Sudden weight spikes?

I have gotten this a few times the last year and a half I have been focusing on my weight. I am 45 pounds down and about 5 to go to reach my goal, but I notice this from time to time. I will be under calories for 4-5 days at a time so I have no explanation for it and I work out 5 days a week. My weight will be steady then down a few tenths of a pound and then for 3-4 days it will spike and I go up 3-4 pounds. It goes back down after 3-4 days to what it was around, but does any one know what causes those weight spikes to happen?

Replies

• Justamanatee
    Justamanatee Posts: 9 Member
    I get them from time to time too. I can't say for sure, but here are my suspicions. :)

1) Things with lots of sodium cause you to retain way more water. Even when I'm under the calorie goal, if I ate food with lots of sodium, I'll gain, and then have to wait a few days for the excess that was retained to work it's way out.

2) Eating before I go to bed. Anytime I eat after 9:00, it's like it goes straight to my thighs!

3) Eating way too little on a day. Here I thought eating way less than usual would be good, but the starvation mode really is true. It's a tricky balance!

4) Not exersizing. Even when I skip one day, it's like I am punished, hehe. :)

Hope my guesses help!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    I get them from time to time too. I can't say for sure, but here are my suspicions. :)

1) Things with lots of sodium cause you to retain way more water. Even when I'm under the calorie goal, if I ate food with lots of sodium, I'll gain, and then have to wait a few days for the excess that was retained to work it's way out.

2) Eating before I go to bed. Anytime I eat after 9:00, it's like it goes straight to my thighs!

3) Eating way too little on a day. Here I thought eating way less than usual would be good, but the starvation mode really is true. It's a tricky balance!

4) Not exersizing. Even when I skip one day, it's like I am punished, hehe. :)

Hope my guesses help!

Pay attention to numbers 1 and 3. You can ignore 2 and 4. Meal timing doesn't matter - it's all personal preference. And rest days are beneficial. Your muscles need time to repair themselves.
    You are gaining because you are eating lots of high-sodium foods and/or your muscles are retaining water to repair themselves. In both instances, drink plenty of water. Take a rest day if you think it's exercise related. Eat lots of protein - it will also help your muscles repair.
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 224 Member
    I was going to say lol I was 187 on Sunday and now it is Wednesday and I am weighing in at 191.4. Only one day was I over my calorie goal since. I am taking a rest day today and then will hopefully see it drop back down over the next few days.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    This is helpful even though it's an old post.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    I have gotten this a few times the last year and a half I have been focusing on my weight. I am 45 pounds down and about 5 to go to reach my goal, but I notice this from time to time. I will be under calories for 4-5 days at a time so I have no explanation for it and I work out 5 days a week. My weight will be steady then down a few tenths of a pound and then for 3-4 days it will spike and I go up 3-4 pounds. It goes back down after 3-4 days to what it was around, but does any one know what causes those weight spikes to happen?

I can sometimes have a "spike" if I've had a heavier meal or something with a lot of salt. It usually passes after a few days. I did an experiment on myself last week where I had a very heavy meal, and it took about 4 days for the weight to track back down towards the original trendline.

Do you weigh yourself at a consistent time of day? Usually, first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom and before eating is a good time to do it. If I spot check myself later in the day, especially after drinking water, I will weigh a fair bit more. (Remember: a pint is a pound)

Also, digital scales can be inaccurate, and get out of calibration if they've been moved around, or if you're standing very off-center. Mine, you have to step on and step off so that it reads 0 until it turns off.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member

Hope my guesses help!

these are both false, meal timing has no significant effect on fat loss, and starvation mode doesn't exist