I binged :(

Options
2»

Replies

• Keltinator
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I just wanted to get it off my chest, I didn't think so many people would read it!

Thanks to everyone who responded :') It means a lot.

I've logged it all, looked at old pictures of me to remind me of how far I've come, and moved on.

Once again thanks everybody!! :flowerforyou:
  • chardi7
    chardi7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's all right. I did yesterday too. At work I ate a chili dog and then when they bought us pizza I ate 4 bloody pieces, not to mention two candy bars and popcorn when I got home. It was bad, and I really felt terrible. I didn't even log it all.

But that was yesterday. That was then. This is today, this is now, and I can undo the damage. So can you. Do an extra workout, take an extra long walk, cut one item out of your meal today. That's what I am doing.

It does happen. It will happen. The key is not to let it happen EVERY DAY... and when it does happen, let it motivate you to try harder, not to give up. Don't give up!

I am very similar to you...when I binge I tend not to log it...because if I dont log it...it never happened...haha
  • gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Think about it this way.. Before you probably would of eaten that and not batted an eye.. This time you ate it and felt sick.. It's a good reminder on how far you've come..
  • joshpass
    joshpass Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    People, you have go to stop feeling so bad about binging. Although, I know how you feel as I used to feel that way. I wrote an article about it. Not trying to spam but trying to help people as I've been through it all. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions: http://goo.gl/o1Pak
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    You probably wont be doing that again in a hurry.

Any way, my binges have been far worse than that and I learnt something about myself every time I had one. Just remember it was just one day, and one day should not ruin your diet. I know this sounds corny, but its a marathon rather than a sprint.
  • momof4greatkids1
    momof4greatkids1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It is a speed bump. You logged it, you owned it, you learned from it! Please stop being disgusted with yourself. Treat yourself like you would a good friend who made a mistake. You surely would encourage your friend, and then help them to move on and get over it. Holding on to the negative feeling can perpetuate more unhealthy behaviors. Love yourself the way you would a dear friend, forgive and forget. Lesson learned.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Changing behaviour like that can take a lot of time. The important thing is that you know you don't want to feel like that again, and you're back on track today. Try and plan ahead in case there is a "next time". Try and look into some strategies that you could use when you feel the urge to binge so that you don't actually do it. If you're not familiar with them already, check out mindful eating, "urge surfing" and "distress tolerance". They are some things that have helped me.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I had nachos and mcdonalds yesterday -.- So not worth it.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Also, DO NOT go to the grocery store while you're even remotely hungry. (If you can) go during the day when you normally have the most self control (for me it's mornings because im so focused).

Try and steer clear of even tempting aisles, and once you grab that pack of cookies look at the calorie count and equate how much exercise you'd have to do to eat just a couple of those.

It's so much easier to binge when you have those tempting foods around you. GET RID OF THEM, or at least out of sight or pass them onto children or friends :smile:

So next time when you're tempted to binge you'll have only healthy things to eat.

No one is perfect though! I am a binge eater too. I'll down an entire box of special k crackers or popcorn in a day and not realize i did it. Or like someone else on here mentioned, a week before my TOM i'm constantly "starving" and on day 2 i'm regretting everything I ate.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Forgive and move on. You have more important things to focus on-- moving toward your goals :smile:
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight, I knew that if I kept cookies in the house, I would eat all of them. So I kept my pantry free of "trigger foods" until I was in a better place to moderate myself. It made me so much more SANE because I wasn't resisting temptation all the time. Most people here will say "don't deny yourself! Just learn how to moderate!" but it's just not that easy for some of us who binge.

Now that's an interesting point - because I'm in the "don't deny yourself" camp, but I don't think of not keeping things I like in the house so I won't binge as denying myself, I think of it as good strategy. If I want a cookie, I go to the bakery and get one great cookie, rather than keeping them in the house when I know I won't stop at one (and it won't even be as good). And a lot of times by the time I can get to the bakery (or wherever) the craving has passed. :-) I don't know that the "don't deny yourself" camp are advocating for keeping all things on hand at all times. At least that's not what I mean when I think of it.

As for the OP - don't beat yourself up about it. As many have said, it happens. Just learn from it and move forward.
  • StarRiot
    StarRiot Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did this yesterday and I feel horrible. I only logged dinner and maybe MyFitnessPal recognized what I did and suggested this thread? :( it was so bad. Today is a new day and I'm going to eat extremely healthy today. I will go running later tonight also and be very strict this week to offset what I ate yesterday. It will be fine.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it means you're lacking a nutrient and that's why you're craving certain foods that used to be the way you got it in your old lifestyle. There may be something in these articles that can help decide on better junk food/cheat day management. http://www.livestrong.com/food-cravings/