SHOULD I EAT B4 A WORKOUT?

Hello MFP friends. I am beginning my workout this morning and I was wondering if I should eat something before a workout? If so, any suggestions as to what? If I shouldn't be eating anything, then any suggestions as to what I should be eating after my workout?

Also, I reside in Medford, MA...anyone live near and would like to become a workout partner/Online motivational partner?

K~

Replies

• kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    There's nothing wrong with working out in a fasted state in the morning. If you're doing strength training, you might want to get a BCAA shake to get a little bit of fast absorbing protein to prevent muscle breakdown.

Try to eat within 2 hours after your workout. A lean protein source + a bit of carbs is usually best. Exercise temporarily improves your muscle's ability to utilize carbohydrates, so getting them in after your workout is the best time.
  • trackstack
    trackstack Posts: 174 Member
    For me- Cardio=fasted state.
    Lift= small protein meal
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    If you feel okay working out while fasted in the morning, I'd say you're fine.

If you have no energy or feel crappy, try adding a small meal beforehand. It's really up to you.
  • Rudeboy614
    Rudeboy614 Posts: 11 Member
    If nothing, you need to hydrate!
  • kxdesigns
    kxdesigns Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you ALL for your replies. I just had a hard boiled egg, a few wheat crackers w/a little bit of peanut butter. A bottle of water and a small piece of apple pie--Sorry, couldn't resist it...it was calling my name. Just wanted to be honest.

I downloaded Cough 2 5k app on my phone and I'm going to stretch now and get ready to walk/jog for about 30 minutes. This is my first time taking my health THIS seriously, so any suggestions please don't hesitate to let me know. I need the motivation.

BLess,
    K~
  • like others have said..it depends on how you feel and what you want to do.

Many can work out with an empty stomach. I don't like to do that. I feel like I need the food (energy) to help me have enough stamina to work out. With that being said, i like to eat protein before a work out...eggs are big with me. I don't eat carbs (from bread or pasta)..they only slow me down and make me want to take a nap. Banana or apple also helps me get through an hour workout. But, I eat one or the other...2 eggs, or an apple, or a banana...not all. lol

When I eat nothing..I get tired and lazy only 30 minutes into my workout.