Looking for Healthier Morning Drinks PLEASE READ.

Options
So here's the scoop. I'm in my first year of college with a 8am class every day and as the weather gets colder the harder it is for me to get out of bed. We have a Starbucks on campus and I have read a few articles online about how to make their drinks have low or even no sugars in them, but every time I go into the restaurant and order the cashier has no idea what I'm talking about. It's SO FRUSTRATING.

So I thought that by saving money and sugar calories I could make my own drinks before class. I'm not a huge coffee drinker. I love frappes, chai tea lattes, any type of fruit drinks. I am just looking for some healthy warm drinks I can make in the morning on my own that are low on sugars.

If you have a favorite healthy hot morning drink recipe you think would work for me, PLEASE SHARE. I live in the dorm and my roommate and I have a coffee pot and a microwave so I have access to warm water either way. I just need some help to make it through the rest of the mornings this semester LOL.

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    someone mentioned adding whey protein to a pumpkin pie spiced latte.
    something about the whey amping the affect of caffeine. Adding nutmeg and pumpkin pie spices to your grinds helps out a lot.
    **I know you asked for 'favorite' and what have you, but I thought this info would be helpful.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Perhaps look into some green/white/herbal teas? They tend to be mild enough in flavour that you can drink them without adding anything. Herbal teas come in a variety of fruity flavours that tend to be sweeter than just green/white.

My favorite morning drink other than hot black coffee is Cinnamon Chai Rooibos tea, it's easy to drink on it's own. But if you're looking for a caffeine fix in the morning, the green/white teas will be a better option and you can usually get those in various flavours from a tea store.
  • joytron
    joytron Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    How about just chai tea on its own? It's pretty much zero calorie that way. Or you could add soy milk or almond milk.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat & have been experimenting recently with morning drinks to answer my need for caffeine in the a.m. without drinking "diet" sodas. i'm not a coffee fan either but found last week that blending a container of chocolate muscle milk (light - 100 calories) in the blender with a mocha cappuccino mix (i use the Folger's brand - 2 tbsp. = 80 calories), approx. 4 oz of water plus some ice was wonderful & the total calorie count was only 180 calories! If you aren't a fan of muscle milk, you could try a cappuccino mix of your flavor choice with water & some yogurt - it's amazing how the different flavors of yogurt can make a difference in how it tastes & therefore keeps it from getting boring :-)

i'll be honest & say that i haven't tried to heat this up (b/c it's still quite warm in Florida right now), but am hopeful for cooler weather in the near future. i would expect that putting it in the microwave for a minute or two would work to heat it up.