muscles seem to have gotten used to the exercise!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It depends. I know some people wear them all the time, except while sleeping. Others will wear them at designated times, running included.

My suggestion: find out WHY your legs are hurting. Compression sleeves offer relief, but there is a reason for the pain!
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I wear them during my long runs and then I wear a pair of compression socks (knee highs) for a couple hours afterwards. They help alot but they aren't magical - so I am usually still left with some soreness - its just a lot less than it would have been without the sleeves/socks combo. Massages, ice baths, epsom baths, foam rolling also help me imensely. I usually do a combo.

I use Zensah sleeves and CW-X socks. CEP is also a good brand. They specialize in compression gear and might have better compression products than Adidas. (I've never compared though - so this is 100% speculation)
  • tressatnt
    Options
    I think they hurt because I went out and did too much too soon after pregnancy. I wanted so bad to get back to running 5+ miles that I went too fast. I can "easily" run 7+ miles now but not without a lot of pain. I have the lungs for it, but not the legs right now. And I'm signed up for a 15k on the 27th. I just took a week rest from running, but did other exercises that I guess still aggravated my calves so now I'm trying the compression sleeves. I had planned on starting to run again tomorrow since I have a boot camp class tonight.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I always just wore mine while running. Used them for soccer for a season or two, seemed to help slightly.
  • Quibeful
    Quibeful Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You kinda have to start over again. it is estimated that for every week you are not running it takes two weels to gain that ground back. Make sure that you warm up properly and strech your calves and hamstrings out really good. You will notice a great difference. I wear compression during my runs sometimes, the compression helps the muscles fire off better. but sometimes I sleep in them, it I wouldn't wear them longer than 3-4 hours at a time. As well, massage your legs with some warm oil after your shower or bath. All in all, just give your legs a little extra love and care during the building up stage so they can keep up with you!
    Have fun and good luck!
  • michelelash
    michelelash Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Compression works by helping increase the blood pressure of the veins which are pushing blood back against gravity to the heart. When you're running, the body is pumping blood through your body roughly 20 times per minute. It doesn't need any help at that point. Whether or not the muscles "need support" during excerise like the manufacturers suggest , I'm not sure, I haven't researched any studies on that yet. Personally, I don't believe it, but I have no evidence. If it helps it feel better while running, then use them. If not, don't bother.

It WILL help circulation afterwards when the blood is working to remove waste products and heal muscle damage, especially if you're standing or sitting all day.

Ultimately, you need to work on leg strength. Strength training for runners is tremendously important. Also try using a massager called "the stick", that helps a lot! And don't forget to stretch both your gastroc & soleus (youtube has videos on that).

I have ongoing issues with my calves, too. I only wear my compression after I run and it feels awesome, but you also should work on the stretching & massage in the short term.