Self Image

Options
As I posted on another thread, this past weekend I had a couple NSV(s). One being, purchasing a large sweater. I went from wearing XXL to L and it was an insane feeling. What I didn't expect was how hard it was to feel comfortable in smaller size cloths. I think I am so used to hiding in baggy cloths. My wife said that I looked bad in the larger cloths but I felt comfortable in them. When trying the smaller sizes I felt exposed and uncomfortable. She was honest and said that I looked great in them but it was so hard to get over it. I did not expect this at all. Has anyone else experienced this?

Jamie

Replies

• PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Listen to your wife!!! I still would like to lose another 20# but feel GREAT where I am. I work out alot and feel strong and confident..however sometimes I still feel like I look fat. I have maintained this weight for a year..still getting compliments. I have gotten rid of ALL of my fat clothes..there is no turning back. The bigger clothes do make you look heavy. What is helping me is seeing pictures of myself. Give that a try. Go get some clothes that fit you and keep up the GOOD WORK!!!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It does take time to get used to clothes fitting us rather than covering us :wink: Great job on your loss!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    It's taking forever to get used to the feeling of jeans on my thighs. I always wore huge baggy pants. I know the better fitting pants look better, but it feels like my legs and waist are constantly being strangled!
  • scheatwood
    scheatwood Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes. I liked my larger clothes because they're comfortable but I dislike how loose they've become. Some smaller sizes are still tight but I wear them anyways knowing they'll be lose soon. I just simply got rid of the larger clothes to prevent me from ending my fitness goal.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Yep, been there!!!!!!!!!! I can now wear medium shirts and I never have been able to in my entire life (I will still wear larges to not feel exposed) and i still can't believe that my size 15 pair of jeans are getting too big on me either (which i haven't that size since middle or high school). I have gotten rid of my size 20-24's because i will never wear them again, but most days i still lounge around in the bigger clothes....maybe i'm just weird and haven't gotten used to the smaller me yet either.
  • IzzyBmydog
    IzzyBmydog Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Great job. :wink:
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Yep, been there! This summer I had to buy new shorts cause my "old" ones were literally falling off me :( I went from a 5x to a 2x and I couldnt figure out how I was going to get my fat butt into them, and you know what? I did. I don't know how, but I did! It took me 2 weeks of literally telling myself "You DO fit these!" before it actually sunk in.

Yesterday I picked up a pair of 14/16 capris and a size 1x top. My head exploded a lot. But it was a lot easier to accept that they both fit! I love being able to buy "nearly normal" clothes!!
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My friends and family tell me I look GREAT when I try on clothes that fit. I just am not used to having clothes "touch" me. I can't stand it. I put on a shirt that fits and usually end up throwing a black cardigan over it. Black cardigan is like my protective armor or something. I always feel safe in black. I am only half way to my ultimate weight loss goal, so someday I will feel comfortable, but it is something else I guess I need to work on like all the other improvements I am doing! I am feeling a little less tolerant of the huge clothes, so I am getting there...
  • bookwormwendy
    bookwormwendy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Oh, trust me, I get it! My husband tells me he loves my new curves but sometimes it is soooo hard to feel comfortable in my own skin. I have come a long way, 39 lbs lost, but still have so far to go (another 34). I know I look better but sometimes I still fear that I look fat trying to look skinny. I bought this great dress, a halter that kind of hugs, the kind of dress I've always wanted and my husband loves it on me. I can't get my nerve up to wear it! I think we all go through that. Just hang in there, try to listen to your wife, and give yourself time to grow more comfortable in your "new" skin.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your NSV, Jamie! That's swell.

Resist the urge to hide in baggy stuff though, and soon the smaller sizes will feel second nature to you!
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    hey man i am in the same boat...i used to wear 3XL and now i am down to an XL...i went from a 42 pants to a 36-38 depending on brands...It was very odd getting clothes that actually fit...but not when i put my older clothes on to wear around the house they swallow me and i feel very uncomfortable...listen to your wife..she will help you look good man.

Congrats
  • MrsNANSEE
    Options
    It does take time to get used to clothes fitting us rather than covering us :wink: Great job on your loss!

I think i like to feel covered too.Its all down to confidence in yourself.Your wife sounds amazing,listen to her
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    What I didn't expect was how hard it was to feel comfortable in smaller size cloths. I think I am so used to hiding in baggy cloths. My wife said that I looked bad in the larger cloths but I felt comfortable in them. When trying the smaller sizes I felt exposed and uncomfortable. She was honest and said that I looked great in them but it was so hard to get over it. I did not expect this at all. Has anyone else experienced this?

Definitely, yes.

I never was really huge in the first place, but I always wore slightly baggy clothes, probably one size too large. When I dropped the weight, it was easy to move from XL to L t-shirts because they were still loose, but moving to M required a tighter fit. Doing that was a huge mental struggle, and I'm still not over it. The pics I have posted here took a LOT of gut-wrenching moments to wear in front of other people and post here.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't want change because I was being cheap and I knew I would lose more weight. I bought two suits last December I have to replace them now because they can not take the coat up any more. I have gone from a 39 waist to a 29. It is so strange being able to into the size pants as my 17 year old. I hear people say all the time, especially when I least expect it, "I can tell you work out." or "You are so thin." It is weird but you get used to it. I think they want to say you good for an old guy. lol. But I feel great and look great. I am starting to buy new clothes because I only have 5 pounds to go now so I am a little more comfortable buying now. I didn't feel comfortable at first. Be proud of all of the hard work you have put in and show it off.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue to date...Not feeling the difference....working on it.

Congratulations on your success.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!