Acai berries yes or no?

Options
Went into Holland and Barratt today to pick up some free from bits and pieces and decided to get some acai berry tablets. Now, i've done lots of reading on it and the pros and cons etc because as we all know atm its a 'fad diet'.I spoke to the women and explained to her that because of my very limited diet due to medical reasons i don't get enough fruit and veg, basically i'm on a wheat/egg/dairy free diet due to an intollerance, i also can't tollerate citrus fruits, seeded fruit or some veg because of severe IBS. So i miss out on an awful lot of minerals and anti oxidants. I take a multi vitamin for most stuff but in some areas i'm badly lacking so she suggested acai berries. Which for me is a bit of commitment as i already take 8+ tablets a day already just in prescribed meds! So my question is do i take them? I wouldn't be taking them in relation to weight loss JUST in relation to getting anti oxidants that i don't get from my diet. If i lost weight as well then bonus. Any ideas on this would be helpful, or any other things i could do before i take them as i will be starting it next week most likely.

THIS IS PURELY ASKING ABOUT ANTI OXIDANT PROPERTIES! Please don't go on about the weight loss side im not interested and im aware there is no wonder tablet to weight loss, these comments arent needed

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    no
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you were to take them and I don't see any good reason to do so, why would you have to take them for life? Are they making you sign a life term contract in order to purchase them? You should probably work with a nutritionist to figure out a healthy diet for you.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Anything for a sale....remember that phrase.

Acai does nothing for weight loss. Acai is an anti-oxidant. "But so far, acai berries have no known health benefit that’s any different than that of other similar fruits" (http://www.webmd.com/diet/acai-berries-and-acai-berry-juice-what-are-the-health-benefits)

As an anti-oxidant, the greatest benefit is battling free radicals in your body.

THERE ARE NO MAGIC BULLETS TO WEIGHT LOSS
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Anything for a sale....remember that phrase.

Acai does nothing for weight loss. Acai is an anti-oxidant. "But so far, acai berries have no known health benefit that’s any different than that of other similar fruits" (http://www.webmd.com/diet/acai-berries-and-acai-berry-juice-what-are-the-health-benefits)

As an anti-oxidant, the greatest benefit is battling free radicals in your body.

THERE ARE NO MAGIC BULLETS TO WEIGHT LOSS

As i already said i wouldnt be taking them for WEIGHT LOSS id be taking them because i cant eat fruit.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    Options
    If you were to take them and I don't see any good reason to do so, why would you have to take them for life? Are they making you sign a life term contract in order to purchase them? You should probably work with a nutritionist to figure out a healthy diet for you.

I already see a dietician and the diet ive been put on has basically no fruit or veg apart from red onion, peppers and mushrooms. And bananas when i can get them. Im asking purely for the ANTI OXIDANT properties, i dont care about the weight loss side
  • PartyMcLovin
    Options
    I bought them and took them for quite a while after hearing all the hoohaa, I didn't notice ANY difference good or bad while I took it.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Crystal,
    I talked to my doctor abt.this,she told me to avoid this due to insulin resistence,the extracts from friut can cause same high spike in insulin.She told me to continue eating healthy,add in some lower sugar content fruits at times and to take a good multi-vitamin.Good luck dear!:)
  • crystalbluewolf13
    Options
    Crystal,
    I talked to my doctor abt.this,she told me to avoid this due to insulin resistence,the extracts from friut can cause same high spike in insulin.She told me to continue eating healthy,add in some lower sugar content fruits at times and to take a good multi-vitamin.Good luck dear!:)

thankies hun, thats the most helpful comment so far =) luckily they were cheap so doesnt matter if they dont get used lol