Safe running in the dark

Options
2»

Replies

• wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The pocketknife won't do you much good. I'd invest time in a martial arts program AND bring a friend with you. At the least, a dog.

Let a close friend or family member know what you're doing, where, and at what time. Aka, I"ll be in the East end of the park from 6 AM to 7. If you don't get a text from me before 8, here's what to do. Etc.
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Road ID bracelet (http://www.roadid.com) because if something DID happen while I was out running, at least helping hands will know who I am and who to contact (and that I have no known allergies!). :) I like that it is also reflective. One more piece of brightness on the road will never hurt.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Question for those of you who carry cell phones on your run.., Where do you carry it?

Most of my running skirts/tights have the little pocket in the back waistband, but I don't think it's big enough for my iPhone. Also, I worry that the sweat might ruin it if I keep it close to my skin, but also don't want it banging around with each stride... Help!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go for your Option 1) if running alone so that you can knock on a door or turn into someone's front door way as if you are returning home if you feel you are being followed.

I would definitely leave the pocket knife at home because 1) if you are being attacked you will forget you have it or have to be prepared to use it or 2) you will try to use it and have it used on you by the attacker. Better option is to carry an attack alarm which in the early hours of the morning would bring someone's attention.

Better still, Option 3) get someone else to run with you and go running in 1) or 2).

It's not just women who are vulnerable when out alone. Men are just as open to attack.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Whatever you choose, don't forget your phone, and ditch the knife, most likely it will be used against you.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Pocket knife will do nothing for you. Just saying.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I run with this guy that's 6'2" and over 200 pounds. O wait, that's me. :smile:

A headlamp will be much better than a pocket knife. I've been taken out once already on a morning run and it was from a big crack in the asphalt, not a mugger. Pocket knives don't work well against as a defense against the pavement.
  • r_keller
    Options
    This is usually my MO for running when it's dark (and now that it's dark till 7am and gets dark at 6 I have no choice):

1. Wear reflective clothing and headlamp.
    2. I make sure that someone knows my route and where I'll be
    3. I use a endomondo app so it maps my run
    4. I carry a personal alarm and pepperspray
    5. I try to be aware of my surroundings and don't make my times/routes too predictable.
    6. I try and not use headphones but sometimes music is the only thing that gets me through, so I'm guilty of this.
    7. I've taken self defense (krav magna) although the first thing you learn is that you can be overpowered if you aren't aware of your surroundings, so me being guilty of #6 negates this training to a point.
    8. Take a dog with you if you have one.

I use the Flashlight app on my phone! Works really well.

I've got that app too, can't believe that didn't occur to me :tongue:
  • sunrisefitness
    Options
    Good advice from others. I use a headlamp, a pack around my waist that carries a few small water bottles, my phone, and pepper spray. I carry with me a small flashlight that has a whistle on one end (you can find them easily now with trick or treating coming up). It has 3 modes; flashlight only, glowstick, or flashing glowstick.
  • hemigirl1
    hemigirl1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Due to my schedule the only time I am able to walk is late at night by the time I am done everything else that has to be done once the kids are in bed. We live in a pretty small town but full of university students so our route is the main road for the night walks, my boyfriend knows the route and the time it takes me to walk it. If I am more than 10 minutes late without calling he will try calling and with no answer he comes out looking. I am guilty of using my headphones as well because I need motivation at that time at night to get out and do something. I also take at least 2 of our dogs with me while walking and most people tend to keep their distance, it also makes me fell less nervous about the headphones as they don't let anyone sneak up on us. :smile: