Breakfast vs IF (intermittent fasting)

Options
Was curious what everyones take was on eating in the morning vs IF.

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    you can eat breakfast and practice IF, so I'm not really sure what you are getting at
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You can't lose fat without IF.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I think he means the IF described in something like RippedBody.jp - where you have an 8-9 hour feed window during the day.

I'm toying aroud with the idea of doing this, but am a bit concerned I'll be starving (I run a few mornings a week, and my appetite is ALWAYS super high for the next 4 hours) a few mornings a week. Plus I train most nights, so my windows would need to be flexible on a day to day basis.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of individual preference.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You can't lose fat without IF.

05d.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Was curious what everyones take was on eating in the morning vs IF.
    Whatevah works for you, sweet cheeks. :-)
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you can't eat breakfast while IF. There are many different ways to IF.

I personally need to eat in the mornings or I get light-headed. I IF three times a week from 2-3pm until the next morning. I tried fasting from night to the next afternoon and missing breakfast was too much for me to handle.

That's just the way I do it. It helped me to break out of a 2-month plateau.
  • SeeStephRunBlog
    Options
    I can't at all see how this would be beneficial. If you are exercising, you need the calories and nutrition necessary to power your body through. I've seen far more studies that show small meals every couple of hours is far more effective than fasting. By fasting, you aren't doing anything at all to keep your metabolism running at a high level.
  • amenok
    amenok Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to see everyone's opinion. I used to believe eating breakfast and then working out about a 1/2 hour later, but i noticed i was not burning any fat/going very slow.

Now that i have been trying IF in the morning(til i exercise) instead of breakfast before exercise(especially with having carbs involved). i noticed i'm burning fats/losing weight a lot faster.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I can't at all see how this would be beneficial. If you are exercising, you need the calories and nutrition necessary to power your body through. I've seen far more studies that show small meals every couple of hours is far more effective than fasting. By fasting, you aren't doing anything at all to keep your metabolism running at a high level.

Waah wahh wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

My metabolism is like Usain Bolt, and I dont eat til around 11 am every day, wakes up @ 6 and works out.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options

You're right about the small frequent meals. However, there are many health benefits to gain from IF. There are specific reasons to practice it and it doesn't harm your metabolism. It actually helps your body stabilize your blood sugar, among other great things. If you're uncertain about it do some research. There are many ways people practice fasting.
  • peuglow
    Options
    You should so some more research on the myths that small meals 'increase your metabolism'
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

I eat firewood to keep my metabolic fire stoked
  • SeeStephRunBlog
    Options
    I suppose it's one of those things where no one will agree on the right course. I've worked with nutritionists, doctors and PTs- all of whom have told me to avoid any sort of fasting regimen and instead pursue small meals. For me, small, balanced meals and frequent workouts have helped me lose most of the weight I set out to lose, while still being able to tone the way I wanted to. I really cannot imagine fasting helping me at all. Maybe it works for others.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options

Eating small meals every couple of hours is what made me gain weight in the first place
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but you only get it's full effects if you also eat second breakfast and elevensies. Then you fast until high tea, then eat the last of your calories at 7pm sharp!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You're right about the small frequent meals.

No, she's not.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

When fasting you still get your allotted calories for the week, you still fuel your body. Fasting has many benefits. Recent studies have shown that meal timing/frequency have no effect on metabolism. In fact, I just read a study over the weekend (I wish I had saved the link) showing that eating 6+ meals a day had no effect on metabolism but eating 3 times a day actually slightly raised metabolism. The only benefit for some to eat several times is to keep from being hungry and over indulging. For me, eating several times a day backfires, I am more hungry and feel like I'm obsessing about food ALL. DAY. LONG. Since switching to IF (I do a 16:8 fast, 16 hours fasting, 8 to eat) I feel tons better, I sleep better, have more energy and don't feel hungry, making it easier to stay with in my allowances. It comes down to everyone has to do what works for them but don't form an opinionn about anything until you understand how it works.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Eating small meals every couple of hours is what made me gain weight in the first place

Really because it helped me lose weight, you must have done it wrong!
  • peuglow
    Options
    I suppose it's one of those things where no one will agree on the right course. I've worked with nutritionists, doctors and PTs- all of whom have told me to avoid any sort of fasting regimen and instead pursue small meals. For me, small, balanced meals and frequent workouts have helped me lose most of the weight I set out to lose, while still being able to tone the way I wanted to. I really cannot imagine fasting helping me at all. Maybe it works for others.
    The IF we're talking about isn't for a day or two. You're still eating every day, just doing it all in an 8-10 hr window.